main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Palpatine's second lightsaber

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I feel pretty cloudy myself after the last exchange.... :D

2. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    He only had one at a time, I believe. Firstly in both fights it comes out of his right arm, which means that that's clearly his dominate hand so I doubt he'd have one up the left sleeve and also he wouldn't have two up the same arm. Why would he risk losing two lightsabers in one battle, especially when you consider how awesome his force powers were.

3. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Agreed. That argument makes sense.

I don't think that quite follows... Just because his right is dominant, doesn't mean he's a clutz with his left. He could be less adept with it, but still very skilled...

My opinion is that he's one of the most powerful Sith that has every lived... I think his overconfidence is his weakness... not carrying the second saber because of fear of losing it is not a consideration... however I do agree his force powers are substantial..

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lawless TCW episode may hint at that.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I don't think that quite follows... Just because his right is dominant, doesn't mean he's a clutz with his left. He could be less adept with it, but still very skilled...

My opinion is that he's one of the most powerful Sith that has every lived... I think his overconfidence is his weakness... not carrying the second saber because of fear of losing it is not a consideration... however I do agree his force powers are substantial..[/quote]

2nd Is very true.

3rd That's what I mean, He considers himself a badass so why bother with two, surely one would be enough especially with his force powers.

Also the "Two" Lightsabers actually makes perfect sense, We normally believe that Jedi and Sith have just one lightsaber which is pretty much the case in all films and when they brake them they just make another one. Both don't forget he did kill Plaguis towards the end of TPM so he might have kept that one as well as his own one.

6. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Good point - I kinda diffused my own argument there, didn't I? LOL...

7. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I think there's good arguments for both situations. If I was Palpatine I probably would have had both Lightsabers on me purely because you don't know whats going to happen and having a spare is always handy. But because he was very powerful he may have thought even if I lose my Lightsaber my force powers will be enough to win the fight, so he may have thought having one was enough.

But if he would have had both on him and used both, (If he?) Did lose both then he wouldn't have any Lightsabers left, whereas keeping one hidden he would have had one after the fight to use in case any other fights came up.

So I'm now beginning to think as he was so powerful, for the fight with Mace he probably just had one on him because if he lost one in the fight he would then use his force powers to win the fight and then he would still have a spare one to use for future fights.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    After sending Anakin to the Temple and before he declared the Republic is now the Empire.

It's only referenced in the novelization. No scene was ever filmed with it. It was an invention of author Matthew Stover, who had no idea about what would happen with the cartoon series.

Palpatine's tactic switching was conning Anakin into thinking that he wasn't as strong he let on, thus forcing his hand. Once this happens, Palpatine lets loose and kills Mace. So he was powerful enough to fight and kill Mace without a Lightsaber. Mace and Yoda can hold their own against him, but aren't powerful enough to beat him. That's why it was important for Anakin to be who he was meant to be, but then he blew it.

Vialco likes this.
  9. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Palpatine doesn't need to reveal his second lightsaber to appear as if he's been beaten. So the fact that he is feigning losing the battle to Windu doesn't imply that he is not armed with the second lightsaber.

I'm not sure I understand your comment here...

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Mace did get him good with that kick, so it appears as if Palpatine wasn't throwing the fight there. It is only when he senses Anakin's approach, that he pretends to lose his power. Hence backing himself into a corner and acting as if the Jedi were plotting to overthrow him.

Only the Chosen One could beat Palpatine in both Lightsaber combat and through usage of the Force. If Anakin didn't have his attachment issues, then he could have took on Palpatine in battle and beat him down. His connection to the Force was equal to, or even greater than Palpatine's. But because he chose not to do the right thing, because he chose to act selfishly, he made things worse for everyone and helped enslave the galaxy for the next twenty years.

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I like to think, Sidious rarely carried one on Coruscant... if ever. The Chancellor removed the second saber right after he told Mas to ready his Shuttle; before leaving to face-off against the Grim-Twins, because he was smart enough to know he'd need them both if he was going to kill the goon and capture his former Apprentice.

Upon his return, Palpatine hid the saber again and pretended that his "Bring-Maul-to-heel" trip never happened.

12. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Don't switch sides on me now... that's my patented trick!! :p You can't on the one hand say that Palpatine was so powerful that he orchestrated the entire combat sequence and then propose that he takes a roundhouse on accident that happens to give the illusion that he's ready to fall in battle in order to provide his apprentice with the prime opportunity to fall to the Dark Side.

