main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Ewan McGregor's performance of Obi Wan satisfactory?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Derek4799, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Derek4799

Derek4799 Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2013
    I personally think he did a pretty good job. I think he is one of the plus sides of the pt. We don't get to see him a whole lot in the first one but I think he did do a decent job in it but the rest he just get better and better. I'll have to say his best scene is when him and Anakin are aboit to daul and after when he's telling him he's the chosen one etc. Ya it may of not of been tge best dialog but just the emotions he has in those scenes make the scenes good.

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I thought he did a great job as Obi-Wan. Probably the portrayal I liked best of an OT character from the PT.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Fantastic job - he turned Obi-Wan into my fav character by infusing a depth of character that absolutely shone through his performances - vocal inflection, subtle body language, all derived from Sir Alec and yet all uniquely his own.

4. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Yes indeed. Especially in Revenge of the Sith. He had some pretty funny/badass moments. Loved it when he jumped into the hangar on Utapau and just uttered "Hello there." That was awesome.

5. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    Can't picture anyone else as Kenobi tbh.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

6. LordThanatos

LordThanatos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 18, 2013
    I'm surprised someone would even ask this question.

7. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    If you watch many of the behind-the-scenes videos on youtube or star wars.com, you can see that Ewan put a lot, a lot, into being the Obi-Wan that was in the OT. I'm very impressed with how he turned out and I feel that he should be given a lot of credit for what he did.

8. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah, he is definitely in the top 5 of my favorites, he was fantastic.

CoolyFett likes this.
  9. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Does anyone else think Ewan McGregor played obi wan good?

10. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    He did fantastic, only dwayne johnson could had done it better

CoolyFett, V-2 and Darth Eddie like this.
  11. Master Sabira

Master Sabira Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2013
    I couldn't imaging anyone else playing Obi wan to be honest.

12. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I've known quite a few people that can't stand the PT, yet thought Ewan was a phenomenal Obi-Wan.

13. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    No, but I do think that he played him well :)

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

AllyoftheForce and Darth Raiden like this.
  15. PTRULES

PTRULES Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2013
    Great job as PT Obiwan, hopefully he can be a force ghost in the ST.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, I think he was one of the better performers in the prequels. I think he did well. A little flat from time to time, but definitely one of the stronger performances.

17. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Best... Video... Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cryogenic likes this.
  18. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Ewan McGregor did such a good job in the PT that when you watch the movies in order it seems like Alec Guinness is trying to copy his performance when he starred in the OT.

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Ewan McGregor was absolutely fantastic. He's one of the best things about the whole Saga.

20. Starwars_1977-2005

Starwars_1977-2005 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    Ewan Mc Gregor did as well as possible with a poorly written character : boring, flat, not funny jokes, etc, etc ...
    Just like most other PT characters.

Given that, he did much, much better than Hayden Whatsisname and Nathalie Portman. He 's a good actor. But he cannot do the impossible.

Lucas failed at directing actors and editing scènes in the PT, and Ewan suffers from that : He stands there, or walks randomly on the set, saying boring dialog, looking all too serious because he is supposed to be wise. All actors had to stand or walk saying boring expositional dialog and looking emotionless in the PT. What can an actor do with that ? Walk and talk, walk and talk, overplay friendship or worry, walk and talk, walk and talk, say a stupid, forced Buddy joke, walk and talk, walk and talk ...

It must be his worst role ever !!!!

21. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think he did a fantastic job playing Obi-Wan. He is one of my favorite actors in the entire Star Wars saga.

22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Damnit, man - you beat me to it!

And I think Ewan did a great job of portraying a young Obi-Wan - he really tapped into Sir Alec's performance in a big way.

23. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I think it was a great casting decision and Ewan did a great job considering the terrible dialogue and action he had to execute. He also had to link it with the great theatrical performance of Sir Alec Guiness and he excelled at that as well.

I still wish his character had more depth, he has a personality and wit but he really didn't have much to do (or change) besides "be a good jedi" and "have things happen to him". Yes, he lost his master, yes, he lost his pupil to the dark side, yes, he saw his colleges get murdered one by one, etc. but he never really learned anything or change in any way. He was this witty jedi/detective through the prequels and nothing more. Personally, I think it's a huge waste of character development given his importance in the saga. I know it's supposed to be Anakin's story, but that's no excuse to have such a poor (or non existant) character arch for him.

tam.k.fung.1 likes this.
  24. Starwars_1977-2005

Starwars_1977-2005 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    Exactly Ganger, it's such a waste. No character development.
    I find Mac Gregor touching in interviews : he seems so enthusiastic, so happy to play OB. Nice guy, really. Lucas was Lucky to have a bunch of popular actors ready to give their all in the new trilogy. But he wasted their talent and passion.

The only thing OB1 develops in the PT is ... a beard.

tam.k.fung.1 likes this.
  25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

I like to think that Sir Alec would have been pleased with Ewan's performance.