main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 still on the cards?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Jan 28, 2013.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I would like to see another one. I actually really liked the last one with the exception of the over the top CGI stunts (and of course Shia LaBeouf would not have been my first choice for Indy Jr.) but I think a fifth movie with a great closing line along the lines of "I'm now a retired teacher" or something would be great, because it would be heartbreaking for everyone if it ended with his death.

2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I originally heard Indy 5 was on after LucasFilm revived the Indiana Jones series, but after the latest movie's lukewarm reviews, I didn't hear much about it afterwards. I'm glad that they can finally put their plans into play here. They won't have many more opportunities to continue the series like this, so I'm glad they're taking this chance.

3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Indiana Jones is a Lucasfilm property, as such, it currently belongs and is owned by Disney. That said, I believe Paramount does have distribution (I would assume both theatrical and home video) rights to the films for a certain time frame. They may also have distribution rights to any future Indiana Jones related projects; I don't know. Provided any sort of thing materialized in the future, if Disney had an issue collaborating with Paramount, they could always attempt to buy out the remainder of their deal, similar in fashion with what they did with the Marvel properties that Paramount originally had rights to.

Irregardless, I think Lucasfilm's main focus is entirely on the slew of new Star Wars movie. Whether or not a new Indy film is a good idea (personally, I think there's still potential), I sadly doubt Disney will want to focus on it anytime soon; thus we may sadly never see Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones again.

4. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Argh, I hate that feeling. They really need to work on one more Indy film simultaneous to the ST(like they did with Raiders and Doom). Because yeah, by the time the ST's done, Ford will be close to 80.

C'mon Lucas and Speilberg!

5. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    I'll simply copy and past a recent post I made on the Indiana Jones forum I frequent, The Raven at TheRaider.net:

I've given up hope that we'll ever get another adventure with Ford as Indy, but if the day comes that Spielberg and Lucas suddenly confirm active development, I'll be one of the first to whoop and squee and dance on the roof and shoot fireworks and play a trumpet at full blast to wake the neighbors. It's pretty clearly not happening anymore...but if it did, I'd be relieved that the franchise 'aint dead yet.

But funnily enough, for a time I was indeed angry at Lucas for perceived laziness, but the revelation that he's been hard at work writing a storyline for the Star Wars sequel trilogy has calmed me down. Of course he won't have time to nail down another Indy adventure when he's trying to plan out the future of his magnum opus.

So while I'm still saddened and bitter that Indiana Jones has more or less been aborted as a viable property, at least now I don't blame it all on Lucas. My anger has shifted to Disney for being the asshats who said the franchise "didn't factor into their decision" when buying Lucasfilm, which is a nice way of saying, "the character is not marketable to modern audiences, so screw him."

And yeah, I'm a little more...eccentric with my manner of speech on that forum. [face_blush]

Darkslayer, Giovs and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think it's nearly that simple @CryGoneGin-if Disney was comfortable putting up a movie about John Carter, an IP that has literally not been touched in over 70 years beyond in comic books and occasional references in other materials, I don't see why they would not be with Indiana Jones. It has more to do with Paramount having distribution rights to Indiana:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothy...t-a-disney-indiana-jones-movie-any-time-soon/

7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I would rather see a good Indy 5 than the ST.

Giovs likes this.
  8. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    despite all the hate indy 4 got i enjoyed it for what it was minus the whole hey indy your a dad without knowing for like 20 years.

i personally would love to see nathan fillion in it in some form. maybe even a rival of indys

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  9. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013

Disney could easily buy those rights as well (they have the power and money to make Paramount an offer they would be stupid to refuse), but the fact they aren't shows a clear lack of interest in the property. And besides, John Carter was a huge flop that embarrassed the studio, as was The Lone Ranger, so they probably will avoid further throwback-style films...except for Star Wars, of course, because the fanbase will keep it alive until the end of time, thanks to the franchise's "appeal to all demographics" nature. Sad but true for the pulp adventure fans, who are a minority demographic, there's no denying.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    They've already thrown nearly 200 million at Paramount for Avengers and Iron Man 3, though; why throw more?

I sincerely doubt that Disney went into either Lone Ranger or John Carter expecting to make much money-you don't get to be part of the top ten most profitable businesses on Earth with delusions that grand.

11. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
  12. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013

Sadly, I'm fairly certain they intended for both to be gargantuan hits, thus why their failures were so embarrassing to the company. It's funny, John Carter I really loved for its old-timey, throwback feel, very much Star Wars-esque, but Lone Ranger was a highly frustrating experience as it had an appallingly inconsistent tone, veering wildly from nightmarish violence to goofy slapstick action. I lament Carter's failure, as I feel it really deserved to be a hit and it irks me that the pulp fandom didn't help it out more during it's release, but with Ranger I feel relieved that it failed, as it truly was a messy disaster, and if it was a hit, it would give Disney the wrong idea of what works in a blockbuster like that and bode ill for Episode VII. The only thing worse than a truly bad movie is a deeply flawed movie with some good bits buried under tons of industrial-strength W.T.F. At least with bad movies you don't feel guilt trashing it, because there's nothing to redeem it.

Also, the reason the company became so huge was because many moons ago, they produced high-quality family entertainment that struck a profound chord with the public, and we rewarded Walt's conviction and insistence on quality with attendance at the theaters. But alas, the company truly has devolved into a crass corporate entity. That said, I still enjoy most of their current output (in particular, Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph were simply wonderful films).

13. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Thing is, Indy has a limited future unless you're willing to gamble on one heck of a Mutt film (for example) or a reboot, there doesn't seem to be much incentive for them to buy off Paramount's dibs on an Indy V.

Why they haven't thrown money at someone to make an Indy cartoon series or put feelers out to see if anyone would love to make an Uncharted-like Indy game..? *baffled shrug* Probably need someone to make the pitch themselves.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well Harrison isn't getting any younger, so they should either make it in the next couple years, or wait a decade or two to....*gulp*....reboot it?

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd love an Indy 5. However, I think they should set it up to be a finale - Indy retires in Atlantis or something (we all know that's what the movie will be about). Also it would be cool that Indy's story would conclude after 5 films - no trilogies, just a real 5-part story. I feel like Hollywood is oversaturing with trilogies just because they sell. Let's try to break the norm here George!

CryGoneGin likes this.
  16. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013

In fairness, if KOTCS indeed is the last film of the franchise with Ford's version of the character, it works excellently as an ending to his story. He's finally married, got a kid, and can now live happily ever after with the perfect woman for him. They could have actually put "And they all lived happily ever after" on the screen, and I probably wouldn't mind a bit.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013
    Double post, sorry.

18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya I agree, I just really want to see Indy find Atlantis lol

19. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Well Last Crusade had a perfect ending too, father and son reconnected, the heroes ride off into the sunset.

But we got Crystal Skull too(thankfully), which also had a perfect ending.

Both cases, where if they would've stopped there, I would've been ok with, but I'd still love to see Indy 5 with another perfect ending(as long as that ending doesn't mean death...which wouldn't be perfect anyway, lol)

Either way, Indy should end with Harrison, George, Steven, and John Williams.(I know George is "retired", but I'm willing to bet he'd come back if Harrison and Steven do). No reboots, and no movies if those 4 aren't involved.

I would love a cartoon series though.

Darkslayer and CryGoneGin like this.
  20. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013

Me as well. Here is some awesome concept art for the style of a potential cartoon show:

[​IMG]

CaptainRegor and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  21. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013
  22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Getting Ford to play the part is the smallest problem to a new Indy film-what the movie is going to be about is the biggest issue, and of course syncing everyone's schedules. There's a fairly small pool of things Indy could hypothetically go after-they set the bar pretty high in Raiders with probably the most well-known religious artifact in the Western world as the subject of the film, and whatever it is has to have some palpable value-invincible army, immortality, power over nature (Temple of Doom) unlimited knowledge(Kingdom); that the more ethereal quests (Doom and Kingdom) are also less popular films to an extent isn't really a coincidence, IMO.

Offhand, it's almost certainly to be a Christian artifact-they alternate between Western-centric and non between films.

23. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013

The story has to acknowledge and explore the aftermath of KOTCS, in my opinion. Otherwise, what's the point of Indy now being an Associate Dean, a father, and a husband? That no doubt will shake his world up if he still wants to go adventuring, and it should be explored: Indy's struggle between his own personal desire to go off and do stuff, and his obligations to family and teaching. It would give it a better emotional grounding than KOTCS had.

Of course,it shouldn't be just a character drama. There still needs to be a MacGuffin, a quest, a villain, fistfights and chases, and so on.

Darkslayer and DarthBoba like this.
  24. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    CryGoneGin likes this.
  25. CryGoneGin

Aug 28, 2013

Well, if you really want to know how I'd do Indy 5, I'd be glad to message anyone a synopsis I wrote up.