main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    This thread for those of us that aren't a subscription player and that can't ask your question on the swtor Forum.

Here you can post all the questions that you have in your mind about the game. I, personally think that it is better than every players posts a new thread everytime when they have a question in mind and it will be more tidy in this Forum.

In here you can also talk about other stuff relating to the game, but off topic are not welcome.

I hope this is alright for the mods....

2. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    I am a avid player, glady to help anyone in need.

3. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Heya guys, I need help on the Bounty Hunter Story Mission on Dromund Kaas. I am getting my backside handed to me by Mandalorians on the way to the Unfinished Colossus to collect my first of three bounties. In fact, due to the games horrible map, I'm not even sure I'm going the right way to get there. Do I really need to fight my way through a Heroic +2 section just to complete my bounty mission?

Rant: Why oh why did they have to make this game a MMO? In this era of facebook and twatter there is a common belief that no matter how good something is, having other people involved will somehow make it better. I honestly don't recall ever playing KOTOR and thinking how great it would be to share my world with scores of other people doing exactly the same quests as me while still trying to make me believe I am the only one there. I don't recall ever thinking how great it would be if the game forced me to play with other people just to get past a hard section. I love and hate this game. Rant over.

4. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I remember that mission, I recall it not being that hard to get through that spot, just have to move quick through it.

5. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    I beat it. Turns out I wasn't going in the right direction... [face_blush]

Now I have to collect my second bounty and I just can't kill Vereta Frabaal in the Family Cleansing mission. I can get her down to about 1/4 health before I get killed but I seem to be missing some useful skill or tactic that will wipe the floor with her. I have been trying a combo of Death from Above, followed by the Explosive Dart, a couple of rockets, an Electric Dart and Power Shot. I'm specced as a Mercenary with a handful of points into the middle tree at level 13.

6. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    I could help you, just let me know when you are going to play.

BTW I like it being an MMO. I always play with mi friends and we help each other. And play the flashpoints.
    Enjoy it man.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  7. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    This is the first MMO I've ever played so it's all new to me. I mostly play console but am giving serious thought to cancelling my pre-order for the Xbox One in favour of a pc capable of running SWTOR at it's full glory.

I would surely welcome your help, I don't have a mic or anything like that, mind. It would be nice to have an Old Republic friend to hook up with.

8. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Hello my fellow swtor players! ^^

I have just installed win 8.1 and I'm having a huge problem with stor, when I launch the game, the character selection screen will become like this: http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/f2389d-1381314348.jpg.

Can anybody give me some tips on how to fix it so I can play the game again?

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Windows 8.1 just generally stinks; I personally hate it. I'm glad I didn't install it on the computer I play SWTOR on.

10. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    If you are having significant difficulty there's one of 3 likely problems: 1. You're underleveled. 2. You're undergeared. 3. You need to properly understand your rotation.

If you are FTP you are very likely both 1 and 2. On your first character you want to be higher level than the mission level at all times (on subsequent characters due to presence bonuses, crafting, and other factors the leveling becomes significantly easier). Gearing is harder to gauge but as a rule of thumb you want gear to be ~double your current level in rating or better if at all possible. Getting around these problems as a subscriber is easy - just do more missions. If FTP things are more complicated, you should be doing every mission, and attempting as many heroics and flashpoints as you can. You may also simply have to grind out some kills for extra XP - focus on strongs and elites for better potential drops.

As to 3 the best solution is practice. Optimum rotations vary as level changes and abilities adjust, so there's so easy reference. As a mercenary, focus on abilities that maximize damage while minimizing heat accumulation, and don't shoot up in heat quickly at the start of an encounter.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  11. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    That's a very helpful post, thank you Mechalich :) I have just landed on Balmorra and was killed by the very first two enemies at the spaceport. I think they might have just had the jump on me because when I went back I wiped the floor with them fairly easily. However, it had me worried that my level 17 hunter might not be powerful enough to have left Dromund Kaas.

I'm not sure I understand how to get good gear. I have tried to have the best armour I can find equipped at all times but I can rarely see good, affordable armour at any vendor. Is it down to luck what gear I get?

12. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Ah, a common misconception about TOR. Credits are not for buying items. You will use credits to train skill upgrades and to do crafting (if you are a crafter) and possibly to buy things off the cartel market. The only items you should buy using credits are those sold by the 'Specialty Goods' vendors on various planets.

