main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was subbed when I played, and I generally found that it was possible to skip the really crappy ones. For example, I was Pub side for the most part, and found it was quite worthwhile getting to 20 or thereabouts on Coruscant, in order to only have to do Class missions on Taris. A combination of liking Coruscant and hating Taris with a passion made that by far the best option for me. But that's what it mainly comes down to, and why I said it'd be easier after your first toon, is personal choice. Certain planets will grab you with their atmosphere, or the nice flow of their mission structure, while others will annoy and repulse you based on the same factors.

And man, I really really hate Taris. It seems like every mission-start is a 1000 miles from its component parts, the landscape is full of dead ends that look on the minimap like shortcuts, the flipping rakhghoul quest hardly ever works... etc.

And by the way, if subbing is not an option, try to get preferred if at all possible. It carries a few decent upgrades from straight up f2p, and I think you only have to spend like $5 on cartel coins, which will themselves come in handy in shoring up things you're missing out on from Sub status.

2. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I guess I shouldn't complain about a game that has cost me exactly £0 - it's probably the best value for money I've ever had with a SW product ;) I am tempted to upgrade or try out the 60 day subscription though.I don't think I'd have a problem with it if it gives me more options, makes the game easier and overall enhance my enjoyment.

What is a Flashpoint anyway and how do they differ from Heroic + missions? I have avoided them because I know they are multiplayer missions and I still haven't got to grips with what I should be doing in a party situation or whether I'd be a liability to the other players?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not finding the storyline bland at all. I love my Bounty Hunter: she reminds me of Mira from KotOR II. It's just that the missions lack the diversity of those found in it's ancestors due to the nature of it being an MMO where the focus seems to be about levelling. My favourite missions in 1 and 2 were often the unusual side missions, like the Mandalorian stowaway girl or Jolee Bindo's murder trial. They made me feel like I was part of a world that would continue to exist even when I'm not around. In this game, each world I visit has static npcs waiting for me to come along. I'm not really complaining - again, it suits the nature of the MMO game - but it does feel like a massive step backwards from what was supposed to be KotOR III, IV, V VI etc...

I'm not enjoying Balmorra at all. After the atmosphere and landscape of Dromund Kaas and Hutta, this planet feels really dull. Not to mention the struggle I'm having trying to find a blasted cave, retracing my steps to kill the same enemies I killed 30 seconds ago. Grr :mad: Now I understand how Bioware get people to subscribe: face many hours of tedious monotony or pay up and get cool looking armour and an easier gameplay experience. Man,but I do really need some new armour :)

3. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Flashpoints are instanced missions - you join a group and that group goes somewhere (a planet, a starship) and engages in a prolonged mission ~100 enemy mobs and 5 bosses. Each boss drops a piece of fully modded orange gear suitable to the level. Heroics, for the most part, lack complicated boss fight mechanics. Each flashpoint has it's own story, though some are more complicated than others and several flashpoints have two-part stories - such as Boarding Party and the Foundry.

As a mercenary, assuming you're not doing mercenary heals (which you shouldn't, it's one of the more complicated character rotations and not suited for a 1st playthrough) you're DPS, which means your role in a party situation is fairly simple - dish out damage. In more complicated flashpoints DPS characters are also responsible for triggered mechanics and for killing adds (minions a boss may spawn mid-fight) quickly. You should be able to find strategies for pretty much every flashpoint online without difficulty.

Finding locations shouldn't be that difficult, you can wander about with the map active, it goes transparent while you're moving. Balmorra is somewhat boring, and it is a bit big if you don't have a speeder yet - an event that completely changes how you move around the game world. Also, you can run through enemy mobs quite easily, just keep going and they eventually evade, just make sure to turn your companion off from combat so they don't die needlessly.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  4. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks Mechalich. I've been putting points into the Arsenal tree in favour of the other two. How do I change Mako's combat behaviour?

5. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000

In the expanded companion toolbar (I think you press ~ to bring it up, not 100% sure), two of the boxes down towards the bottom of the bar are 2 different stances your companion can have, roughly relating to the party roles a player can take on. So, one companion will be a tank, another a healer, etc, but all of them can also DPS. The tooltip that pops up when you hover over these two boxes should make it pretty clear which is which. I never rolled a BH so I can't tell you for sure about Mako, but that should mostly cover it. Also, you can deactivate certain skills on their bar so they don't use them in combat. I believe that it's shift+right click, but again I'm not 100% sure. Other than that, you can switch their weapon type. Keep in mind, however, that they have stats the same as you do, and will be inherently better at certain things. If you find that one companion or the other isn't cutting it for you, the best option may be to switch them out as soon as you can.

As far as your role in Flashpoints, don't worry about it, Mecha pretty much had it right. You'll be DPS, so just be decently equppied, and figure out a rotation that hits hard without starving your energy too bad, and you'll be fine.

So much this. I ran Commando heals as my first toon, and it was bloody brutal.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Someone here that plays on European Server? If you are, which one?

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    After playing for about 2 weeks, I had to subscribe. I felt like the perks were worth the money, and I'd rather put a little money a month to play such an awesome game with full benefits than spend a lot of money on some random merch.

Jedi Master Kenobiwan likes this.
  8. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks Ben :)

April, have you got a bigger version of your avatar pic?

9. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

Not my work, found it from Google :D

Dark-Fox likes this.
  10. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    That's a good picture, thanks Hello_Fett :D

Sorry for messing with the thread's continuity...

Hello_Fett likes this.
  11. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Is there any plan for a Mac platform for the game?

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Not that I'm aware of, I think there might have been pre-launch.

How about Boot Camp?

13. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I considered it, but my dad doesn't want Windows at all on any of his computers. I haven't gotten around to buying my own computer yet, so I'm stuck as it is.

14. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    I played through it about a year ago, finished the Sith Warrior story and it was great in parts. However for the most part, I found it quite boring, especially when you're going around killing the same enemies all the time.

15. Gaarland

Gaarland Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2014
    I was a former sub at launch but I'm feeling the itch again. Is the ship battle mode good now? Before it was just a rail shooter. It actually wasn't bad but same thing all over again made it a huge chore.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeah the ship battle mode is pretty good, it's much more detailed so it has it's own tutorial which I didn't realise until I jumped into my first PvP battle and was rubbish :D.

If you're used to Tie fighter / X-wing etc there is some form of an ELS system which is nice.

17. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I just started playing TOR and I think its really fun! But I had a question I can't seem to find an answer to. When i friend a player, is it friending the account or only that character? And do they only know my character's name and online status, or can they access my email, account name, etc? I'm hesitant to add a bunch of friends unless I know they can't access anything other than my character name.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  19. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014

Customer Service is only for Subscribers, and I'm preferred level. It's ok, though, I don't think people can because I can only see the character name. You don't even friend the account, just the character.

20. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeah friending is just adding the character name to the list, no account information given. Friending someone doesn't even alert your new 'friend' that you have added them to your list.

21. Sithaldo

Sithaldo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Are people playing this? I did for a short while but then stopped. Then it was stop/start again for me. But I know hardly anyone that actually plays so it all got rather lonely. Then I went back to SWG:emu but suffered the same issues.

If there is an active user base on this I'd be interested in joining any guilds

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I play on one of the Euro servers, can't remember the name of it now.

TBH I haven't logged on for a little while, I'm waiting to get my office / spare room sorted so I can set my computer up in there as currently I'm hogging the dining table which the other half absolutely loves [face_not_talking]

When I was playing I was levelling a Gunslinger, I think I'd just reached mid 20's.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Out of curiosity, do the JCF have a guild for this game? I used to play it a lot but got bored. I was playing KOTOR and that reinvigorated me (kind of).

24. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    There's a very small group of TOR players who hang out in this thread. I was kindly added to the Imperial guild (Artistically Done) on Jedi Covenant some time ago and have ended up with the Guildmaster spot somehow [face_dunno] I know there's a Republic guild as well, but I'm not in it. The Imp one is pretty much empty, but if anyone would actually like to join please just ask, I'm around pretty often.

25. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey not sure if this is the right thread to ask but has anyone gotten the error code 4001?