main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Why would there be a Halo 4 GOTY edition when that game wasn't GOTY by anyone's reckoning?

Zeta1127 and Draconarius like this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I don't know why its a GotY Edition either, I would think a more descriptive name would have been something like Halo 4: Infinity Edition.

3. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Same here. Very confusing (not to mention somewhat arrogant) choice to make for your special edition.

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Apparently it did earn one or two GOTY awards here and there. Still, it's pretty arrogant to add a "GOTY" adjective to a re-release edition when such recognition wasn't so widespread. Hell, you don't see that adjective on Skyrim's re-release package and that game doesn't know what to do with so many GOTY awards! :p

Draconarius and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I wish it had included Spartan Ops on disc. One day the servers will be turned off and that part of the story will be lost (well, it'll exist on YouTube, but it won't be playable).

6. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The Gold requirements for Spartan Ops are indeed annoying. All episodes of Spartan Ops are actually on the disc in this new edition, and the first five are apparently on the original edition, but I wouldn't know since I don't have Gold.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Considering the hefty size of the Spartan Ops installs, I figure the cutscenes are indeed included therein, but tbh I've never tried to play them while offline. And it is indeed head-scratchingly frustrating that you can't even play content installed locally while offline. At the very least you should be able to play solo!

But in regards to Spartan Ops, it all seems like so much false advertisement on the part of 343/MS since I figured we'd have continuous content (even if eventually we'd have to pay for it) and that didn't happen. In any case, I never cared much for it. In any case, IMO, it is essentially a really poor substitute for Firefight.

Which brings me to something I've been wondering about lately: are Halo's days numbered? It seems like the franchise has lost a huge number of players lately. I've popped every so often online and the Halo 4 servers seem like ghost towns and if often seems there are more players still grinding away in Reach than in the newer game. 343 just doesn't seem to give the property the same T.L.C. Bungie used to. Halo 4's MP has always been laggy, janky and simply unpolished. We were charged for DLC you can't play anymore in normal circumstances both in Reach and Halo 4. Essentially, I sense an overall level of apathy and feel more inclined to spend time away from Halo until the eventual brief bout of nostalgia hits. Maybe it's just me, but I can't help feel that Halo has lost that lovin' feeling. :p

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't get why Spartan Ops requires Gold either, that fact alone is why I still believe Spartan Ops will never be a true replacement for Firefight, that and since I don't have Gold, I haven't been able to play it to find out if it is any good in the first place. I don't have much of an opinion on the way they did DLC and retiring older DLC playlists for the newest one immediately, because I have never really got to experience Halo multiplayer beyond spiltscreen. The only reason I am even playing other things besides Halo 4 at the moment is because there is nothing left for me to do since I don't have Gold.

9. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Darth_Invidious Given that we were given a little over an hour of Blur-level (the CG company, not the racing game) cutscenes, I'm guessing it was much too expensive to continue.

That, and since they
    blew up Requiem, they would have had to create all new environments, instead of using the MP maps.

10. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Darth_Invidious: I think they just might be numbered. The population has plummeted and is barely topping playable levels most of the time now, and SpOps has proven to be a bust overall. A lot rides on H5 on the Xbone. Assuming that H4 hasn't done too much damage already, then H5 might be enough to breathe some life back into the franchise if it turns out well. If it's only average or worse I think it will be the final nail in the coffin.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think 343 and MS have done considerable damage to the franchise in their efforts to milk it dry. There's also the fact that the inevitable changes to the gameplay formula brought on by Reach and perpetuated in H4 also alienated many players. Certainly many adapted and keep on playing but the fact remains that Halo is now perhaps far too CoD'y and considerably less tactical in the eyes of other longstanding Halo players.

Xbone will, for many of those players, be a necessary addition in order to enjoy the next Halo iteration, just like the 360 was before it. I made the jump then to finish the fight. But it seems that fight should've ended right then and there. MS should've tried harder to keep Bungie under its wing and let them develop something new like Destiny instead of making them churn out one Halo after another.

12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The way I figure it, 'Game of the Year Edition' is just an easy name to put on a collection regardless of how many GOTY awards it got. I really liked Halo 4 and think it should have gotten more GOTY awards, but that's probably just me. Even Dead Island got a GOTY edition, which does suggest that that's the case.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder if other Halo fans are more mad over what Karen Traviss has done than they are about Halo 4? I know I am, to the point I only care about reading the first six novels.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Lay it on me: what atrocities has she written now?

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    She made ONI into a bunch paranoid lunatics and really vilified Halsey in her Kilo-Five Trilogy (I would argue its far worse than what the prologue and Spartan Ops did, but I only know the prologue), among other things. I haven't read it, the third novel isn't even out yet, but I don't even really want to.

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I get the feeling they're going to make both ONI and Halsey into antagonists, actually.

While the writing hasn't always been great (especially in the Kilo-Five novels!), it'd be interesting to have human villains after fighting the Covenant, Flood and Prometheans.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is ONI to me is people like Veronica Dare and I can't condemn Halsey for what she did, so I don't think they can sell me on them as antagonists.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You can't condemn Halsey for kidnapping and experimenting on children to turn them into biomechanical weapons? I know her creations were for the "greater good" and helped save the human race, but still...

I haven't read (nor plan to read) any of those novels, but what I don't get is that Spartan-II was an ONI black project, so why would the former head of that agency want to crucify Halsey? Was it just to tie up loose ends or to save face against the entire UNSC apparatus?

And...it seems we've hijacked this thread. :p

07jonesj likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I noticed that after I posted and everyone just came out of the woodwork and started chiming in, though since the Halo 4 thread on here died shortly after it was released, I am not really that surprised that this happened in the first place.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Batman Arkham Origins

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

[​IMG]

22. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
  23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Crash Bandicoot 2

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

25. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Just started on Red Dead Redemption this week. I am enjoying it so far. It's very immersive. It's visually pretty and the dialogue top notch. I am alternating between this and Hydrophobia: Prophecy.