main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Shields?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthbarracuda, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Energy Shields" might simply be a ray shield and a particle shield combined.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Correct - and DSII's shield required a massive generator located on a planet it orbited, which would also explain why DSI didn't have one - it was finished and had to be mobile, so the option wasn't there (although passing through a 'magnetic shield' is mentioned by one of the Rebel pilots at the start of the Battle of Yavin, probably a ray shield of some sort).

3. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

Makes sense. BTW I'm loving your signature!

4. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I just looked up shields on Wookiepedia, and there are two types of shields. Ray shields, which deflect energy attacks, such as lasers, etc. and particle shields which deflect solid objects, such as asteroids, torpedoes, etc.
    Here is the article:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deflector_shield

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Energy shields also exist, though. There's one in ROTJ protecting the second Death Star, for one, and the technology is also used sparingly in the EU.

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'm thinking "energy shield" might just be a blanket term to describe an indiscriminate type of shield. Kinda like how "blaster" can refer to anything from a blaster pistol to a turbolaser.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So what is the large shield used by the Gungans in TPM? By this definition it would be a ray shield since the droids can walk through it and thus the other categories are apparently ruled out. But what about the "ray shields" on the Invisible Hand in ROTS? If you could just walk through them the characters wouldn't have been trapped.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Different models of shields, I guess. By the time of the Imperial era, such models had become more standardized.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's designed to affect biological systems? Thus- a human who walks into a Gungan shield will get nasty shocks etc- but a droid can safely walk through.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Somehow I doubt George Lucas read the Wookiepedia article on shields when he wrote that scene.

11. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Just seems like the use and abilities of the shields are used as a plot device and don't really have a real explanation.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.