main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The 181st Imperial Discussion Group: Champions of the Force!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Grey1, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Being a Jedi Knight used to mean something, too. I've taken to calling it Force User Inflation, and it's the eminently foreseeable consequence of lightsabers being the most recognizable symbol of the franchise. I'm not sure what exactly to expect from the Sequel movies, but there's no way they're going to change that.

purplerain likes this.
  2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Pretending to have started with LOTF? Don't make yourself younger than you are! o_O

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Wait, what?! They did that in LoTF?

4. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm too young to remember correctly, I only just started myself. With Kenobi.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Interestingly, this book uses the term "defenders of the Force", as if describing a threat to the Force itself.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For my next trick, I'll pretend to have read it! :)

Grey1 likes this.
  7. The Compeer

Jun 12, 2013
    The sabotage of each others fighters refers to DNT, IIRC. I'm not too clear on what "slagging each other off" means in this context, so I can't pin down what incident that refers to. But yeah, infighting going too far started well before FOTJ for the Jedi.

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Kyp Force pushes Corran into a wall in Dark Nest, IIRC, which is apparently a big insult because Corran can't use the Force for telekinesis.

I'm okay with there being scrub Jedi, it's going to be a consequence of inverse ninja law applied to the Jedi order in its prime. The films kind of set up the Sith as being immune to inverse ninja law on account of there only being two; when stories violate that is when we get scrubs. This isn't necessarily a problem in the earlier cases, the Brotherhood of the Sith had a lot of fallen Jedi but Kun and Qel-Droma were the two Dark Lords, or Kun was the Dark Lord and Qel-Droma the apprentice. Likewise with Revan and Malak, though Darth Bandon was a scrub.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That was a supremely jerk-wad move, wasn't it? I wonder why Denning thinks it's cool to write the Jedi as bickering children.

10. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    KJA definitely does fantasy better than he does sci-fi. Exar Kun is cool, aural sensors and brain modification aren't.

11. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013

It also contrasts badly with Denning's portrayal of the Jedi as invulnerable,all-knowing, holier-than-thou supercommandos.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. The Compeer

Jun 12, 2013
    It seems pretty clear that Bariss Offee picked the wrong Jedi Order to attack as irredeemable militarists.

Vialco, Gorefiend, Ordo N-11 and 3 others like this.
  13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    In fact, it meant so much that Nadd wasn't one.

14. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    It was the third month of Jedi Academy discussion. The troops were getting tired of pointing out KJA's flaws and had to retreat to Denning's shortcomings.

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

I'd like to point out that KJA and Denning have never been seen in the same room. So theoretically, we might still be on-topic :p

darklordoftech and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    KJA's books are so light on substance there just isn't much to discuss.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Like JJM should have done with Kenobi, KJA should have slipped in one small continuity error. That would have ensured 20 more pages of discussion.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    No wonder Marka Ragnos died before he could "record" the content of the amulets.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Or you can go TCW route for 500+ pages.

Lugija likes this.
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Fun factoid: Since Anakin's birth in Dark Empire II didn't occur until mid-'95, Dark Apprentice is actually his first appearance.

Grey1 and darklordoftech like this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    But he participates in a Wall of Light with Luke and Leia in Dark Empire #6: The Fate of the Galaxy from October 20, 1992!

Grey1 and darklordoftech like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That was not the Wall of Light technique he participated in, it was Force Harmony:-B

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    These two powers seem to be a distinction without a difference.

"A wall of light was an immense manifestation of potentially destructive light side Force energy created by the focused power of a united Jedi front. When performed successfully, a wall of light allowed participants to effectively contain or purge the power of the dark side from a specific location, or sever an especially dangerous darksider from their Force connection."

"Force harmony was a light side Force power that allowed several Force-users to join their Force energies together in a pure and powerful manifestation of the light side. Bathing them in light side energies, the ability protected users from dark side powers and could sever opponents from the dark side entirely."

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Fine, fine, first appearance outside the womb.

Still, Jedi Search is the first time his name is uttered in canon.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Han Solo, Jr.!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.