main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you Consider Anakin Being placed inside the Darth Vader Suit an Iconic Star Wars Moment?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 19, 2013.

1. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    100% Classic

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think it is powerful when Anakin is put in the suit, and I also like the juxtaposition with Padme giving birth. The best part is when the mask is lowered onto his face, there's a little piercing sound that resembles a dentist's drill, and then after a pause, Vader breathes his first breath, which sends the mist above him swirling. The "No-o-o-o-o!" comes a little a later, and I do think it's the weakest part, but I certainly don't think it ruins the overall scene.

The other thing is I don't know how else GL could've ended it. Vader's first question has to be about Padme. Protecting her has been his sole purpose throughout the film. And it has to end in a huge release of anger when he realizes that Padme has died because of his own actions. Maybe GL could've had Vader make some primal sounds of anger as he tears apart the medical lab using the Force, but I'm not sure that would've gone over any better than the big "No-o-o-o!"

GL had to end it with something big there, and I don't think he had that many options.

(I also think the blu-ray "No-o-o-o!" is a little shorter than the film's original, or maybe it just seems that way.)

skygawker, Darth Raiden and FRAGWAGON like this.
  3. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    The scene gave me chills. A soft version of Imperial March followed by the first breath was the best part. Honestly, I would've cut the scene there instead of him throwing the temper tantrum and the NOOOOO afterwards.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    To be honest, I share Camille Paglia's ecstatic assessment of the last forty-five minutes of ROTS.

She's kinda getting (lightly) laughed at and jeered for her passionate re-telling of how it all goes down, but I'm with her all the way.

Here it is -- with a transcript of the main part of her speech/performance below:

How tepid contemporary art seems compared to the passionate quality of this finale with this huge musical score that was recorded at the Abbey Road studio in London. I say it's like a Black Mass and you're getting this tremendous duel that's like dance theatre: the longest duel ever filmed is this duel and there was no computer speeding-up. These two actors -- Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor -- did (hands waving) that for months. They learned this swordplay and it's absolutely phenomenal. It is dance. This is contemporary dance. So you get this music and the passionate emotion. The love-hate between these two men. The whole thing's like a Pucinni opera. You have this huge -- it's like romantic nature painting, the apocalyptic landscape of the lava.

And you get this theme.

Lucas crosscuts the destruction of the Senate chamber going on on the planet of Coruscant. So you get this theme of the destruction of politics going on at the same moment. And you have the destruction of industry going on. Because as these two guys are wrestling around they throw off the whole control panels and the whole industrial complex of the planet Mustafar starts degenerating going "woooo" and you get these girders -- "wer-cheee" -- in the lava like this.

And then, the revelation, after thirty years.

How did Darth Vader get born? Who is Darth Vader? How did he end up to be robot man? How did that happen? There it is. We see the handsome Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. He loses his arms and his legs and he catches on fire from the volcano. He incinerates. All these horrors and so on. And then finally his broken body is taken with surgical droids putting him together. It's like a "Frankenstein's Monster" thing. Cross-cutting to Natalie Portman dying in childbirth. Luke and Leia whom we met, we met! "Luke", "Leia". They're born. And then, after all these horrors...

Incredible control. Unbelievable control of tone.

Luke and Leia are separated because no-one knows they exist. And they're taken to distant planets. And one is a beautiful planet based on Switzerland -- it is footage of Switzerland -- with mountains and valleys. And the other one is a desert planet: Tatooine with its double suns. And so you get this amazing thing. Strong man arriving with baby. Baby handed off to other strong man. Strong man sitting with wife against great landscape. It is so beautiful. And Lucas himself, after his divorce, retired for two years to raise his adopted children. So it's like an incredible personal reference there. First of all, I think that that is extremely progressive, to end with this idea of the tenderness of men toward babies: not just children, but toward babies. And it ends with -- absolutely gorgeous. And I say, "My God!" Nothing has been produced -- I'm serious. Nothing, in the last thirty years, in any of the arts, has been produced, as emotionally compelling and significant as the finale of Revenge Of The Sith.

Samnz, QuangoFett, Alexrd and 7 others like this.
  5. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Oh man, I randomly stumbled upon this lady and her analysis a couple of months ago. Then I look into what other people thought about what she stated. She was mostly ridiculed and I can completely understand why.

BUT, while many people think her last statement (from the post above mine) is ludicrous, I, on the other hand, feel very similarly. Of course I haven't seen all works of art from the last 30 years, but from what I've seen so far, her statement pretty much describes my feelings about the finale of RotS.

EDIT: This is my first post in this thread, so I should answer its question. Yes, I do consider Anakin being put into Vader's suit an iconic moment.

