main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mommy, where do baby Jedi come from?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    That's absolutely not true at all, TPM doesn't reveal Midi-chlorians have any use for force potential. The only thing it explains is that microscopic organisms tell you about the force, so I guess the more you have, the easier it is to hear them or something. Plus, they have no mention other than one passing one in the next two films. It also takes away all the mysteriousness of the Force.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Therefore more potential you have to more easily connect with the Force.

No, it doesn't. Midi-chlorians are explained to be a link between a living being and the Force. The latter is not explained or even addressed, therefore no mystery is taken away.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Yet people with less midi-chlorians, such as Palpatine or Yoda, are better fighters at their peak than Anakin.

"It surrounds us binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Jedi Master Yoda. The "crude matter" he is referring to is the physical aspect of a Jedi. Take that as you wish.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Even if true (which is not proven anywhere, specially "Anakin being at his peak" in the films) it doesn't contradict what I said.

I take that quote in context to what he was trying to teach and explain to Luke, and not out of it just because I want to. What that quote means is that Luke shouldn't rely on his body's strenght/size/etc to try to lift the X-wing. As Yoda explains, "my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is". His connection with the Force makes it possible to do things he wouldn't normally do. In fact, it explains his abilities when he duels Dooku, which you (ironically) were arguing against in the other thread. "Size matters not". It's the connection and attunement with the Force that matters.

5. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    He has the potential to become a better Jedi than Yoda or something. And he doesn't. And let's no get into the "Chosen One:rolleyes:" aspect of this.

He is talking about how the you don't need the physical strength to use the Force, but the spiritual, calming your mind. If midi-chlorians were so important to your force potential or ability, why didn't Yoda teach Luke, the last Jedi, about them? And apparently size does matter in his duel with Dooku, as he can't defeat him with a lightsaber despite the fact he is much stronger in the ways of the force.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There's a duel between him and Obi-Wan that explains why he doesn't reach his full potential. It involves lava and a black suit, I'm sure it's not hard to find.

One could say the same about lightsaber training. But then again, just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

What?! Since when was his size relevant during his duel with Dooku or its outcome? Not having good arguments is one thing, makes things up is another (and completely unnecessary).

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Keep this on-topic.

Unless all of your "lightsaber dueling" talk is a metaphor for teh sex.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That would potentially seem to miss the point of Anakin's unusual conception. Whether one believes Anakin to have been created by the Force or by the Sith, either way the idea is that his high midichlorian count was something that came to him by way of this unusual event as opposed to its having had anything to do with Shmi's characteristics.

9. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Force sensitives can crop up in non-force sensitive parents. The only obvious example I can think of is Anakin, but it happened with Palpatine in Darth Plagueis. Although due to Tenebrous' experimenting, both of Plagueis parents are force sensitive. Tenebrous obviously thought there was a genetic component to making a powerful force user. I think Palpatine proved that wrong.

10. Snivvian

Snivvian Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2012
    It's okay to have sexual relationships, and maybe children, as long as there's never any personal attachment? Yeah, right: that's a safe bet.

11. carlos chavez

carlos chavez Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2013
    me and a couple friends were talking, and a question poped up. we were wondering if jedi die virgins. what do you guys think?

12. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    The films say only that attachment is forbidden. Nothing is ever really said about sex so I imagine that there are some Jedi who die virgins, some Jedi who have casual sexual encounters, and some Jedi who get involved with close friends but work hard to maintain a "detached" state.

As for Lucas, he's said:

But Lucas revealed that despite their monastic regime, Jedi were permitted to have sex.
    "Jedi Knights aren't celibate - the thing that is forbidden is attachments - and possessive relationships."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1989505.stm

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Giovs like this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, Anakin and Luke died and they weren't virgins

14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think the Jedi Council was cool with the whole "friends with benefits" thing, but didn't like it if it grew into something more.

15. M. Strain Jr.

M. Strain Jr. Jedi Knight

Nov 23, 2013

True. After all, Yoda did say he had gooood relations with the Wookies.

16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Luke died? When?

17. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't think anything is ever said about sex being forbidden. Not getting into other species, sex is a natural human function, just like eating, breathing etc. No reason for the Jedi not to.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

EU Universe

19. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Dude. That's not an answer lol. For instance: Obi-Wan died on the Death Star in ANH.

20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The exact manner and time of Luke's death is unknown. But there are the Legacy comics set 100+ years after ANH, and Luke appears as a Force-ghost to one of his descendants.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Do all Jedi die virgins? Of course not. Do some? Of course.

How many is hard to say, but considering the religiousy/monkish/vagabond, detached, ascetic life they tend to lead, I'm sure the percentage of virgins is much higher than the rest of the population.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Do Jedi die virgins?"

*narrowing down the list of at least ten smartass answers that popped in my head at the same time when I read that*

AHEM. OK, proceeding...

They weren't allowed to get married, nobody said anything about sex.

23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Mod action: Merging 'Do Jedi die virgins?' thread with earlier 'Mommy, where do baby Jedi come from?' thread

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I refuse to believe that a maverick like Qui-Gon died a virgin. Also, I believe that Obi-Wan totally hooked up with both Siri Tachi and that Madalorian hippie queen

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think there's hints in Clone Wars Gambit that him and Taria Damsin are "friends with benefits" as it's sometimes put.