main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Doug Chiang back for Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mystery Roach, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Roach, I was speaking rhetorically about the chrome plated flame war, but I agree with all your points. ;)

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  2. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    A compromise? In the sequel trilogy, the galaxy is slowly returning to the splendor and high-tech look of the prequels, but there are still many worlds yet to get the make-over? That could be neat to see: the heroes travel from one Republic-restored world, to a planet still dirty, lived-in and oppressive-looking?

In honesty, I still don't get the dislike for the aesthetic of the prequels. When you are exploring different eras of a fictional world, it would be silly and a wasted opportunity to keep the same look and feel in every period. The Old Republic was supposed to be lavish, grand and spectacular in appearance, to reinforce the irony of this government actually being horribly corrupt and ugly deep down. Forgive me for the potential insensitivity of this next remark, but I consider the look of the Empire-era galaxy to be equivalent to a slum or ghetto: a galaxy driven to decadence due to governmental neglect.

Damn, I keep accidentally clicking the "Reply" button when I want to edit a post!

3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Sort of... Design wise, the Prequels can be equated to the U.S. in the late 1940's / early 50's, while the OT was clearly based in the 1970's. The aesthetic of the ST will be interesting to see.

Echo-07, Mystery_Roach and LawJedi like this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The '80s, of course, then! You know: leg warmers, synth pop, sport coats, one white glove on one hand, lots of rouge make-up, the moonwalk, a talking car, and so on. You know it makes sense! Besides, that's when most of the diehards came of age... so, commercially foolproof! Make it happen, JJ!

5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    When the sale to Disney happened, GL and KK claimed there was enough material to do 100 Star Wars stories. I'm thinking a Holocron and a Flux Capacitor, and we're good to go. Where we're going, there are no roads. :cool:

Echo-07 likes this.
  6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Actually, the information for the Chiang/McCaig panel at Celebration Europe did confirm that they are both working on Episode Seven.

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Thanks. I thought it was implied that they would be, but I did wonder if they confirmed it on that panel. Glad to know it's official.

Yeah I knew you were being facetious, but I couldn't help addressing your comment literally anyway.

LawJedi likes this.
  8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    It would be interesting to see the ST have the look of our modern day technology.

CryGoneGin likes this.
  9. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

Ahhh okay, good to know!

10. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    One of them I believe said something about "drawing a female Jedi and the Falcon" was cool.

11. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013

To clarify, I liked your post for how odd of an idea it is. Not making fun, it's genuinely a fascinating thought, though it rapidly stops making sense after a few seconds of thought...

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

I've updated the Confirmed Information thread with this... thanks.

13. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Yes, definitely a 50s aesthetic. I just noticed recently the similarity between the naboo fighter and the yellow hot rod from American Graffiti.

14. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I think Anakin's speeder from AOTC was intended to mirror the hotrod from American Graffiti:

[​IMG]

Echo-07 and CryGoneGin like this.
  15. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
  16. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Even though I did not care for Man of Steel that much, I will not lie that the artwork/design of a lot of things in it were very impressive and unique. I think that's great that he's putting in his two cents as well.

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I can't say I'm terribly impressed with his resume, but I'm having a hard time separating my feelings about many of those films from what his work on them might have been.

LawJedi likes this.
  18. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    He also does sculpture - they could have him working on macquettes and masks.

19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Watch Prometheus and then MOS. I don't know which one actually came first in terms of pre production concept art, but it appears to me that MOS was heavily influenced by Prometheus and the other earlier Alien concept designs (including Ridley Scott).

I really love the designs/concepts for the prequels... from the Naboo Starfighter to General Grievous... and for me they are very much as brilliant as the OT... but for different reasons. I think that the fact that the OT is a more iconic set of films helps elevate the iconic status of the designs... it's a bit like the chicken an egg - which came first... iconic films or iconic designs? Also - as we discussed in the other thread... and this is in no way meant as a slight to the OT, but part of the brilliance of the OT's design is it's simplicity... be it the angular geometry of a star destroyer or the ball with a fin either side of a Tie fighter. PT designs are more sophisticated/complex I think, in that they are designed to be their own thing, but have to also be reminiscent of/and reference existing 'Star Wars' iconography. :)

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  20. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Actually MOS and Prometheus had very close productions schedules. MOS was originally ready for a November 2012 release and was in the can by then, mainly because of the big lawsuit over Superman and Siegel/Schuster's heirs. WB had a possibility of loosing the origin story of Superman after December 31st of 2012 (which of course WB won the suit so there is no worries now). So they had to have the film completed by that date. They actually had very close pre-production schedule so I don't think they had heavy influence on one another.

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Hate to be nit-picky but it was actually George whos stated that he gave Disney enough material to make SW movies for the next hundred years. So maybe not 100 movies or stories but still quite alot.

I'm hoping they continue with the main episodes indefinitely. It would be fascinating to see what Episode XX looks like in comparison to Episode IV.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
  24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i've heard people saying that they like chiang but can't stand mccaig and that ep 1's style was much better than 2 or 3's. they fail to realize that chiang also designed much of ep 2 and 3 before those films started shooting although he's not credited in ep 3. in the mcquarrie retrospective videos chiang talked about his first mustafar designs

Saga Explorer and Dak Oolron like this.
  25. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    I love Chiang's Star Wars design - it's why I'm excited to hopefully get a glimpse of some new ship designs in the next trailer. The x-wings, ties, and Falcon are all cool, but I want to see more of the galaxy, new stuff... I'm assuming that the "popsicle speeder" was his design. It has a lot of elements of his style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.