main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No way they can be so foolish. No way. They'll be fine in the midterms if they just lay low and let the majority of the unengaged population forget about this over the holidays, etc. Towards the end of this last one, the money men (Kochs) were telling the Tea Party to give in- no way they'll allow a shot at more seats and a potential majority in the Senate be jeopardized with more of this crap.

Quote me when they do shut the government down, though.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Count on it.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Even if they don't actually shut it down again, they are going to be making plenty of noise up until the deadline. And that noise is in many ways just as dangerous. The credibility of our nation is literally being sacrificed for this strategy that in the end never had a chance of winning. It's insanity. And I'm a small government type myself. But these clowns are horrible stewards of small government ideals. They need to learn how to play ball.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Agree. The problem is in the philosophy, though. They are elected by hillbilly primary voters who think patriotism is destroying the Federal government.

5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's a failure of leadership. The republican leadership needs to sell the message directly to the people who self identify as "Tea Party", this is a losing strategy. If you oppose the ACA, if you believe in small government, this is not the way to achieve those goals. This is nothing but suicide on a large scale. Yes, some of these guys will survive due to gerrymandering and the primary system. But they will never, ever achieve national results using these ridiculous reckless tactics. And that is what Boehner should have been saying, day in and day out, for the past several years.

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Again, I agree. But he's terrified of being primaried, so he will play along, even though I'm convinced Boehner hates the Tea Party for hijacking his speakership. Fact is, moderates and independents don't turn out for primaries, its the talk radio crowds who vote.

When moderate Lugar got primaried by Mourdock after 30+ years entrenched as a top power player in the Senate (and in an 08 Obama state), the rules changed, and thus the power of the fringe came on. 2010 with the Connecticut witch lady and her friends looked like it could have been an aberration, but when Lugar lost, the message was sent clearly that this was not a one-time deal, its going to happen every election. Then you have absolute degenerates like Palin going on TV last night listing her targets for the midterm primaries, including Senator Graham.

Its bullying, plain and simple. Politics by any means necessary, and that is a scary truth.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's why they need to sell that message directly to the tea party itself, directly to the voters. They need to hammer it home, relentlessly. Eventually they will start to come around, the only thing they are going to get out of these tactics is assuring that the democrats will retain the Senate, gain ground in the House, and maintain the White House.

You want to do something about the ACA, you have to pursue strategy that wins elections. And wins them on a national scale, not just in their own perfectly drawn districts. The only way to win, is to win.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Wendy Davis running for Governor of texas? Well let's just pass a law to restrict women from voting

As of November 5, Texans must show a photo ID with their up-to-date legal name. It sounds like such a small thing, but according to the Brennan Center for Justice, only 66 percent of voting age women have ready access to a photo document that will attest to proof of citizenship. This is largely because young women have not updated their documents with their married names, a circumstance that doesn't affect male voters in any significant way. Suddenly 34 percent of women voters are scrambling for an acceptable ID, while 99 percent of men are home free.​

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The problem is the Tea Party isn't rational because I am damn sure establishment Republicans have been telling them these tactics were never going to work. Honestly, the GOP needs another electoral ***-whopping, particularly in the mid-terms. Because if that happens, the establishment types will have their excuse to finally cut bait on these clowns for good.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Katana_Geldar likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    In a half assed sort of way they have. But they haven't gone to the mat with it. They've been to cowardly to get behind that message in any sort of a forceful way. A lot of the establishment has been watching from the sidelines. This is at it's heart a failure of leadership.

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    And just to be clear, I do not self identify as either Republican or Tea Party. I am a small government minded independent. I have no interest in joining a team. I even have been known to vote democrat on occasion, depending on the issues of the day.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Yeah, I'd say I am homeless as well when it comes to a party, and I'm fine with that. Socially progressive, fiscally moderate makes me either a weak Democrat or a RINO. I've been called worse. That's why I like the nolabels team a lot, Huntsman/Bayh/Manchin- they at least are open about their moderation, which is taboo in politics at the moment.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Cruz has gone on record saying that's exactly what he and his Tea Party allies plan to do. Also this time around they will make sure the country defaults as well.

**** Texas. Seriously **** it.

15. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Are they really this stupid? If the country defaults, they are going to get smoked in the mid-terms............gerrymandering be damned.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Even Ted Cruz knows where his bread is buttered. If Charlie and David Koch tell him to shove it, we won't hear a peep.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think they have proven that they really are this stupid.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Another Congressman has died today- this one was still in office, CW Bill Young, R-FL 13th.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well there's goes another seat to a Tea Party *** (come on, it is Florida afterall.)

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    You're cold as ice, Charlie Murphy.

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That is just pathetic of them. Let's hope this becomes big news, and Wendy Davis is the one to finally turn Texas blue again.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As I think I've mentioned...it's funny, in a pathetic way, that they know that they can't sell their message well enough if everyone is allowed to vote, and therefore they must disenfranchise entire groups of people in order to win.

Have they considered, oh, I dunno, actually trying to sell the idea of their message being palatable to the general public in 2013?

Oh, wait...it isn't.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    **** Texas and **** Ted Cruz, but not literally of course.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Engh. While I definitely was not happy with him as a governor and would not want him to be president, that part of the Constitution really is archaic and should be changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.