main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's the Hero?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Archimage, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    After discussing this topic a bit in the "Who's the Baddie" thread (along with several other discussions in other threads for months) and getting approval to create this thread, what are the thoughts and ideas on the new protagonist(s)?

Who will the hero be?
    - Luke's Child
    - Leia's child
    - Male
    - Female
    - A force user
    - Non-force user

What will be the background the character(s)?

How will they win?

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Leia's child, Female, Force user

Loupgarou and LunarMoth like this.
  3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Luke adopted an older son and a younger daughter as part of his work in a refugee relief program in honor of his mother. Han and Leia have a natural born older son and a teenage daughter.

Luke's teenage girl is the main protagonist. All of the children are force-users, but her. She has potential, but she is a Jedi-Runt.

There is a contagonist, instead of a guide, who is constantly tempting her to leave her hero's path. He is always whispering, 'You can't do it'. She has great faith. But is unable to utilize the Force as her cousins and sibling.

Her Father is cut down in battle and his body does not disappear. She vows to help and dedicates herself to solving this problem with every ounce of talent and energy she can muster.

She must defeat great evil, by outwitting great evil. She must come into her own as a Jedi. Her ability to overcome a severance in the Force and contact her Force Ghost Elders is her greatest achievement.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want a morally grey character that comes into their own over time. A reluctant hero if you will.

Dra---, The Hellhammer and StoneRiver like this.
  5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    There's only one hero in all the Star Wars movies. R2-D2. [face_dancing]

Lucas said he'd be in the ST too, so clearly he'll remain the hero this time as well ;)

6. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Lucas would make a good Hutt. Or one of those guys who feeds the Rancor. The hero will be one of the childen, Luke's or Leia's.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003

When you reach Lucas' age look as good, you will not. Or maybe you will exercise and whatnot.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Luke Skywalker.

9. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Darthsuggs I run and lift but by the time I'm Lucas' age, I'm sure all the craft beers and scotch will have caught up with me. I'll have no problems admitting I'm fat.

Darth Raiden and Darthsuggs like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Jar Jar Binks

11. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

You and me both brother.

12. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Han and Leia's child who has the ability to use the force but hasn't been trained and has lived a quite, normal life on Courscant since his/her parents wanted "something better" for him/her. THey will end up losing their parents in some kind of attack, and will be forced to take action and learn how to be a Jedi from uncle Luke. Anakin choose to go, Luke choose not to go but was then forced. This time the character will be forced right from the start.

Dra---, Mystery_Roach and Darthsuggs like this.
  13. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    If Luke has a child I'd like them to continue the dynamic of a father/child issues. In a Spielberg way not like Father vs Son/daughter like the OT. If Luke is rebuilding the Jedi Order perhaps he isn't a very present father. It's this kind of dynamic that gives Star Wars that human quality.

Dra--- and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  14. Darth Archimage

May 28, 2013
    A child or creation of the villain, who ends up denying the dark side.
    A villain turned hero, who is encouraged to try and save it's creator but knows the creator must die - and chooses to kill him.

15. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Shmi. The midichlorians in her uterus willed her back to life and de-aged her.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Marvin the Malicious Midichlorian

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think there will be a son of Han and Leia and a daughter for Luke, a non-related character and an alien sidekick to balance the group out, the droids will also tag along and there will also be a wise mentor figure to guide the group during their journey. Who knows what their personalities will be like but if it were up to me I'd make Han and Leia's son an unbeliever who has to find his faith in the Force throughout the trilogy. Luke would be a widow and his daughter would be independent and confident but this would be sort of a facade covering up her insecurities about whether she's strong enough to carry on from her father. If Luke, Han and Leia both have one child I really hope they are the dual protagonists of the story and they face the main villain of the trilogy together at the climax.

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Superman and Batman.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Also, rename this to "Who's the Goodie?"

Symmetry.

21. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

I think a good/interesting way to do that would be to make Lukes child more like Han.

Going with what I said earlier, Han and Leia are killed in some kind of attack, Luke and Lukes son/daughter show up to offer help but can only save the Solo child. There could be an element of the story were the younger Skywalker (maybe the groups pilot and mechanic) is jealous that Luke is spending time with, bonding with, teaching the Solo child.

Nenim Chela and Darthsuggs like this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There are many possible motivations the hero could have.

Maybe he secretly thinks he can't measure up to his/her parents and carries a huge chip on his shoulder.

Maybe he/she is secretly fascinated by evil grandfather and has to fight a fascination with the dark side.

Maybe he/she has a personal rival (could even be a sibling).

Maybe he/she is afraid of the force because of what it can do (grandfathers faith is surely a deterrent), believing it may be his/her destiny to fall to the dark side if he/she embraces it.

