main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Nice, always better to see it in picture form and that 1300 m Home One really doesn't look right. Just going off look and gut feel something bigger than 2 Km and maybe over 3 Km works a lot better.

I would hope it would take more than a few big Mon Cal ships to take down the Executor, may she rest in peace

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Must be a pain to climb down those though, especially if the ship is under attack.

Hey, would physically attached ties like that be defended by the ship's shields?

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The model used in Star Tours definitely looks bigger than Home One appears in any movie shot. It is the only time, IMO, that the vessels looks to be +/- 3km or larger. This shot is the one that makes Home One look the largest, but the angle of the shot makes things hard to determine exact lengths:

[​IMG]

It is interesting that the Nebulon-B frigate is behind Ackbar's cruiser, but still appears a solid size. The GR75 medium transport seems scaled roughly proper to a 300m frigate as well. Again, this shot really points to a ship larger than 1300m, but I am still thinking we are closer to the 2km +/- range, not 3km.

Ultimately, as Dr. Saxton points out correctly, the main thing that causes a presumed "bump" in the size is the hangar scaling. Which begs the question, which is "more" correct, exterior visuals when compared to fellow warships or the hangar bay when compared to the shuttle & Millennium Falcon?

Cause, as best I can tell, we can't have both. But, as I said earlier, I am as firmly convinced as I have ever been that 1.3km is just not correct.

It would be great to know what scale the model makers had in mind when they created the Medical Frigate model. This was long before the Mon Cal cruisers were built, so I would love to know how they scaled the frigate against the obviously larger Star Destroyer models.

--Adm. Nick

4. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Some new concept art from Rebels, making for the second nice wallpaper of the night after Sienar Fleet Systems:
    [​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They apparently come in two variants, either the pilot have to sit in them since launch, or there is some kind of tube or lock were they climb straight down into the fighter.

Properly, though seeing how SW shields are somewhat malleable under fire that might be less useful then one would hope.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Interesting support ships there.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Look a lot like those heavy freighters from Battlestar.

8. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    At first I thought they were Skipray BlastBoats. But now after looking at it again, and from the perspective shown, they're way too big.

Oh and in terms of firepower calculations, here's a site that explains how the ICS figures were come up with.
    http://www.scifights.net/SciFights.net/Star_Wars.html

9. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    Double post.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    of course, the size disagreement changes don't just apply to the capital ships...we've had different canon lengths over years for speeder bike, Luke' landspeeder, Jabba's barge...

I am a bit disappointed that the canonical "lengthening" of Executor did not result in revisions of the RPG stats...from gameplay, of course, there's still nothing comparable, but its remarkable a 19000m ship has the same fighter capacity, troop capacity, and armament as a merely 8000m ship

12. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I know the original Kumauri battleship is circa 10000 BBY

do we have an approximate date for Republic's derived Cal-class? If its before the advent of planetary shields, when did those come around?

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The first planetary shields came about 9400 BY, according to the EGTW.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

15. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Though I believe it should have been implemented much earlier in the timeline, I wonder what sort of defensive systems existed before the advent of full planetary shielding. Was there some sort of partial shielding or did they more depend on a active defense like an interceptor system or something like that.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we have any idea about how duros design looks like?

17. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    With the statements by Pablo during the NYCC presentation, I hope the new Rebels sourcebooks etc. will give a unique profile for the TIE fighter and the Star Destroyer. Basically, he said that the TIE fighter is intentionally based on McQuarrie's old ANH concept art, therefore it's not the same model as the filmed ANH one (shorter wings, bigger cockpit, etc.) The Star Destroyer will have elements of the ANH version, but also have design elements like the thruster baffles from McQuarrie's ESB concept art. Which gives me a headache as to what it could be classified as, since we only have Mark I and II to go by so far. Even EGTW didn't specify what the limited release variant Imperial models would be called.

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I am a bit confused as to why they decided to go that route. I am 100% for creating new vessels from unused concepts, but the decision on the TIE and the Star Destroyer is baffling in that they are so close to the final movie versions. All it does is create an unnecessary headache for minimum visual difference. Given the 5 BBY timeframe, I would of been way happier if they used the old ISD-I model, as it gets relatively little love compared to the ISD-II model.

I am hoping that in the end we can chalk up these minor differences as artistic liscence.

--Adm. Nick

19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It IS the ISD-I, with some ISD-II bits from McQuarrie's art on it. I remember seeing a hybrid model in ESB, now we might actually get some new info on these. :cool:

The problem with "artistic license" is that EGTW came up with a retcon for all potential "artistic license" cases involving ISDs. I just want info on these particular variants, that's all. :p

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Mk I * or Mk Ia is how it can be done.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen the original Republic Sienar Systems T.I.E. starfighter depicted yet, right?

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Nope. That we have not. :eek:

23. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Or even Mk. I/II depending on how many Imp-Deuce features are used (that's actually a nice classification for the ESB modified Imp-I's now that I think about it [face_thinking] )

24. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    As confusing as it could be, it might be pretty cool to get an Imperial-Ia, maybe get another 25,000 of them as well ;)

Adrian the Cool and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Star Trek ship guides operated with subclasses for the Constitution-class. LFL could easily do something similar for the Imperial-class.