main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    IMO, ST:ID is one big script problem. I think it was worse than the first one. I still like the cast, and there are some good character moments, but I had a lot of problems with it.

Darth PJ, Diggs and LawJedi like this.
  2. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013

The problem is that JJ himself has SAID that he thinks SW is "all about the puzzle box".

TED conference in 08 or 09, IIRC http://io9.com/5980688/watch-jj-abrams-explaining-why-star-wars-is-all-about-the-mystery-box

3. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013

The weird thing is that ID in many ways was the superior movie (at least for me). The writing was actually tighter, the characters more settled, and the humor more organic and less obviously inserted for giggles.

Visually it was a bit cleaner as well (fewer flares, more settled visual FX), but I took points away for too many obvious "ok, this is where we do the [x] shot" moments (like the spacejump and Enterprise rising from clouds).

TKT likes this.
  4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    For those earlier concerned, tons of Lucasfilm alumni are back, and listed in the press release (including Ian and Doug). Dennis Muren, Ben Burtt. Vets.

Random thought, I think Muren and Burtt are my two favorite Star Wars production people. They are just that right mix of nerdy and easygoing. Muren's got that classic animator vibe and he and Burtt obviously love their work. They are humble gods in my estimation.

5. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013

Muren's not listed but we can all assume he will be back in some capacity.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Muren encouraged GL with the Special Editions.

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    We can? That's news to me.. but good news nonetheless.

8. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you, Colts. I stand corrected.

Going back to the J.J. announcement Muren is quoted as saying "We're kickstarting Star Wars again with dynamite" which seems to assume he's onboard.

9. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Michael Arndt, we hardly knew ye =((

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed from "to write" to "wrote"?

11. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Well, we don't even really 'know he' yet. I look forward to reading the work he's done on Ep. VII. He's a good writer and got a shot at a dream gig. I can't wait to see his drafts on the scripts.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. kane1138

kane1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2013
    Oh, Jesus. You know, I don't mind the concept of a mystery in Star Wars, as long as they know what the 'answer' is and are simply holding it back. What I don't like is when they have no clue and are jerking us around in the name of 'suspense' (see any of Damon Lindelof's work).

13. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^BINGO! I read a really in depth analysis of JJ as a filmmaker that said just that. Puzzle box complexity is FALSE complexity. It's "mysteriousness" trying to be genuine mystery. And typically PB is an attempt to mask pathetically basic story plotting and bad characterization.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  14. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not sure you can make "mystery" your goal.

15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Agreed. The trouble with mystery is that it's only really effective once, whereas Star Wars fans have a tendency to watch the films repeatedly, often numbering in the hundreds. I actually doubt any film is watched more often by as many people as any of the Star Wars films. So while I appreciate the mystery aspects of, say, AOTC, it's more the mysterious tone that I continue to enjoy rather than the mystery elements of the story itself. And even if they manage a reveal in this trilogy as shocking as the one in TESB, that can only take you so far in terms of effective storytelling. There has to be enough weight behind it for it to remain interesting or dramatically satisfying on repeat viewings.

16. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The key to making a good movie is ALWAYS strong writing. Good characters and a tight plot. JJ's plots are sloppy and shallow (which he covers up with PB), and many times his characters are either cartoonish or incomprehensible.

Karsdan (sp?) is going to have to somehow fend off his boss and keep him as far away from the story and script as possible.

Visivious Drakarn and Darth PJ like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Dude, I still think you're blaming JJ for "The Horsemen's" bad writing. Have the scripts to three of JJ's movies been bad? IMO, yes. Should JJ stop working with "The Horsemen" all the time? IMO, yes. Have the scripts that JJ has written himself been a lot better? IMO, yes.

18. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    @ Kev: I disagree. I thought the characters in Super 8 were relatable and well realized. Not super deep psychological realism, but it's not that kind of film.

VMeran, eht13, Bob Octa and 2 others like this.
  19. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with Roach, tone is everything.

That's part of the reason I think concept paintings are everything for these movies.

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The Fringe characters were some of my all-time favorite. The father-son relationship between Peter and Walter was epic. Just writing that makes me feel emotional.

my kind of scum likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "You Arndt the writer!"

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Man, I really have to watch Fringe.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    An interesting parallel here is the original Planet of the Apes. Rod Serling worked for a long time on the screenplay, he broke all the hard ground in adapting the novel and really helped make the film a produce-able movie. But in the end the director hired another writer to rewrite all of the dialogue. They kept Serling's characters, his concept of the "world", his version of the background history, his scene sequence, structure and ending; all they changed was a dialogue. What's interesting is that if you read the Serling draft, the dialogue is really stiff and arch, not loose and memorable like his best work. The rewrites actually "sound" more like Serling than Serling did!

Maybe the Arndt Draft was like that. It could be that he made major contributions to laying it all out and making GL's notes into a film-able script; but JJA wanted changes that make necessary improvements. It's possible.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  24. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    By gum, Hero, you sound positively hopeful!

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked Super 8 a lot dagummit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.