Commendations are what you use to acquire gear. Generally your character should try to keep as much gear as possible in Blue of the best level you can wear. Usually you do this by accumulating a set of orange gear and exchanging planetary commendations for new mods periodically (the easy way to acquire orange gear early on is to buy the 'Formal' set of social on Dromund Kaas, it is somewhat cheesy looking but it works, the female 'Elegant' version is much nicer).

A few quick combat tips: all enemy difficulties Weak-Standard-Strong-Elite deal fairly similar amounts of damage, at least if specced similarly (mobs have DPS, Tank, and Healer setups just as characters do). Therefore the central mod-killing approach is to fight weak to strong, killing the most fragile enemies first. This may have the added benefit of allowing your companion to agro the strongest enemy for a time, sharing the damage of too pools (dying when your comp has full health is inefficient). As a mercenary, you can further take advantage of this by using your CC to immobilize the most difficult enemy while killing the weakest, a key method of winning the Elite+two adds fights that form some of the tougher boss encounters in the storyline.

13. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks Mechalich! Where do I get the Elegant social set on Kaas and can I head back there without messing up any missions?

14. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    The vendor is in the Nexus Room Cantina, and unless you're on a mission with a timer, you should be able to go back there whenever.

15. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    I picked up the set but my current armour turned out to be better. Thanks, though, Ben Kenobi :)

16. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    I'm on my first play-through!

I'm a Sith Sorcerer, level 28. I'm currently on Tatooine and cannot wait to get to max level and start a bounty hunter.

17. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    What's your toons name? We could run some stuff together in the future.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

18. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    I hit level 18 this morning but it's starting to become quite a slog; I've been traipsing around Balmorra looking for a cave and I just can't get there. Every turn in the road leads to somebody wanting me to fetch something, plant something or destroy something. Even though there are flashes of genius in the dialogue scenes and I really live my character in those moments, they are getting slightly old now.

I miss those odd missions like KotOR's Dantooine murder mystery or the long conversations exploring history or morality like KotOR II's Nar Shadaa give a beggar money dilemma like it could have been if this was a single player game. The rp veneer seems too superficial, sacrificed for the sake of being able to play with other people. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just get on with the story missions but the game forces the side quests in order to make me powerful enough to head to the next planet or boss encounter.

I did have an interesting mission that gave me hope; a couple of droids wanted help, one had an emotion chip and wanted to save his buddy, while the other was all for the logical approach. Sadly it was a Heroic +4 so I thought I'd give that a miss.

19. Hello_Fett

Oct 11, 2013
    My name is Apri. I will have to check the server name, but it's the East Coast PVP server.

20. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000

You're right to a certain extent. Some depth did have to be sacrificed for the MMO aspect, but altogether it's still a game I was able to have fun with, and look forward to getting back to when my computer woes are over. BTW, hang on to the social set, or at least some Orange gear, as you level. The Mods you can buy with planetary comms should keep your gear current for very few creds.

In regards to the pacing, you'll have a better feel for it once you get your first char to 55. Some planets are just slow, or the mission flow is awkward, or some other problem along those lines. Keep trucking, though, and you'll find that there's plenty of cool stuff still to come. What server are you on?

Dark-Fox likes this.
  21. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    The Progenitor Europe iirc. Thanks for your words Ben Kenobi, I'll keep going :)

22. Hello_Fett

Oct 11, 2013
    I'm on Prophecy of the Five.

23. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    Ah then it's no use. I'm in Progenitor.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

24. Hello_Fett

Oct 11, 2013
    Dangit~!

25. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Indeed. TOR's storytelling is very much focused in a selective group of areas. One is the class quests. Another is the factional planetary quests - the Republic and Empire ones on each planet. Next in line, actually, is probably the flashpoints, or possibly the individual companion stories. The various single-player area quests are the least important and least innovative part of the game.

And, if you're a subscriber, you can skip most of them. TOR has chosen to burden the FTP populace with a huge XP penalty - both less earned per quest and no resting xp. This is basically a sentence to slog it out, because to remain properly leveled a FTP character has to complete nearly every, single quest in the game, including the bonus series. A subscriber, by contrast, can pretty much skip all bonus series, and space combat, and some planets more or less entirely (on my final three characters I totally blitzed most of Belsavis and Voss and Corellia with no problems) and still be in good shape.

To those who are FTP my advice is to embrace the group content as much as you can. Jump into Heroic missions and do flashpoints ( I know there's some sort of loot limit, but I think you can still do the daily quest for that, huge XP source there).

Also, if you find the story in general to be bland, role up an Imperial Agent, it is the solid consensus best by a huge margin (and personally, has the coolest companions, HK excepted of course).