main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New 6" Black Series Coming From Hasbro

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 30, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Entertainer had R2 and Maul (a couple of each) when I was there yesterday.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    While I initially considered collecting this 6" line when it was first announced & I saw the great pictures, I've decided to pass on these. Yes, the sculpting definitely looks amazing & these are some of the best renditions of Luke X-wing, Darth Maul, etc. in figure form. However, I just don't want to start on collecting yet another line - and, if I do start collecting, I'll probably want to get all of them (even the very HTF exclusives). Going along with this, IMHO $18-$20 retail is crazy expensive for these figures.

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Yodanews has HQ pics of Wave 3 - Obi-Wan (ROTS) Stormtrooper, and Bespin Luke. The 4th is Anakin who's picture's already been released.

Obi-Wan
    Bespin Luke
    Stormtrooper

I need to check my finances to see if I can pick up wave 2, it's now hitting online retailers.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Thankfully I'm not a completist. If I were, I never would've jumped in @ $20 a pop. I knew I'd probably only want 1-2 per wave, and so far that's held true.

Awesome, thanks for the pics :D. At least that wave as some synergy with Ep. III Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Most of the pre-orders I've seen for Wave 2 are $120-130 + S&H, and since I'm iffy on Slave Leia and 50/50 on Greedo, I'm holding off to see if I can find them at retail first. Give how fast Boba will sell I probably should just pre-order, but I'll roll the dice.

I'll get Bespin Luke and the Stormtrooper from Wave 3, which would have me averaging 2 figures from each wave. Not too big of a wallet killer.

5. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Just picked up the second series of Star Wars Black a week or two ago and have been getting around to reviewing them all. Overall it's a pretty impressive wave although Leia is quite a weak figure.

I've reviewed- Boba Fett: http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/11/action-figure-review-boba-fett-from.html

Princess Leia- http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/11/action-figure-review-princess-leia.html

Han Solo: http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/11/action-figure-review-han-solo-from-star.html

and Greedo: http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/11/action-figure-review-greedo-from-star.html

If anyone has any questions about these guys, feel free to let me know! I know a lot of fans are still waiting to decide if they're going to jump onboard with this line, and I'd have to recommend at least buying one or two characters you like to try it out.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Cool deal! I'm waiting on Han, Leia, and Greedo to show up. I ordered them through Hasbro direct and they aren't shipping yet. Grrr.

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Sorry for the double post - my internet's been annoying the last few days :(

Out of the next wave, I'm really only interested in Obi-Wan and Luke. There are rumored to be tons of clones, etc on the way *yawn so that'll help my wallet out.

Looking forward to Anakin at the beginning of the year. There are rumors that Chewie, Vader, Jawas, and C-3PO are on the list to come next.

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Awesome work, Barbecue17! Love the layout of your reviews. I got my Boba Fett Friday, and I still haven't taken him out of the box, but I told LAJ I would share a pic when he came, so here he is.

[​IMG]

I'm extremely impressed with him. My pic is a little dark, but the paint details, especially all of the battle scarring, is fantastic. Like with the Sandtrooper, it's just much easier to hide the articulation on these armored characters I think. I got lucky and nabbed Boba for $26.50 w/free shipping from an Amazon seller. I told my friend and Boba Fett fanatic about it and when he went they had bumped him up to $45! My guess is that they must've mis-priced him initially or realized that they had undervalued him, as virtually every other seller has him listed in the upper 30s/mid to upper 40s.

Most of the pe-orders I've seen are for November 25th. Given that that's a holiday week that might put their arrival on your doorstep near the end of the month.

Did you read anything about Anakin being dropped from wave 3? I forget now where I saw that, but they claimed wave 3 was now only going to be three figures; Luke, Stormtrooper and Obi-Wan.

I'm really curious to see what waves 4 and 5 will be. Hasbro's really playing their cards close to the chest on these aren't they? Vader, Chewbacca and C-3PO seem like givens to be in the next couple of waves. I suppose the biggest question with Vader is, which version; Episode IV or Episode V/VI (Lots of subtle and not so subtle differences in his armor)?

