main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT you admit which movies you haven't seen that everyone else has

Discussion in 'Community' started by jacktherack, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Indiana Jones movies, including the three good ones
    ET

MrZAP likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not sure where that was but I caved after about the first 10 minutes. Boring, especially Cruise.

3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    History of the World, Part 1 is pure gold.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Blazing Saddles fan myself, though both Spaceballs and History are good.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What the hell is wrong with you people? Top Gun is ****ing awesome.

Your egos are writing checks your bodies can't cash. You've been busted, you've lost your qualifications as YJCC leaders three times.

By admitting that you haven't seen Top Gun, you've done a very brave thing. What you should have done is land your plane.

6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Iron Man 3
    Man of Steel
    World War Z
    Gravity
    The Wolverine
    Elysium
    The Last Exorcism Part II

Master_Jacen likes this.
  7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    The Lion King

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The Shawshank Redemption is the only really notable one I can think of. Some part of me wants to say Shane, The Searchers, and a bunch of other classics, but I think knowing about those is a rarer and rarer thing nowadays.

A movie that I saw well after I should have watched it was the Richard Donner Superman - and it was thoroughly unimpressive. I guess it was great when it came out, but even the father/son themes feel wooden to me.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I haven't seen Avatar or the live-action Transformers films and a bunch of other flash in the pan popcorn stuff that grosses so well that most people see it at some point, because I am an obnoxious film snob.

MrZAP and Master_Jacen like this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This was well and truly a bad movie. It confronts us with such "humorous" situations as "what if Darth Vader had a huge helmet?"

That seems like an extremely impoverished way of going about things. Taking that example, it doesn't point to any flaw in the costume design of the actual Star Wars films, nor does it employ those films to make some interesting observation. It's not even a particularly funny absurdity. It's just confirming that, yes, stupid costumes look stupid, and is contextualized to Star Wars.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  11. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Gone with the Wind
    That 4th Indiana Jones movie
    Man of Steel and other Superman movies made in recent years

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've never seen it either. I had a co-worker who kept hounding me about it and they finally brought the DVD in and told me I had to watch it. I took it home, let it sit by my TV for three days, and then took it back to them and told them that I watched it and it was awesome. I don't think God will hold it against me. I have it on good authority that he doesn't like Disney either.

My other major one would be The Godfather (or its sequels). I just don't like mob movies.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  13. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Goodfellas

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Hear, hear. Kids these days have no ******' clue.

Admittedly, the film should be experienced solely for the awesome 80's vibe, sounds and attitude. Yes, the story is wafer thin, but that's a vice that has affected lesser and even better movies and will continue do so long after we're dust. And yes, the dogfights look a little implausible, dated and fake (old US fighters passing off as Russian MiGs, really?). But it's all about the goddam attitude, folks. Great balls of fire, indeed!

EDIT: And to those that haven't seen the Indy Jones films, or even the friggin' Lion King...what the hell is wrong with you people?

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "I want some BUTTS!"

"That's right! Ice. Man. I am dangerous."

"Whose butt did you kiss to get in here anyway?"
    "The list is long and distinguished."
    "Yeah? Well so is my Johnson."

Yes, attitude. :D

And Tom Skerritt and Val Kilmer in one of their best performances.

As far as the story...it's one of those movies, like many of its time, where you just shouldn't nitpick the awesome. Even if you're Amy Farrah Fowler.

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Apartment
    Back to the Future
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Shawstank Redemption
    Shane
    Rio Bravo
    City of God
    Andrei Rublev
    Paths of Glory
    The Great Dictator
    Cool Hand Luke
    La Strada
    Fanny and Alexander
    Lost Highway
    The Elephant Man

this started off as relevant to the topic, but then descended into gaps in essential film studies

MrZAP and Master_Jacen like this.
  17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Oh yeah, forgot the Back To The Future trilogy. :p

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    GREAT SCOTT!!!

[​IMG]

Download the trilogy from somewhere and watch it today.

Seriously.

...OK, I suppose I should play.

I haven't seen The Matrix trilogy.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Really? I watched it as a kid and didn't understand anything that wasn't airplanes. I actually like it better now.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was forced to watch Gone With The Wind in highschool. It's a pretty looking film but otherwise so freaking boring I wanted to jump out a window.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    This thread...is making feel old and obsolete. More than any ******* JCC thread should have a right to. [face_frustrated]:(

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think The Matrix is a must see, especially now.

Maybe when the first one came out it was a big deal due to the visual effects, but it was copied and parodied so many times over the next few years that it got old fast. By the time the second and third came out it was almost ordinary.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't care that much about seeing it.

If I remember correctly from a temp boards discussion, I'm going to be dodging large projectiled objects for saying that.

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    What kind of logic is that? That's like saying no one should watch Star Wars because it was only a big deal at the time.

You should absolutely watch The Matrix.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, but the original Star Wars films (excepting ESB) were tolerable. The Matrix "trilogy" is terrible and the first is a formulaic piece that leans heavily on pop philosophy and now-outdated special effects. Movies that were only technical achievements aren't really worth seeing for the reaction they used to inspire. Avatar is probably the prime example there.

FRAGWAGON likes this.