main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are the most original and interesting inventions of the post-ROTJ EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 23, 2013.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Hoojibs. They're rabbits. PSYCHIC rabbits. And they say there are no more new ideas.

CeiranHarmony and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ehh, while the idea was executed really well, especially the ending, I don't think it was that original.

Evil Empire again, just this time they're invading, using biotech (which is really just a cosmetic detail), and aren't sensed in the Force.

Sure, they're more original than a lot of other EU creations, but I don't think they're one of the EU's greatest accomplishments.

Like the Vong... more original than other EU ideas, but not really that original. Plus that idea wasn't executed well.

She was basically just a superpowered, dark-side spirit that... like usual... simply wanted to rule the galaxy.

The idea of Mara is certainly interesting, and bolder than just marrying a random woman (force-sensitive or not).

But she is basically just a female, young, un-mutilated, and un-related Darth Vader. Who lives after turning to the good side.

They always seemed rather one-dimensional and over-the-top to me. Dinosaur cyborg vampires.

You basically just restated my opinion :p

(bolded for emphasis)

I'm not sure, isn't he really just a second Luke?

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luuke Skywalker, forever, yo!

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Summer Dreamer Maybe Anakin Solo is another Luke but I like him for it.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why do you think that?

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

No other species ever captured my interest like they did.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    The Praxeum on Yavin 4. I like the idea... but not much of what was done with it.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hutt Space? :D

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The Imperial Remnant, Rogue Squadron, and the Empire of the Hand.

One of the reasons I like the Remnant so much is because it just seems like such a natural progression for the Empire. That Robot Chicken sketch with two Imperial officers arguing over the fate of the Empire after the Battle of Endor is spot-on ("We still have a massive fleet that controls the entire galaxy!" "Yeah, but they destroyed the Death Star and killed the Emperor. If you do both, you win the war"). A gradual whittling down of the Empire until they're a backwater power just seems... well, logical. And if the New Republic are supposed to be the good guys, then no, they're not going to insist upon the Remnant's complete and utter destruction. A negotiated peace that opens up a) the idea of stories about the New Republic and the Remnant teaming up with each other and b) the idea of Imperials laying low for a few decades and subtly rebuilding their power base is, well, good storytelling. It might not have been so in another author's hands, but I'll be damned if Hand of Thrawn ever stops being my favourite piece of the entire EU.

What else could have been done with the Empire? The Warlords being defeated one-by-one in the absence of Daala's unification? A more fanatical leader than Pellaeon taking the fleet into the Unknown Regions and swearing to one day return and exact vengeance? Yawn. Another thing I dig about the Remnant is how unstable it actually is. In Hand of Thrawn, the entire fleet is ready to rally behind a reborn Thrawn and attempt to reclaim their former glory, despite Pellaeon's attempts at peace. Even Pelly himself is an advocate of ending the war, laying low, and rebuilding their power base for a potential future rebirth. He may have been somewhat whitewashed by Williams and Dix a little later on, but much of the Remnant has remained diehard New Order-loving New Republic-hating bad guys right up to the end of FOTJ. The Remnant under Lecersen supported Caedus and committed war crimes. The Remnant under Jag erupted into a brief civil war when Daala promised to make them eeeeevil again. Although Invincible and Ascension are both far, far, far away from being stellar books, they did both present a believable Remnant that, let's face it, hasn't exactly transformed into a bunch of angels. It would be boring if they were simply a second New Republic. Sure, the civil war in Ascension is a bit much, but it's the right idea --- a Remnant with half of its Moffs just waiting for an excuse to openly be bad guys again.

JackG, Iron_lord and Mia Mesharad like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Krayt's appearance in Legacy, may have given the nastier Moffs of that generation their excuse to openly be bad guys.

11. Master Corran Horn

Master Corran Horn Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    Allana Solo anyone?

SiouxFan likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Allana Solo, who?

13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    How is she original? :confused:

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Gravity Well Generators, assuming it was WEG who originated the concept based on Han's blurb from A New Hope.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I agree with this. I think Mara was/is a very interesting character even if in his last few books Zahn has been going out of his way to destroy his own concept with this supposedly top Imperial agent always helping out the Rebellion and fighting the Imperials with even Zahn admitting its strange.

I also liked Pealloan a lot as a character. Nothing flashy nothing fancy but a great original Imperial character.

For the 2nd part I so disagree, it seems that every smuggler is now a good guy who helps out the NR, it's getting to be a cliche. when I am scratching my head thinking guys this is the Government they are going to be throwing you in jail.

kataja likes this.
  16. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Hmm, good point there. I guess back THEN if was nice. At least I thought so. A bit against conventions. But you are right that today, every smuggler is bound to have a heart of gold - plus the guts to find his own path, of course. While any government guy is either a stickler for paragraphs or a conform egoist who's in it only to secure his own. Ah, well...

And yeah, Pellaeon is great!

17. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    I wish we got to see more really nasty smugglers/pirates in EU, just to show that the Jedi actually do good stuff outside of the Janissary duties.

Edit: And I really love Scout as a character.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I, Jedi had some- in the post-RoTJ era.

19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I also like the fact that at the end of the day, the Empire basically destroys itself. Like Robot Chicken says, after Endor, they do still have "a massive fleet that controls the entire galaxy." But it doesn't matter because without the Emperor and Vader to hold it together, half the senior officers decide to go warlord and what's left of the government is paralyzed by the power struggle between Pestage, the cabal and Isard, so there's no way to mount a unified response. It's the natural result of the way Palpatine rules by pitting his underlings against each other all the time and fracturing the government to make sure no one but him has ultimate power.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    GrandAdmiralJello has mentioned the "wreckers" concept a few times in the past- that Pestage, Dangor and Isard are following Palpatine's instructions when they basically tear what remains of the Empire apart.

21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    How's that? Now I'm curious. Palpatine wanted the Empire to fall after his death? I always assumed the reason he set them at each other's throats was simply so none would be in a position to challenge him in the first place.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    One thing I did think was really good were the scenes in Shadows of the Empire of Vader trying to use the Darkside to heal himself before being undone by the joy of it. Really added some great depth to Vader and Perry had him down pat.

24. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Agreed, I'd give the reward to Truce at Bakura. The entechment thing is really cool.
    Also, Thrawn. An alien admiral that can hold his own, even among the force users, and has pet lizards that negate the force? It's original and epic, because of how successful his characterization is.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Entechment is creepy as hell, it makes me feel horrible inside and that's just wonderful.

Lazy K and Reaper63 like this.