main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well, that's not what I expected, Dant... ;)

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    If it'd been Benedict Cumberbatch, I wouldn't have noticed there was a car.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Depends on the model of the Impala he'd be lying on...

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Are you TRYING to kill me?! :p

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Probably, Dant... ;)

New topic: So, apparently I need to either get a new hard drive to install Photoshop onto or get a new version of Photoshop, as Photoshop 7 doesn't recognize drives or free drive space greater than one terabyte in size. Which is a shame because I wanted to use it to create a flyer to advertise a commissioned model building studio I want to start up. The folks at the hobby shop I frequent are only too happy to host my adverts, as they've seen my work and know I'm capable of putting together some good stuff.

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I wonder if my son would be upset if I watched his football game from the car. It is freezing out there with wind gusts of 36 mph. I hate the cold.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'm sure he wouldn't mind. It might help to pay close attention and make sure to relay your witnessing of any nice plays he or his friends make. :)

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I just spent the first half of the game literally freezing my butt off. Metal bleachers in the winter are cold. It is halftime and I am defrosting in the car. It is 42 to zero. Our team isn't very good. :(

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, my dad sent me an image of a yellow tabby cat, asking if it's the cat who ran away. Tommy, who ran off, is white and yellow, so I told him that no, that cat isn't Tommy. He sent me three other images of this cat and no, that cat is all yellow and Tommy has a very prominent white chest and belly. Thus, no, that all-yellow tabby cat is not Tommy.

I wonder if he'll send another pic and ask the same damn thing a third time.

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity, Trak? :D

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    JL, it's a good thing neither of your sons are hockey players. I remember when my little brothers were in hockey. I never went to any of the games, because freezing my toes off wasn't my idea of fun.

So, I was struggling up the ramp of death (this stupidly steep ramp in my university) and this random Asian guy in a cowboy hat saw me, runs over to me and not only helped me up it, but pushed me all the way to another building where we both needed to go, even though he was late for class. Faith in humanity, restored!

Iverna, Goodwood, mavjade and 2 others like this.
  12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    A random asian guy in a cowboy hat. He sounds interesting.

Iverna likes this.
  13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Still grinding away in Pokemon. I'm working on getting my mid-levels in my team ready for the next gym, as I like to be at least ten levels ahead of the gym leader. Helps if I lack a type advantage and need to brute force my way through.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I just got back from the podiatrist. He said I do have arthritis of my big toe, but that is not what is hurting me. I have a Plantar Plate injury. He said he doesn't know if it is just inflamed or torn and even an MRI usually cannot tell for sure. So he gave me a cortisone shot today and I may get three more. He said if the shots help then it is probably not torn. But if it doesn't help it might be a tear that needs surgery. That sucks.

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    JL, at least you've got some idea what's going on and a possible solution. Here's hoping the cortisone works and that you don't need to go under the knife.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, I hope so too. I got a splint, but I was told to wait until tomorrow before I put it on. It is supposed to keep one of my toes immobilized.

I am glad I have good insurance. This would cost me a fortune otherwise. When I told my son this he agreed saying, "You need the insurance because you don't know how to cook Meth." I said, "What! Young man you need to stop watching Breaking Bad on Netflix." I think he was referring to the recent Saturday Night Live skit we were cracking up about:

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    :D Nice one, JL.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), I never got into those kinds of series such as Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men etc.. Not that I don't like that kind of TV series (you know what I mean: serious, character-driven drama with its own continuity), it's just there was no real interest in the source material. I'm sure if AMC were to come up with a really good original military/war, sci-fi, or fantasy series (heck, if it were up to me I'd get them to do the next Star Trek series!), then there would be a lot more motivation to watch. And it would probably be pretty darn good.

Of course, the kinds of dramas they make tend to be cheaper to produce than, say, anything requiring CGI or studio models, sound stages and elaborate indoor sets, larger casts of extras and guest spots, or all of the above.

Speaking of insurance, I've got my Medicaid back and the premium for Medicare got near enough wiped out.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am not a big fan of Walking Dead and Mad Men never interested me, but I was a fan of Bryan Cranston when he did Malcom in the Middle. His character Hal was so sweet that I didn't think he could pull off being the bad guy. It was such a great transformation. It was gradual, but every evil thing he eventually did made sense in a twisted way (I am positive I heard the actor playing Jesse Pinkman call Walter White by the name Hal in one episode. It was when the RV battery died in the desert).

I like character driven stories. When I used to read Stephen King stories it was always because he got me so interested in the characters. So much so that I could forgive the weird endings that often didn't make sense to me.

Good deal about getting your insurance back.

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I never really got into Mad Men, I watched the first episode and I just didn't like it. Walking Dead got old after the first season IMO. I enjoyed breaking bad, but I have yet to finish it.

