main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    A lot of people on this KC team have experienced tragedy recently. I mean, the whole team had to deal with Jovan Belcher's murder-suicide at the practice facility last year. There was an article somewhere recently about how a lot of the people on this team are realizing just how precious it is to get to play a game for a living and that they should enjoy it while they can. I think there's something to that.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, also I was listening to SportsTalk in KC today at work and they kept playing this clip of Jamaal Charles being humble about his talents:

Jamaal on being an MVP candidate: "I'm just continuing to play football and I'm very blessed to get all the Escalades."

[face_laugh] You know what he meant, but still. Give the man ALL THE ESCALADES!

Jedi-Anakin-Solo likes this.
  3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    SMH at his college education.

4. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Vikings vs. Giants worst game I have seen this year

5. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    From vikingsmeme's (@skolmemes)
    "Vikings might fire everybody tomorrow.
    Coaches, Gm, mascots, valets, vendors, security, cheerleaders, players, fans... Everybody."

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I watched parts only because I had utterly nothing to do at work for a while but man was it awful.

But yeah see I think Jamaal is just being realistic. I think he does deserve all the escalades.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm a sports masochist, so I stuck with this game (save for a stretch in the 3rd quarter when I was filling out job applications, though the game was still on in the background :p ) until the bitter end. Nice to see the Giants finally win one this season, but despite Gruden's insistence that .."anything could happen!", these football Giants aren't making the playoffs. Next week's game is going to be interesting... not for the match up (Seattle/Rams) necessarily (at least Seattle is decent to watch), but because the game is in St. Louis. Why do I find that intriguing? Because game 5 of this year's World Series (featuring the St. Louis Cardinals) is scheduled to be played in St. Louis that night, and since it's very likely that there will be a game 5, you're going to have quite the dynamic (possibly) among those folks in attendance at the Edward Jones Dome. Will they be paying enough attention? How many radios will be tuned in for the Sox/Cards game? Hell, will there even be 40,000+ people in attendance? :p

Obviously it's bad luck/not ESPN's & the NFL's intention to have such a terrible match up, but a flex scheduling option really ought to be put in place for MNF. Yeah it's never been done before, and there are valid arguments against it, but I'd like to see it happen anyway. Of course ESPN/the NFL would never publicly admit it, but SNF on NBC is the more pristine/valuable prime time game... in my humble opinion, anyway.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I like the color of his Puma wear. :p

The shade of that green/gray on the Escalade makes it look like a military vehicle.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well with Bradford out for the year, most people probably tried to scalp their tickets today for the Sox/Cards game. At least that game would likely be more competitive than the football game is likely to be.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Also people in Saint Louis don't care about football. They did for one year, and that was it. Honestly I was hoping a few years back that they wouldn't be able to find a new owner to keep them there and would come back to LA. Seems like it would be a good fit since there are probably still some straggler fans around.

Of course, then I'd just hate LA's team because I hate the Rams. MO rivalry and all that. From that perspective, I'd much rather LA get a team like the Jags who are so innocuous there's nothing to love or hate about them. Then I could at least nothing my local team :p

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm only going to tune in for that game during the commercials for Red Sox/Cardinals (assuming there is one), and if I don't hear at least one Cardinals chant, I'm going to be disappointed. As it relates to sports, St. Louis is a baseball town through & through, where as Kansas City is much more the football town (despite the Royals having periods of success). Naturally, the one (thus far) time the two cities were pitted against each other in a championship series was in the '85 World Series, which, despite the Royals winning it, might have meant more culturally in St. Louis than it did in the K.C. area. Maybe. :p

And yes, there are plenty of straggler Rams fans around here in La La Land. Anecdotally, I knew two of them: An ex-co worker of mine who had season tickets, even when the team moved south to Anaheim, and the father of one of my dear friends. The Rams triumph in Super Bowl XXXIV was so, so bittersweet for him (and others obviously).

13. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
  14. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Minnesota should have put in Joe Webb. Freeman was making Tebow look good. Those passes were so far off it was pittiful and he is a better quarerback than that.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    At this point, I just want an asteroid to hit the Vikings locker room, so we can reboot the whole goddamned team. I am bitter because I wish our state excelled at something. Anything.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    When it comes to the Chiefs playing against the Broncos, I'm trying not to be too optimistic. I feel like the safe prediction is that each team will win their home game.

18. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    as much as i like Joe Webb i thought we should have put Cassel in. I'm fairly sure he could have won for us. It's too late now since our remaining schedule is a nightmare, every single team we face has a winning record.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe we should just beg Favre to come out of retirement even though he's not that great either.

20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Freeman could still work out for them. He got thrown to the wolves last night. When your head is swimming with a new offense and new terminology you aren't going to play well. He hasn't worked with these receivers, he doesn't know their body language yet or how they run routes. You can't judge him yet.

21. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    Hey if Favre won't come back why don't we get Fran Tarkenton? I'm sure he'd do better then the quarterbacks we have now. Hell fire the whole team and find the members of the 70's vikings team, they probably could have beaten the giants.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    How come no one is talking about how the Chiefs have beaten one team with a winning record and that game was won by a point?
    Texans 2-5
    Dallas 4-3
    Eagles 3-4
    Giants 1-6
    Titans 3-4
    Raiders 2-4
    Jags 0-7

23. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I guess because a 7-0 start is pretty impressive for a team that went 2-14 the year before. Besides, the players can't help who it is they have to play.

solojones, Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    jacktherack Freeman can definitely still work for you, he's just got to learn to work with your system, and with your receiving core. I feel like the proliferation of really good rookie and 2nd year QBs is gonna make certain OCs a little impatient with QBs, but that needs to be got over. Not everyone is gonna be a highly mobile read-option kind of person, some of them are still going to be traditional QBs. OCs need to recognize that, and work to develop them in the more traditional manner. I would hate to see the next potential Peyton getting passed over cuz everyone's trying to find the next potential Wilson, Griffin, or Kaepernick.