main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Pour one for Mike. :_|

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe this will make you feel better.

[​IMG]

:p

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The thing is, Michael Arndt's involvement was the thing I was most hopeful about for Ep. VII. A bonafide Oscar winning writer on Star Wars. He would take George's ideas and apply his character developing brilliance, and heartwarming sentimentality, and we would get one hell of a script. He and JJ would provide the one-two punch that would knock us all out. And now, it's no more. So much promise lost. =((

I'm getting sappy. Time for bed.

4. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    It was never confirmed that his involvement has vanished. I think his treatments were used.

5. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    My excitement went down a notch or two. Likely, Abrams is going to scratch Arndt's work and go with his own. If you read between the lines it seems like the two just couldn't get together on a vision for the movie.

6. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    It really is a sad day. :(

7. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
  8. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I had high hopes for Michael. Whatever he put on table, I hope they can use it for the later films.

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    One more for our fallen homey, Michael Arndt:

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was happy with Michael Arndt, but I must say I'm one of those who is actually happy that we now have Abrams and Kasdan on the job.

Kasdan especially, considering his history with GL/Lucasfilm, and seeing as how he is so much more connected to the history of the saga, with the production of ESB and ROTJ. A veteran of sorts, returning to writing duties once again!

11. kane1138

kane1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2013
    If Abrams brings his mate Lindelof on board I'm officially outta here :mad:

Immortiss, jedilips and DARTHLARS like this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I have said from day one that, IMHO, the only chance Ep VII stands of being a truly 'good' film is if JJ remains hands off as possible i.e directing duties. This confirms my worst fears... that he's got more input/control into it and we're basically going to get a Star Trekification of Star Wars. The impact is not only to Ep VII but to VIII and IX as well. I'd personally rather have ROTJ or TPM than JJ's Star Trek... so I'm a tad disappointed to be honest.

Immortiss and MaulBot9000 like this.
  13. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Arndt shouldn't have let his ego get in the way of working with Kasdan and Abrams.

14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Eh, I had no problem with Abrams directing it. I'm very weary of him writing anything in these films. But, as I have said: These movies are too big to fail. I think the worst possible scenario is probably something relatively safe, fun, entertaining movie. It may not be elevated but I doubt its going to be an absolute disaster. If the film gets to that point, Disney will dump Abrams...

Diggs likes this.
  15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Eh, I think if there is an ego at play its most likely Abrams.

Immortiss likes this.
  16. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Opinions...
    Mine: ST09 was more of a true Star Wars movie than the whole PT, it had that feeling of adventure and friendship that made the OT such a classic. Was it true to the vision of Star Trek? No, absolutely not. But since I was always a SW fan and never a trekkie, I couldn't care less...

I like to compare this situation to Guilliermo del Toro leaving The Hobbit. His touch is still noticeable in some scenes, but (like it or not) it is more of a PJ movie now and that fitts better with the rest of the franchise.

Diggs likes this.
  17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Arndt probably got burnt out, was on the ropes, and tag-teamed Larry Kasdan.

Forget the movie, I cannot wait to see the documentary that tells the story of how this all played out.

18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    No kidding! And never mind that: I imagine we're all going to be poring over the early chapters of the Making of Episode VII coffee-table book when that comes out...

Immortiss, Pro Scoundrel and Diggs like this.
  19. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Do we know for sure anybody's ego played any part? I think it's too early to blame any party. If there was a conflict of interest, they sure want to keep silent about it...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This stuff happened on Indy IV, as I believe Frank Darabount wrote the original script, but Lucas/Spielberg never liked it, so he was off the project? If anyone has better details, feel free to correct me.

Sometimes I wonder if its better off they let Star Wars alone. This is the same way I started feeling during the PT, but now I am getting the feeling BEFORE the ST. Should have stopped in 1983?

Immortiss likes this.
  21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

It is a pity that ST09 and STITD were both plagued by plot holes galore.

No. I had no problems when Lucas continued the story with the PT. As far as I'm concerned, he was right to do so. But after the sale of LucasFilm to Disney, along with the plans for the ST; I began to feel uneasy. I hope I'm wrong to feel this way.

As for Arndt's script . . .well, too bad. Being an Oscar winner doesn't guarantee that everyone would like it. This isn't the first time this happened. Remember Leigh Brackett and the script for ESB?

Veloz likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Ah, so that is why I like the movie!

23. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    People do realize Abrams did not work on the script for either Star Trek film, right? Star Trek was Orci and Kurtzman's baby with J.J. being brought on board to sell Star Trek to the studio.

24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The overreaction is strong with this one.

25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.