Andy Wylde and Cryogenic like this.
  6. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    For my money, it's the second most iconic moment in the saga, the first being Vader throwing Palpatine down the shaft.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  7. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I couldn't of said it better myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Anakin being put into the suit is definitely memorable, to say the very least. I mean there are some instances prone to controversy such as the "Noooo!" scream, and some people even going so far as to say that Hayden didn't belong in the iconic suit of armor because he was too whiny whilst Vader was not. Personally, an aspect that I didn't particularly care for was that Hayden as Vader was too small in comparison to Shaw. This makes no sense, in my opinion, as Vader couldn't get bigger with time due to the fact that he was mostly made up of cyborg parts and all that. In light of that I somewhat think that an actor who resembled Shaw more closely should have been cast. Anyway, one could poke and prod at strengths/faults all day, but the bottom line is who can forget Hayden's being placed into the suit, shouting "no!", and walking for the first time whilst in the armor? It was unforgettable.

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Yeah, I do. It's pretty much the very moment the entire PT had been leading up to.

10. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    One of the best scenes in the whole saga but spoilt by that "noooooo" scream.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  11. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

Dismisses himself in disgust? What gives you that impression?

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It was slightly chilling the first time. it feels contrived and forced. Not iconic for me.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It's ok, but for me there's just something amiss somehow. It almost feels like a Star Wars parody.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I haven't participated in this thread until now because I really wasn't sure about the "moment" itself and because it's a rather long sequence that's intercut with the twins's birth and Padmé's death. I defnitely think it's wonderfully done, some of the things I enjoyed particulary:

- the "layered" bird's angel shot of Vader's operation and six main light sources:
    [​IMG]

- the glimpse behind the mask
    - Vader's first breath
    - the Frankenstein-reference and the cut-in to a close-up of Vader's "face", simultaneously to the sound effect of Vader detaching his dead from his "operating table":
    [​IMG]

- the general color design of only black and white with a little hints of Sith-redness
    - Palpatine's diabolic grin
    - the very bright, almost hurtfully reflecting light on Vader; also the dust:
    [​IMG]

Overall, I've always liked Vader's rebirth but I wasn't sure whether I'd call it iconic or not until I recently saw a little teaser on TV for the six films that solely used parts of Vader's rebirth for that matter and this made me realize: Of course, Vader's rebirth is iconic. It's Vader, after all, and everybody who's slightly familiar with Star Wars (and don't need to have seen the films) would instantly recognize that this is the moment when Vader was finally created. This wouldn't be the case if you showed them a random interior scene from Jabba's palace or Naboo's throne room or even many of the main characters. Vader's birth however, is - by assembling his memorable look alone - iconic. Imo.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Vader being remade was iconic to me.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Was for me.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    I'd say 10 years later, it's become pretty iconic now, the final moments of Anakin, and the birth of Vader. Really, ROTS from the beginning of Anakin vs Obi-Wan to the end is pretty iconic.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Unfortunately I am always distracted by the fact that his cybernetic legs are far too long because Hayden's too small (smaller than Dave Prowse) and later when he's standing next to Palpatine he is also clearly too small. To be honest, the symmetrical mask doesn't really do it for me as well.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  19. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I do think it's an iconic moment. It is, however, diminished by the "NOOOOOOOO." I wish they would fix that.

Still an iconic moment.

Darth Ardyti and Sarge like this.
  20. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I would say yes - the entire prequel trilogy had really been Anakin's journey to that moment: the final step in his transformation into Vader.

21. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Ever since that midnight showing of ROTS in 2005 that I attended, the Vader "birth" scene has been one of the most emotionally powerful and moving scenes I have seen in a film. Perhaps that's partly due to the impact of seeing how it all went down after all those years of following the PT and being a fan of the OT before then. It really felt like the entire PT led up to that one moment in which we finally see Vader in the suit we all know and love. But also, the way the scene is filmed to highlight that cold and dark chamber with the fog in the air and the two Dark Lords of the Sith sharing a moment, and John Williams's hauntingly perfect music... it truly is an iconic scene.

whostheBossk and Andy Wylde like this.
  22. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    For me it's a iconic moment but also a very sad one as we knew things would never be the same from that point on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Sure those 3 films are filled with iconic moments. Yoda actually fights, the Pod race, Anakin vs Obi Wan, seeing the clones, Dooku, Naboo, its a long list of Star Wars icons.

24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I guess it depends if we're talking about iconic in terms of the event itself or iconic in terms of execution. Yoda fighting and the birth of Vader are certainly both very significant events in film history.