main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I had to, you brought us a gift. :p

[​IMG]

2. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    SWTOR and a Mandalorian fan? You seem pretty cool already! ;)

3. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks Hello_Fett :)

I am spending my day catching up with all the Mandalorian/Death Watch episodes of TCW. I forgot about this mural in the background of Pre Vizsla's dinner scene:[​IMG]

So any ideas on reading material?

4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Not much that hasn't already been said. I haven't read any of the comics though I probably should. I did read through LotF for just the Mando bits as you are thinking about doing and enjoyed that.

[​IMG]

Dark-Fox likes this.
  5. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    How did you find your grasp of the overall story was affected Bardan? My worry with doing that is I wouldn't be able to understand the ongoing storyline. I guess Wookieepedia would be a handy reference, though.

6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I skimmed the non-Mando series so I got the basic gist of what was going on. But to be honest those parts bored me. :p

[​IMG]

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If you take out all the Boba/Mando stuff from LOTF you basically have a single book with a consistent story that occasionally interacts with the plot of LOTF. The separation of the Mando plot from the main plot got more and more egregious with each LOTF book Traviss penned.

That said, it's a pretty good story, especially if you liked RC, and extra especially if you like Boba in particular.

As for other suggestions, I'd definitely say give Open Seasons a read, as well as the Blood Ties comics.
    Nah, this is a pretty chill club. Any and all Mando discussion is encouraged, and questions are always welcome. ;)

But yeah, the amount of Mando material is pretty thin. If you're looking for good books with bounty hunters and smugglers I'd suggest checking out the Han Solo Trilogy by the late A.C. Crispin, as well as Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn. Both mostly focus on Han Solo, and feature Lando and Boba.

Another decent series is the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. It's a bit tedious, but it centers on Boba (noticing a trend yet? :p ) and several other bounty hunters.

Otherwise, welcome to the club. [face_peace]

Ordo N-11 and Dark-Fox like this.
  8. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thank you for your welcome Todd the Jedi :) You've piqued my interest with your mention of Scoundrels, that one's fairly new isn't it?

From what you and Bardan have said it seems I have nothing to worry about picking up on the overall story of the Legacy series. If I remember right, it was Traviss' departure of the main plot you mention in favour of more Mando stuff that caused a bit of a stir amongst her detractors. Not that I care about such things, I'll take as much varied SW content as I can get - not everything needs to be about the struggle between dark and light. Or maybe I'm just at that age now where all I see are shades of grey. Ahh Jolee Bindo, I have never understood you better than I do now :D

As for the comic books, unless I get a Kindle Fire or other mobile device that will support them I just can't envision myself reading them. I simply don't know how. That said, I plan on taking a trip to Forbidden Planet as I haven't been to one in years and if I see any Mando themed comics I might give 'em a go.

The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy sounds good, but isn't that an older series? My only issue with older EU material is that they may contain annoying inconsistencies or out of date lore (you know, the ever present fear that something may not survive the ever-changing nature of the saga) :D

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Some of the best SW stories are the older ones. The Han Solo Adventures by Brian Daley are super fun, and were written before TESB was even out. The Thrawn trilogy kickstarted the EU in the early 90s, and despite some inconsistencies regarding the Clone Wars is a highly enjoyably series. It's easy to get around the old lore and just enjoy those stories for what they are. I mean hey, half the stuff from the OT is out of date thanks to Lucas being inconsistent with himself when he made the prequels. :p

As for BHW specifically, it's actually still pretty consistent. It doesn't really touch on Boba's backstory, so no issues with AOTC. Some of the info about Boba and Bossk is slightly clunky in light of their appearances in The Clone Wars, but nothing too egregious.

As for Scoundrels yeah, it just came out in January, with the paperback already due in November, I believe. It's Ocean's 11 meets SW, and though I've yet to read it, it got a lot of praise.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Forbidden Planet, huh, so you are in the future Granbretan.

When it comes to inconsistencies or out of date lore ask yourself: have the inconsistencies of Red Dwarf or Doctor Who really damaged your enjoyment of the shows?

11. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Good point Todd, I did really enjoy the Han Solo Adventures.

I confess I'm not a Doctor Who fan. Love Red Dwarf though!

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Welcome!

I'd read the LOTF Mandalorian stuff if you have yet to do so. Pretty easy to just read the three books as there is no Mandalorian stuff of note in the others.

Dark-Fox and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's right Rob. That stuff with the nano-virus doesn't count. ;)

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  14. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Really in terms of wrapping up RC it doesn't.