Maybe he/she is bored with peace and desires action.

Maybe he/she doesn't want to follow the path of the Jedi despite his/her heritage, preferring to lead a normal life.

In any case the MC's motivations should take centre in the story imo, not those of Luke, Han and Leia.

23. Darth Archimage

May 28, 2013
    "Whose the Goodie?"

24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Could this be Anakin?

Dra--- and Darth Archimage like this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I know I've shared much of this before, but it's been a little bit since the topic of ST heroes, in the general sense, has come up, so why not?

There are any number of heroes I'm interested in seeing either be introduced, or brought back, in Episodes 7, 8 and 9.

- I've said it before, for the new "main" heroes, what I really, really hope to see is the son of Luke Skywalker and the daughter of Leia and Han Solo. And preferably named "Ben" and "Jaina," respectively (thereby keeping the EU children of the Big3 intact, as far as the number of surviving kids, the gender, and names are concerned).

That said, in such a scenario, I would fully expect the folks working on the films to take these only as a starting point for the characters, while still free to do with them as they see fit in moving forward and shaping the story of the ST. That is to say, not beholden to Ben and Jaina's previous EU characterizations, storylines, physical descriptions, age, and the like (an example I've given before is, maybe Ben is a blonde, rather than a redhead, maybe Jaina is younger than in the books).

- I've seen the question of a son by Leia and Han come up. I'm on the fence with this, because I would like to see the post-ROTJ EU left relatively intact, and short of some really creative explanation, introducing a surviving young Solo male would likely toss a hydro spanner into the works. Still, I'd be quite interested in a Solo son, too, so I'd certainly try to find a way to make it work in my mind.

- I'd welcome Lando having the daughter that Billy Dee has mentioned (though not as a Jedi, as I think that between Luke, possibly Leia, and likely the next-gen Skywalker and Solos, there'd be more than enough Jedi in the lead characters). I've read some who have said that, you know, not every returning character needs to have a son or daughter, and I can see the truth in that. Still, having a second female in the ensemble lead join the traditional two males is something I'd be in favor of, and having the woman also played by a minority wouldn't exactly be a bad idea, either.

As far as the returning OT heroes are concerned, first and foremost, for me, is Luke. Not only is he my original Star Wars favorite, the story thus far sets him up as a pretty important character to the saga, to say the least.

Of course I'm excited for the return of both Leia and Han, as well, and, as with Luke, I genuinely feel the ST wouldn't be the same without either of them.

I expect to see Chewbacca return, Vector Prime be damned, and even though I mentioned being in favor of keeping the EU mostly intact, it sure would be nice to see the old walking carpet back in action again. I only hope Peter would be able to still be the man in the suit.

When word began to circulate to expect the return of certain OT characters, I fully expected to see Lando involved (I think he'd make a fine equivalent to the Chancellor of the Republic), but remarks both Williams and his agent (manager?) have made have left me wondering if it will happen.

Whether one counts them as SW heroes (I do), I think we all expect the return of the droids.

Now, to the question of protagonist.

I'm of the opinion that it would be a bold and creative decision to attempt to give us a series with dual-protagonists. I'd love to see both Ben and Jaina given equal narrative attention. That said, I know how difficult it is to write two protags in a convincing, dramatic and entertaining fashion, and I don't honestly expect it to come to pass.

If we cannot have such a thing, and we are left with the only option being the traditional single hero protagonist, well, the one single character I'm most interested in seeing explored, by a wide margin, is Luke's son. I have a few reasons for this. One is simply that Luke is my favorite character and my heart says I'd like to see his son sort of take up the mantle and carry on in the tradition of his dad.

Another reason I'm so interested in the character is the whole 'Skywalker father/son' thing. It's at the heart of my personal enjoyment of the saga, and regardless of whether or not Luke's son is the lead character in the new films, I'd really like to see the father/son theme from the previous six films culminate in a healthy relationship between Luke and his son. As I've had quite the rocky history with my father over the years (and I'm a still-relatively new father, myself), I think it's a sort of wish-fulfillment thing I'm hoping for. I know that might sound a bit wonky, but there are worse things to look for in the art we enjoy, so that's cool.

Also (and I know this is the least likely to apply with the films), Ben Skywalker is a character who, in the EU, has only just now begun to develop into an interesting character in his own right, and, sort of separate from the nebulous concept of the potential new movie heroes, I'd simply like to see a movie which, even loosely, focuses on his character.

Finally, the OP asks, "how do the heroes win?"

Well, I have no idea. In a gripping, emotional roller-coaster ride of Star Wars-y goodness, I hope! :D