main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he's baaaack.

Darkslayer, epic and DarthTunick like this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    He says he feels more explosive than before the injury, which (obviously) bodes well for Chicago, and should put a fright in the other Eastern contenders (not named Miami).

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I hope Rose has the second best season of anyone in the NBA who appeared in zero games last season ...

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It really doen't [face_shame_on_you]

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It's MVP time!

epic likes this.
  6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Courtesy of Deadspin... no surprise to see which teams are on the top & bottom of that chart.

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope my fantasy league this winter does better than last winter's where it only lasted a week.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Any interest in a JC Fantasy basketball league? ESPN tends to do pretty well.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I could be talked into it

10. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    not really, no. i'm just tired of fantasy sports. hope you find enough people though.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-clippers-obscure-lakers-banners-staples-center-20131018,0,6788602.story#axzz2iJAv9cE7]Clipper[/url] player banners to cover up Lakers title banners/retired jersey's during the season

The picture you see there is from their use in a recent pre-season game. I actually like this move by the Clippers... finally fed up of seeing all the reminders of the great Laker accomplishments throughout the decades, and trying to motivate themselves to do better. Not bad. And naturally this further proves the folly of having the Clippers & Lakers share the same arena. It's never made sense, and it will never make complete sense to me.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus, maybe that motivates/pisses off the Lakers enough to light a fire underneath them this season (at the very least it's likely to tick off Kobe).

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol no

heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If the Clippers were to ever leave Staples, and stay within the city/county of L.A., here's a perfect spot for them:

[​IMG].

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-forum-renovation-20130730-dto,0,7822933.htmlstory]A[/url] renovated Forum looks to poach events, become a rival venue for the Staples Center

Though obviously its main use going forward will be for concerts, etc, I don't think it would be impossible for basketball to be played there again. Granted the Clippers would be accused (maybe) of piggybacking the Lakers, still in their shadow in the unlikely event of a move there, but I'd support it (if not that, then there's my other pipe dream: having the Lakers play 2-6 home games there per season). Why not put such a classic, hallowed Southern California venue back into the NBA mix?

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is great.

Yoda_S, xblackout, Souderwan and 3 others like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If there's pizza and ice cream.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Opening Night is Tuesday! Cavs open on Wednesday. I'm actually excited for NBA season this year. And, for the first time since that fateful ESPN special, not just to see where the Cavs end up in the lottery!

Here's my predictions:

Eastern Conference Playoff teams, in Order:

Heat / Bulls / Pacers / Nets / Knicks / Pistons / Cavaliers / Wizards

Conference Finals: Pacers over Heat

Western Conference Playoff Teams, in Order:

Clippers / Spurs / Thunder / Warriors / Rockets / Grizzlies / Mavs / T-Wolves

Finals: Thunder over Pacers

MVP: Kevin Durant
    ROY: Victor Oladipo
    COY: Randy Wittman (Wizards)

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope the Cavs get into the playoffs this year!

DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    really excited for the season to start. i like your predictions for the most part inty. i would put the nuggets in the playoffs somewhere though and bump the wolves. i think the wolves will be improved but not that much.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a difference a year makes in anticipation: Last October I had visions of a possible deep playoff run, with the chance of certain individual maintaining the lineage of great Laker centers for many, many seasons. This October, with that certain individual now playing for Houston, and among many other concerns (Kobe's Achilles, Nash's career likely ending before his Laker contract is up, a questionable coach, possible in-fighting with Jeanine & Jim Buss, having to rely on Chris Kaman, an offense (in part due to Nick Young) that may not stink... but the defense, I'm not so sure; etc...), I'm hoping for a season that isn't a complete, utter disaster: at least a .500 or better record, and maybe, just maybe snatching a 7th or 8th seed.

Of course, despite all of that, there's always going to be a level of excitement/joy when any season starts... I'm too much of a Laker geek/nerd to get completely down about having (Laker) basketball back in my life for a few months. All the little things come to play here: the people watching of the courtside regulars (I'm thinking of keeping track to see how many games each of them is in attendance for, and the games they miss. :p ), seeing how many games the 'Hollywood Nights' jerseys are worn, watching in horror when they don the short sleeve jerseys, how many times Bill Macdonald over emphasizes an early Laker lead (in any given game), lurking over at the Laker Nation Forums to see how crazy things get over there, etc.

As for the rest of the association, here are my predictions:

Western Conference playoff teams

1) Spurs
    2) Clippers
    3) Golden State
    4) OKC
    5) Grizzlies
    6) Houston
    7) Dallas or Denver
    8) Minnesota or Lakers

Eastern Conference playoff teams

1) Miami
    2) Charlotte
    2) Chicago
    3) Brooklyn
    4) Indiana
    4) Philadelphia
    5) New York Knickerbockers
    6) Atlanta
    7) Cleveland
    8) Washington/Detroit/Toronto

The 2014 Finals: Clippers over Chicago

MVP: Derrick Rose
    COY: Mark Jackson
    ROY: Victor Oladipo

What will annoy me the most* this season, should it happen: That certain individual over in Houston, you know, the center, having a hell of a year, helping Houston to a Conference Finals appearance, and possibly another series after that.

*subject to change

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Rose, and the Bulls, have looked pretty epic (lol) in the pre season. here's hoping it holds going into game 1 of the season.

excited about Rose, obviously, but intrigued to see how the Rose + Butler backcourt progresses this season.

23. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Since we're making predictions, here are mine (such as they are). I admit, the Bulls are looking pretty good this year. Miami will have a tough time with them. The Bulls and the Pacers both have a solid shot at taking out the Heat in the East. But I see no reason to doubt the Heat's ability to win in the end.

As for the West, I'm pretty confident on the top 3 teams. The rest is just an educated guess. Although the Lakers have all kinds of issues, so accurately pointed out by Tunes, I still think they can pull together in the end and make it into the playoffs, followed by a hasty exit in the first round (sorry Tunes).

Western Conference playoff teams

1) Clippers
    2) Spurs
    3) Thunder
    4) Warriors
    5) Grizzlies
    6) Rockets
    7) Mavs
    8) Lakers/Wolves

Eastern Conference playoff teams

1) Heat
    2) Bulls
    3) Clippers
    4) Nets
    5) Knicks
    6) Pistons
    7) Cavs
    8) Atlanta?

Finals: Heat over Clippers/Thunder

MVP: Lebron James

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    looking forward to going all in on the warriors this year. it will be the first time since the sonics left that i've rooted for one team above all the rest. that said, i can't rate them as high as you guys simply because when curry, lee and bogut are three of your most important players there are always going to be injury concerns. still i do think they'll make the playoffs and hopefully they'll be healthy at the right time to make a deep run. here are my predictions:

west

thunder
    clippers
    spurs
    rockets
    grizzlies
    warriors
    nuggets
    mavs

east

bulls
    heat