But yeah, if we want to get accurate Invincible has Mandalorians in it - most of FOTJ has Mandalorians in it, and Crucible has Mandalorians in it - not to mention The Last Jedi.

I would just qualify it all that stuff as nothing important :p

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Actually, I'd say the stuff in The Last Jedi is kinda important, since it shows an actual instance of Karen/Marvel's Mando-verse coexisting with Filoni/GL's Mando-verse. And it makes sense to boot, meshing well with Jason Fry's stuff in the Essential Atlas and in the Guide to Warfare.

Ordo N-11 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  16. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    There is just nothing to it though, past what you mention. It is nice to see it sure, but it is basically stuff we already knew due to the Essential Guides. It kinda amounts to some name dropping more than anything substantial. It struck me more as setting up Reaves own Black Sun Mandalorians from Shadow Games kinda wrapped around some vague detailing on what Mandalore now is.

17. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thank you for the welcome Robimus :)

Do you guys have any thoughts on what you'd like to see explored in regards to the Mandalorian Excision? I mean, if you heard there was a novel on the horizon exploring that era, how would you like to see the conflict handled?

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm gonna leave this here...

And say that I always hated Vizsla for being almost the exact opposite of anything a Traviss Mando should be, but I was rooting for him for the entire fight. And that guy who just looked down at him with a sneer when he crawls by...yeah, he needs to die. :p

19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Kinda funny, it is Vizsla's great moment - his death that is - that he takes it with honor instead of acting like a coward(like Maul does when he gets beat down by his master).

That one scene made me like Vizsla on some level in a way nothing else in the series did.

Ordo N-11, Bardan_Jusik and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I don't really like that fight scene. Revan didn't become Mandalore after killing The Ultimate, why should Maul? And the fact that the fight is edited horribly so none of the actual hits are shown throws me off. Protip, a scene can last longer than a millisecond.

21. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Consider the circumstances. The only people who recognize Maul as Mand'alor are the Death Watch. No one else even knows he exists. And Death Watch...they're radicals. In their quest to "fix" Mandalore, it's not hard to imagine that they'd lose sight of the basic principles they're supposed to be fighting for if it ultimately led them to their larger but more nebulous goal. Bo-Katan remembers, though—the title of Mand'alor is for a Mandalorian alone to hold—and it's their refusal to break with the culture's tradition that spawns the conflict between Maul's forces and her own.

Contessa, Ordo N-11 and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what counts as a mandalorian?

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    One who respects the laws and customs of the culture, and practices them. Maul does none of this. He goes from an attack dog being used by Viszla to a prisoner when his usefulness runs out. The Death Watch knew they were using him to their own ends, and took proper action when they had no more need for his prowess. But as soon as he breaks out of prison, he challenges Pre to a duel and wins, and suddenly the Death Watch forget all about how they manipulated Maul, and end up being manipulated by him instead.

It just makes the Death Watch look stupid. Sure, they might be sometimes, but they wouldn't have posed major threats to the Kalevalans and the other clans without their cunning and treachery.

24. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Mandalorians follow the Resol'nare. Maul does not, and doesn't even pretend to. He has no legitimate claim to being a member of the culture, much less its leader.

Contessa, Revanfan1 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  25. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Maul wanted to rule, and rule he did. But he ruled as a Sith Lord commanding soldiers to do his selfish work. No respectable Mandalore would have worked so hard for revenge on a single person and sacrificing the lives of his soldiers so recklessly while at it, all the while having the goal in mind to start a criminal underworld -- something traditionally un-Mandalorian that even Pre Vizsla found despicable. In addition to not following the basic principles of the culture, Maul is the farthest from a Mandalorian any Mandalorian leader has been so far. However, he does sort of get the support of the previously New Mandalorian population of Sundari and the majority of the Death Watch, so his claim to a title equivalent to a Mand'alor isn't so illegitimate from one perspective.

After all, Boba Fett didn't even follow all tenets of the Resol'nare. He didn't speak the language, he abandoned his family, didn't contribute to his clan and didn't rally to Fenn Shysa as Mandalore. The only tenet he did follow was wearing the armour. But he was recognised as Mand'alor by the majority, possibly due to his connection to Jango Fett, Fenn Shysa and indirectly Jaster Mereel. Which I personally find to be un-Mandalorian.

Following the Resol'nare to the teeth gives you citizenship in the Mandalorian culture, and to be it's leader you'd better follow it even more than most.

Ordo N-11 and Revanfan1 like this.