main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Deadpool, the (Golden Globe-nominated) Movies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, May 6, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It seems like the script is in a pretty good place, going by the rave reviews the leaked copy got a couple years ago. They're just held up on the production side of things in terms of budget versus the creative freedom to maintain a hard R rating.

2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Could they even do that without Sony's lawyers jumping all over them like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat?

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Since this is Fox and not Marvel, I doubt they could.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sony made references to Doctor Strange, and X-Men had that Spider-Man gag- and here it'd be used as a joke, so it would probably fall under parody at worst.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The leaked 2010 Deadpool script is pretty solid for a modern action comedy movie with some pathos and a lot of Amy Winehouse jokes that are so going to have to be rewritten.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That won't stop Deadpool. Two words: Bea Arthur.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    That's not the reason they have to be rewritten. :p

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm only guessing, but I could totally see them keeping just about anything and just covering it up by breaking the fourth wall/using the head voices.

Deadpool: (insert Amy joke)
    White Voice: Dude!
    Yellow Voice: NOT cool!
    Deadpool: What?
    Yellow Voice: Didn't you hear what happened?
    Deadpool: No!
    White Voice: Yes, you did!
    Deadpool: I didn't !
    Yellow Voice: You knew because we knew!
    Deadpool: Oh, hey, yeah, you're right! NOT cool!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Well,

a literal "dead pool" about Amy Winehouse's death is one of the movie's best running jokes. They'll have to change it to Lindsay Lohan or something. :p

10. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    1. Spider-Man 2 was released in 2004, long before anyone took the idea of a singular Marvel cinematic universe seriously. None of the studios really cared about Dr. Strange anymore....he wasn't an A-Lister.

2. The Spider-Man X-Men gag does not count, since it was a stagehand running around in a cheap Party City-quality Spidey costume to make everyone laugh, and was only available in the gag reel for the DVD release.

What you described sounds more like an actual cameo. Which is not completely unheard of (the Millennium Falcon parked outside a diner at the end of Spaceballs), but the question is would Sony be so willing to allow Fox to use Spidey's mask like that? And if so, would Fox be willing to shell out license fees for a few seconds of screen time?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wouldn't be the actual character though- it'd be like any movie filming in a halloween costume store that just happened to have a Spider-Man mask on the shelf (or being worn by a 5 year old).

You don't think Marvel could put a Spider-Man statue or action figure in an Avengers film as a visual gag? So long as it wasn't implying the character actually existed as a living character within the Avengerverse? Especially considering how they almost did an ASM/Avengers crossover with Osborn Tower, I don't see this being a problem.

And I don't think SM2's release date is of any consequence- the rights to characters are the rights to characters. Marvel was still actively reclaiming and/or selling character rights here and there. They knew there wasn't going to be an X-Men/Spidey crossover. They also knew they didn't have the rights to Doctor Strange.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like some minor progress is being made:

"[In] its current iteration the movie’s actually very small. There's minimal impact to the studio, which is the way we're kind of presenting it to them. We're saying 'Look, the budget is minimal. Therefore, can we do this the way it should be done?’ Which unfortunately needs a Rated R or it needs those elements.

The script is probably available online, it leaked. But it’s very meta, I mean the character knows he's in a movie, he knows he's in a comic book. He names studio executives in the script. So, it’s kind of a risky property. But, you know, we'll see. It's actually, within the last couple of weeks, taken a few very, very small tiptoes forward.

I think if I were a betting man it’ll get made, eventually. I mean it’s just been developed to high heaven. It has great people around it, so we'll see."

13. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    I can't be the only one who thought Ryan Reynolds was a horrible Deadpool, and overall a bad actor....

I didn't see the Wolverine Origins until I heard Deadpool was in it, then I saw it was him. :rolleyes:

14. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    They need to just get Nolan North.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They need to just put this project out of its misery.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Wait would this be in the reboot or original X-Men movie universe now?

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Deadpool gets lumped in with the X-Men over at Fox since he first debuted in an issue of New Mutants.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Judging by DOFP, those seem to be in some way the same universe, but could be different timelines ( kind of like the Star Trek situation ).

I don't know much about this project but I would assume it conflicts with X-Men Origins: Wolverine at least.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With Deadpool's meta abilities, the movie is at least aware of the events of X-Men Origins existing as a movie. The leaked script had Deadpool throwing the parts of the XMOW Deadpool (the arm blades, etc) into a trash can and making repeated jokes about Hugh Jackman's career.

So, it could be part of the X universe (with only Deadpool being aware of the Wolverine movie via his 4th wall breaking insanity) or an alt spin-off.

20. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Would be something if they were to grease the right palms enough to make Deadpool meta to the point where he also references the Marvel Studios and Sony movies.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think he could- Spider-Man 2 had the Doctor Strange joke. Not much difference here. Though I think they'd avoid a direct mention of the Avengers to avoid confusing audiences into thinking the universes are linked. But a general studios reference should be fair game.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Comments on the small progress:

Screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick ("Zombieland," "G.I. Joe Retaliation") have turned in a new and well-regarded draft of the script, those involved are ready to make it - it's now all up to 20th Century Fox to give the film the go ahead. [Tim] Miller tells Clevver Movies that the project is closer to happening than it was just two months ago:

"We will never give up!. Deadpool is still alive and we’re just waiting for the studio to embrace what an amazingly ****ing awesome film this would be. Ryan is ready, I am ready, the fans are more than ready, we just need that elusive green light."

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Figure this should get added here to our annual progress report on this movie ;).

Link to leaked test footage (it's vimeo, not youtube).

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    That's straight from the old leaked script. Yay.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's awesome that the supposedly-very-good leaked script got as far as test footage at least.