How are we to know that this was NOT the will of the Force? How are we to know that perhaps this temporary (unbeknownst to the citizens of the Republic) turn to a dictatorship was not exactly what was needed to sweep away the corruption of the Old Republic? Did Anakin "blow it" or did he "fulfill his destiny" as Palpatine suggests?

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He didn't plan on being slammed over his desk by Yoda, much less have his lightning cause a feedback that sends him and Yoda off the Chancellor's podium. He's good, but not that good.

Anakin blew it. Palpatine only says that it is his destiny, because he's trying to turn him into a Sith and fight thirteen years of Jedi training. He tells Anakin that by freeing himself of the shackles of the Jedi Order, is he able to start to see the truth and thus he can grow more and more powerful. The Republic and the Jedi did have problems, but not something that was so bad that it needed to be destroyed. As Yoda tells Luke in TESB, he will know the difference between good and evil when he is calm and at peace within his mind. Anakin couldn't do that because he was filled with emotional turmoil that he chose to ignore the rational side of him that said this was wrong and instead, embrace his fear and his anger. It is only when he is with Luke at the end, does his mind finally reach the point where he is able to make the correct distinction.

14. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I agree. I think that most of the time he didn't arm himself with one, the only time he did was when he knew he was going to need it (Against Mace and Yoda). But he lost his first one in the duel against mace so he must of needed to take the second one out for his battle with Yoda. Then (I may have got this wrong) he lost his lightsaber against Yoda so he would have had no lightsabers when taking his shuttle to Mustafar, which means if Obi-Wan was on Mustafar when Palpatine arrived that could have been an interesting situation.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Light saber up a sleeve, or not.... if Master Windu could barely withstand the full onslaught of Darth Sidious' lightning and Yoda couldn't hang onto his hilt, then I'd say it was for the best that Obi Wan was long gone by the time he arrived.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He wouldn't need it in general, because as the Chancellor, he isn't about needing weapons. He has to play the role of the politician and let the guards handle his affairs. When he was training Maul, he had his own Lightsaber for that part. One that he would use whenever the time came. As to the second saber, a scene was cut where Yoda knocks Palpatine's saber out of his grip, which causes Palpatine to blast Yoda the first time to send him down into the lower levels of the Senate Rotunda. He would have retrieved it before going to the shuttle.

17. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I don't know, you see a lot of people don't give Obi-Wan the credit he deserves. Although I think Sinister is right Palps probably retrieved it before he left, but I think Obi-Wan could have put up a good fight of course he would eventually be overpowered and would lose.

That was the one thing I loved about ROTJ Palpatine didn't even need a lightsaber because (Like Yoda realized) that was never the true battle. The Jedi won there battles with their Lightsabers, the Sith won there's with the force. Think of all the fight scenes and how they ended.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, not even Obi-wan was good. Lucas was adamant in 81 that Yoda was barely a match for him and that Obi-wan wasn't. That's why in the drafts of ROTJ, it is only Vader who takes Palpatine out. Luke wasn't intended to and when Obi-wan and Yoda were in the earliest of drafts, they both got swept aside by Palpatine. Yoda tried blocking the attack, but faltered after a moment. The only change between then and now, was the inclusion of Mace Windu into the matter. As to Obi-wan, he could beat Anakin because Yoda knew that there was still the distinct possibility based on their knowledge of each other. But against the man himself, no, he would fall like Kit Fisto did.

19. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    There's no doubt he would have failed even I realize that, I was just saying that I thought he could have put up a bit of a fight for a while. I wasn't aware of what Lucas said I was going by the films. To be honest it kind of annoys me when things like that are said, I mean I get that Anakin is the chosen one and all, but saying that even the most powerful Jedi where no match for him at all, it just makes them look mediocre and useless.

20. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    It's clear that Anakin has the potential to defeat Palpatine before his failure on Mustafar... however after the reconstruction did he not lose a decent majority of his ability due to the mechanization of his body? In that state is Vader still able to overpower Palps?

21. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yes.

22. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Okay - point taken...

But that's not the epic saber battles like we had in ROTS... let's face it, Vader picks up an unsuspecting Palpatine and tosses him in a hole... not exactly a level playing field... so I ask again, could Vader have fought and defeated Palpatine in the same type of encounter we see with Yoda v. Palps, Anakin v. Kenobi, Yoda v. Dooku...?

23. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I personally believe he could.

24. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I think he would not be able to, they where both very old of the time they'd both lost a lot of speed and agility but I still think Sidious was a lot stronger in the force. The only way he could have killed him is the way we saw, by betrayal, which of course is always the way of the Sith.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Before we turn this into a Saga discussion, no.
    :p