I just find it funny that AMC was recently bought by a Chinese billionaire.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So, freaky bit of the day. I was going to a job interview at 10 a.m. when I got an e-mail alert. I looked down and it said, "[My ex's name] wants you to join their network on LinkedIn!" Then I opened Facebook and found a friend request and an IM from him saying that he wants to be friends and is sorry for all the stuff he did 8 years ago. Then I got an e-mail from him through another means going into detail about how yes, he did some horrible things, but "we used to be in love and it was destiny that we met." I liked @DantanaSkywalker's suggestion of blocking him without a response. It seems a little more rational than what I want to do, which is send him 50 IMs that say 'YOU GAVE ME TWO BROKEN BONES AND PTSD. NO WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS!"

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I haven't watched any of those shows, though person after person keep telling me I would like Breaking Bad. I'm watching way too many things at the moment, so for the moment it goes on my very long list of things to watch.

I think just not responding is a good idea Ish. Don't give him the satisfaction of a response.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Don't respond. I had a friend that wanted me to friend him on Facebook. I never had a bad relationship with this friend, but I also knew he spent the last 18 years in prison for attempted murder. I really don't need those type of people in my life. He sent a second request asking why I wouldn't friend him. I think I ignored or blocked him or whatever without a response. Of course now I have a person who spent 18 years in prison for attempted murder irritated at me. [face_dunno]

Just ignore. HE IS FISHING! He probably broke up with his last girlfriend and is trolling his list of old girlfriends to see who takes the bait. I know I don't know this guy, but I have seen this happen with other friends. My advice is to ignore without a response.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I wasn't precisely conscious when we had that conversation this morning, but I definitely still stand by what I said. And I would address the following a little more privately, but I think there are a lot of people who could benefit from what I'm about to say.

We already know your ex manipulative Hutt-slime. And he knows from prior experience (whether it's true or not still) that you fell for it once. Definitely not saying you're dumb, 'cause you had the smarts and the courage to get out of there, which I give you huge props for. I'm just saying that in his head, you're a mark, a target, bait. Acknowledging him in any way gives him power. It might momentarily make you feel better to rage at him, but it also shows him that he can get to you, can still push your buttons. And you don't want to give him anything to use as leverage.

Sometimes it's therapeutic to confront someone who hurt you. Sometimes it's not. This is one of those times where ignoring him and keeping with your forward movement is the best option to take. I kept going back to a loser I was dating, and while he wasn't physically abusive to me, I see now that he was emotionally abusive. It wasn't to anywhere near the same extent as what you went through, but all he had to do was say he was sorry and we'd be back together. I confronted him, years later, and it was therapeutic, but I also was never in any physical danger from him. Still, the crap he pulled with me made it very difficult for me to date for a very long time because I just didn't know how to trust guys anymore, so it was safer to avoid them.

I don't think it would be in anyone's "best interests" save for his to respond. The guy I dated matured, got married, has two children. I'm friends with him on Facebook, but only in a passing way. I'm friends with a bunch of people from high school, just to say hi. But he didn't do the things to me that your ex did, and that your ex had the gall to "want to be friends" after everything he did enrages me. Some people are incapable of change; that he started in on the "fate" bull tells me that he hasn't changed. That's emotional manipulation from the word "go". It's his current version of "I'm sorry, it will never happen again".

Some women repeatedly return to abusers, even if they "get out" once. Some do it after years and find themselves in the very same situation. I have never heard of an abuser reforming to the point where his victim was able to return and live happily and safely at his side.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I had people telling me from the first time I told a friend about it to get out, but it was 5 months after that that I went on "vacation." Your advice is sound and your support is appreciated.

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    It takes time to emotionally disconnect. I mean, this is someone you care for, that you're committed to. Whether it's a spouse or a boyfriend/girlfriend, it's really hard to make that separation. Some people are never able to get to that point. I think that's something that a lot of people who haven't been in that situation don't get (and this can apply to toxic friendships as well). It's really hard, nearly impossible, to say "Okay, that's it, I'm out", and walk away. My dad hit my mom once, and he still says, after nearly 30 years, that it was an accident (long story; it was March and icy, they were arguing, he says he tried to grab her to keep her from slipping on the ice, she thought he'd shoved her into the car and slammed her head against the door). She was able to walk away from after the incident, kick him out and all, but some people can't. I know I tried to convince you for months, but it was a point you had to reach on your own.

I mean, it took me a year to leave the jerk I was dating, once and for all, and that was a just a boyfriend. We were both teenagers, and I don't think either of us realised at the time how emotionally abusive and toxic it was. I still don't know if he totally realises, but I do.

So, to change the subject . . . Why do other countries get awesome promotional stuff and the US gets crap? I mean, Benedict Cumberbatch is on the cover of TIME . . . in the UK. They put out freaking bath towels with Khan on them for "Star Trek Into Darkness" . . . in Japan. What do we get in the US? Itty-bitty blurbs in "Entertainment Weekly", and KRE-O toys that no one in my area even carries, regardless of whether I want them or not.

I want one of those towels, dangit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.