I was at Target today and they had re-stocked wave 1, and only the Sandtrooper had sold. So now the shelf is jammed with wave 1. Not sure if it's like that at other local stores, but I hope that doesn't keep them from putting wave 2 out. I would still like to find Han and Greedo at retail if I can.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks pretty nice, Juke. I haven't seen him at retail. Local Entertainer is still on Wave 1.

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Keep your eyes peeled. He should hopefully start showing up here in the next 2-3 weeks. I think once you see one in person you'll want it :D. As cool as I thought it looked in the pics I was even more impressed when he arrived, which is rarely the case with these things.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Juke - Hasbro confirmed that Wave 3 will only be 3 characters and that Anakin will be in the next wave.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Cool, thanks for the confirmation :D. I wonder why they're holding him back? It seemed such a natural fit to have him in the same wave as Obi-Wan. They would really help sell one another.

13. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Boba looks great Juke :)

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks, Mike. He's even better in person. I'm still not crazy about paying $20+ for these, but I am really into this line.

15. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    While initial rumors were that Anakin was being held back to accomodate some changes to his head sculpt or to allow for two Stormtroopers in series 3 cases, it now seems that Hasbro wants to build carry over slots into each wave. I think Han Solo will be shipping again in the initial wave of series 3 releases.

I just got around to reviewing the Sandtrooper, even though he's been out for quite sometime. The reivew is here: http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/11/action-figure-review-sandtrooper-from.html

Now I've reviewed everyone except for SDCC Boba Fett, but I'm not planning on picking him up.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Ahhh, okay. Thanks for the info. Either one is a good idea IMO. That Stormtrooper is going to be a hot seller, so two per case would've made sense, but I also like the idea of a carryover figure. But why Han and not Boba Fett? You can't touch Boba for under $40 on eBay or Amazon right now (I got lucky), and I know a lot of collectors will miss out on him at retail. Han figures to be popular, but Boba is the Black Series Prom King.

Great job on the review BTW :D.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  17. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    My guess is that Hasbro figures Boba Fett has either already had two releases (technically) and we'll probably see a ROTJ styled Boba Fett or a Jango Fett sometime in the near future. Who knows, though. Maybe Boba will carry over with another series assortment in the future. The only concern I have for carryovers and such is that it makes it tougher for e-tailers to simply sell a case of figures. With series one and series two, I could simply order a case. Now a case is going to net duplicates or figures I already have which means that the pricing on newer figures will probably go up to cover for carryovers that tend to sell for less.

18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That's something I hadn't considered, mostly because I don't buy cases. There's a trade off there for sure. Good for collectors at retail, bad for those—and there are many—who simply buy whole cases on-line. Maybe some e-tailers will just remove the carryover figure and sell it solo (no pun intended) and then offer the rest of the case as usual.

19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Just a heads up to anyone who is still on the fence about the 6" series or for those who haven't picked up wave 1 yet. Rebelscum had a story today about a pre-Black Friday deal on Amazon. %50 off all wave 1 figures (Except the Sandtrooper for some odd reason), with free shipping on orders over $35. Article doesn't say how long the sale lasts.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  20. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    Dang. Getting these guys for $10 each is a real steal. Everyone interested needs to try at least one. It's hard to explain how crazy awesome these things are in hand.

21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Absolutely. I think once you get your first taste of these you're hooked. I've been pushing for a 6" line for years (there's a thread I started buried in here somewhere), but I'll admit when it was finally announced the $20 price point killed my enthusiasm. But then I saw them in person and now I'm like "Release the next wave already!".

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Haha!

That's a good price. I don't need wave 1 though - got all of them already. Just waiting for my 3 Wave 2 figures to show up. *Twiddles thumbs*

23. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    Well, Big Bad Toy Store has started putting up cases of series 3 for preorder and the assortment breakdown is 1 Stormtrooper, 1 Bespin Luke, 1 ROTS Obi Wan, and a carryover of Han Solo from wave 2.

Which means less full cases probably being sold, not a good thing for e-tailers. An extra Stormtrooper would have been a much better idea.

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Gotta love them jacking up the prices for stormtrooper and Luke. Thanks BBT, I'll pass on pre-ordering from you.

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, this carryover thing has its pluses and minuses, but it's an absolute pfffft! [face_bleh] to e-tailers and collectors who like to order whole cases.

An extra Stormtrooper would've been the better way to go, but if you absolutely must do a carryover, do Boba.