main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, I finally got around to watching this. I didn't follow any of the spoilers going around before this movie was released, so I had no idea what I was going into. I have to say I liked it a good deal more than the first one though. And oh man, did they have me fooled...I seriously thought, "Oh **** they killed off Kirk...and there's no Genesis thingamajig to bring him back!"

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    http://www.geekexchange.com/khan-mike-johnson-on-the-upcoming-idw-comic-book-miniseries-76677.html

GEEK: Will the events of Star Trek Into Darkness somehow color the version of Khan we’ll see, despite the fact that it will be an earlier version?

MIKE JOHNSON: It will, but only after Khan is revived. His life takes a dramatically different course than it did in “Space Seed” and Wrath of Khan. To tease it a little bit: the circumstances of his revival affect him both physically and mentally in unexpected ways.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really don't get why they didn't ultimately kill off Khan unless the intention is to bring him back further down the road which is equally stupid.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The next one will be like a superhero film in that there will be multiple villains. Khan and the Borg and the Dominion team up! ...Oh wait, apparently the average moviegoer is terrified by anything Trek that isn't instantly familiar to him, so the Dominion is out and a few lines of Chekhov dialog with "v" pronounced as "w" are in.

Sarge and Coruscant like this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    So... Klingons, then?

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

All of which is unnecessary and stupid.

Not really. They can have Khan as a villain anytime they want him, whereas he was killed off in "The Wrath Of Khan" and you had pale imitations of him afterwards. It's about the almighty dollar.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ha, I get it.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    You know what would've been funny? If at the end of STID, they placed the cryotubes with Khan and his followers on Ceti Alpha VI, at the recommendation of old Spock

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Funny, but out of character for Ambassador Spock.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I strongly suspect Klingons. This last movie set up Klingons.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Hmm yeah I bought that comic this week to try it out. Reserving judgement on it until a few more issues are under its belt. Can't help but feel that if it was that interesting it would have been in the movie in the first place though.

And we need to see some Klingon Starfleet battles pls. K thx.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    So Khan is British... just because?

Yeah, that's much less stupid.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, the correct answer is, "Who gives a ****?" Why didn't people complain about a Latino playing an Indian? That's just as stupid, but Trek fans didn't give a damn. This isn't important in this film, because it serves no purpose and doesn't affect the story in the slightest. Perry White is black...just because. Agent J is black...just because. Electro is black...just because. Eletkra isn't Greek...just because. Bullseye is Irish...just because.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Nobody ever complains that James Caan doesn't look Indian.

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Erm, sorry to interject but Elektra was Greek in the films, just as she is in the comic book.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In other words, "just because". Do things happen for a reason? No, they happen just because. How thoughtful and intelligent. Things making sense, on the other hand - now that's stupid.

No, no, you've got it all wrong. Perry White is white, just played by a black actor, right? And Superman fans just don't give a damn. And Man of Steel is in the same continuity as the original film, right?

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This race argument is making meI-)

18. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I don't care if Perry White is purple pink or orange if he can play the character I don't care what colour.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004

I agree. It's just rehashing the same argument everybody had twenty or thirty pages ago. All in all, though, this is one of the most underrated and hilarious threads on the JCC.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a movie based on a cheesy television show. Who cares honestly?

21. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Isn't this a website dedicated to movies based on serials and Flash Gordon? Complete with mystical energy fields, lasers that go pew pew, and swords made of light?

Alpha-Red and Coruscant like this.
  22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    pew pew lazers are serious business ;)

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

She didn't look Greek, which was a major point of contention back when Garner was cast.

No, it's called casting without skin color being an issue and because the actor is right for the role, in the eyes of the director. That's what it comes down to.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm talking in-universe. Whether or not an actor is "right" for a role is dependent on more than just political correctness or whatever side of the bed the director woke up on that day or any other out-of-universe consideration. That's why they cast Zoe Saldana for the part of Uhura instead of going with, for example, Danny DeVito.

Casting is only a convenient distraction to hide behind. Irrespective of casting, the fact remains that Khan goes from someone who was identified as Indian on sight ( in the plot ) to someone who as part of a cover identity successfully poses as a native-born white Brit ( also part of the plot ). And "just because" remains an insufficient explanation for this change.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There was nothing in the film to suggest that Khan had plastic surgery done to him. Khan was Khan, using a different name for half of the movie. Kirk, Pike and the rest had no clue as to who he was, the same way they didn't in "Space Seed". This argument would work if Ambassador Spock recognized his voice, but not his face and say to Commander Spock, that someone did something to him. This is about IDW trying to explain something that didn't need to be explained. Don't you think if it was an important plot detail, that it would have been in the film and a 3D reconstruction of the late Ricardo Montalban, put together for a side by side comparison with Benedict Cumberbatch?

Or, let me put it to you this way. When Sean Connery quit as James Bond following, "You Only Live Twice", the producers had considered writing in a plot where James Bond has plastic surgery to justify George Lazenby in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". It was ultimately decided to not go that route, but for the fans, they included a scene where Bond goes through his personal effects in his desk drawer and pull out items from the previous films that Connery did. They even did a wink and a nod joke with Lazenby saying "This never happened to the other fellow". In other words, it didn't really matter that Bond now looked different. And so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.