main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Darth Lixiuus

Darth Lixiuus Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 5, 2013
    was emily vancamp (agent 13) in the trailer?

2. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I just watched the trailer for this movie. Looks really good, maybe better than the first. This is one of the most well done trailers I've seen for a recent Marvel film.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I keep forgetting that SLJ was in Goodfellas.

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Nope, I heard she only has a support role in this movie.

You could see Maria Hill for about a second when she walks up to the glass as Cap is watching Fury in operation though.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, he's only in it for about two minutes before he gets whacked. I've probably watched that movie more times than most. :p

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He's also (barely) in True Romance.

7. Yeade

Yeade Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 27, 2003
    I wrote a quick(ish) analysis of the trailer (Marvel UK on YouTube). The below is copied and pasted directly from my earlier Tumblr post breaking down the film's Cleveland shoot (On the Set of Captain America 2), hence the occasional "top of page" and similar references.

Rejoice! A full trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier! I'd forgotten that Thor: The Dark World actually premieres internationally, screening in London on October 22, weeks before opening in the U.S. (Dammit, Marvel!) Analysis time!

[0:39-0:41] Steve and Natasha, wearing their undercover clothes, investigate an old SHIELD facility. Note that Steve has his shield, though he doesn't on his stroll through the mall(?). Granted, carrying around a giant red, white, and blue frisbee isn't exactly helpful when pretending not to be Captain America, lol, but I'm curious where he stashes the thing and with whom, if anyone. Sam? Or perhaps Sharon, his neighbor who's in fact a SHIELD agent assigned to monitor him?

[0:57-0:58] Street view of Fury's car chase, maybe even the start because the black SUV the gunman is shooting at shows no damage. There's another Metro sign in the background--upper left, center--but I can't make out the words. It seems to be just two words, though, so my guess is "Smithsonian Station," which also roughly corresponds with the letter contours. Taking into account this new point, Fury probably isn't coming from a Congressional hearing, as I previously speculated, but the National Mall. Where, I believe, scenes were filmed with Chris Evans. Natasha meets up with Steve there to shake down Sitwell (where?) while Fury's stuck in traffic? Anything to do with the Captain America museum exhibit?

[0:59] The Winter Soldier on the Cleveland bridge that's possibly doubling as I-695. Except short by two lanes on both sides, lol.

[1:01-1:02] Fury on the operating table with Steve and Natasha watching, worried. Maria Hill enters from the left. Definitely after the car chase.

[1:08-1:09] The Winter Soldier (far right) and four of his five goons on the I-695(?) overpass, pinning down Cap and the Black Widow with machine gun fire. From the set video of this (see fifth from top of page), Bucky and the minion who's to his right, not shown in the trailer, target Natasha as she hurdles the freeway median while the rest of his mercenary friends stay on Steve.

[1:09-1:10] Earlier on the bridge, as the vehicular carnage begins. A couple things of note: 1) The Winter Soldier's chillin' on the hood of the Hummer-like jeep behind and to the left of the flipping passenger car. 2) Said car has a sizable hole in the front windshield on the driver's side, a dented roof with what looks like three bullet holes, and a smashed back window. Going out on a bit of a limb here, I'd say the preceding scene is the Winter Soldier atop this car, firing down into it with a handgun (see sixth video from top of page), and that the victim(s) of this accident in progress could be Steve and/or Natasha. The window glass must be bulletproof, which really isn't standard issue on civilian models, considering how many shots it takes at pointblank range before breaking but not shattering entirely. And, well, who else would Bucky be trying to kill with such extreme prejudice? Does the Winter Soldier voluntarily leap back onto the jeep? Or is he knocked back? Perhaps by Steve's shield? Since that would be added as CGI in post-production and the back window does vaguely appear to have been blown outward. Not to mention, a hit from the shield could explain why the whole thing is broken despite presumably being bulletproof, too.

[1:10-1:11] Natasha after the (hypothetical) car wreck above, realizing that the Winter Soldier and his trigger-happy pals are coming around for another pass on foot with automatic weapons.

[1:12] The Winter Soldier stalks towards Fury's overturned SUV.

[1:41] Steve under the bridge? I assume he jumped down after Natasha and Bucky.

[1:41-1:42] D.C. police (fake?) scrambling about at L'Enfant Plaza. No SWAT team in sight yet.

[1:42-1:43] The freeway again, before it turns into a shooting gallery. I just hope people had the good sense to clear out as soon as cars started flipping over. Fangirl aside: Just how awesome is the Winter Soldier's bionic arm?

[1:43-1:48] The Winter Soldier stops Fury's escape by SUV cold (ha!) with a magnetic flying disc that, of course, explodes. Note that the car's been riddled with bullets, placing this after the ambush at L'Enfant Plaza. Previously, I had trouble figuring out how the car chase connects to the action on the bridge and subsequent fighting in the street below, but a study of the Winter Soldier's costuming helps establish a timeline. He wears a jacket (plus gloves) in this scene that covers all of his left arm except the metal fingertips but is stripped down to a tighter (no complaints here!) combat vest with only one sleeve, lol, the right, when trying to gun down Natasha and shiv Steve. So, my theory's that Cap and the Black Widow arrive in the nick of time to save Fury's life, engage the Winter Soldier, and eventually take the show on the road. To draw him away from Fury, I suppose? Just speculating but maybe Steve and Natasha ram Bucky with their car, speeding off towards the freeway with him on the roof. I don't know how the Winter Soldier loses his jacket, though, which I'm sure will be hilarious.

[1:49-1:50] Hey, Bucky's face! I think this is on the Helicarrier. Well, a Helicarrier, probably the one that crashes in flames (No. 42). It's blurry, but those are parked Quinjets in the background. That would also set this action sequence after the car chase and street brawl, IMO, during most of which the Winter Soldier's mask stays on.

[1:54-1:58] The Falcon's cool aerial moves! Off the (a) Helicarrier! Though I'm kind of sad this, which was shot from the Cleveland bridge, IIRC, isn't Sam swooping to Steve and Natasha's rescue.

[1:58-2:00] Knife fight on 4th St. SE! Hawt dayum! XD

...and that about does it for me! I'm not quite obsessed enough (yet, anyways) to freeze frame the rest of the trailer when I've other fannish essays to write. That said, I noticed that Steve goes through a lot of costume changes besides his superhero suits--his undercover hipster look, two different blue jackets, up to three solid color shirts in white, blue, and gray, a pair of jeans and a pair of khakis. A detailed examination of what Steve wears could reveal which scenes follow one another. Ditto Natasha and her clothing. Bucky or Nick Fury? Not so much, lol.​

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    So I mean, are we actually spoiling anything by talking about who Winter Soldier actually is? Because that wasn't the big spoiler from Brubaker's run, at least in my eyes.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe. I initially thought "Winter Soldier" was referring to Captain America himself, but now thanks to all you people I know he's a villain [face_plain]

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    To mainstream audiences unfamiliar with the comics, it might be, kinda sorta.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

That's a problem?

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't read CA and saw the first movie once when it first came out and slept through most of it, but even I know who the winter soldier is. Good heavens sir.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I had a friend watch the trailer and he thought the same thing. Of course he also thought after the trailer that THE Winter Soldier was a girl.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is that strange? "The" isn't a masculine pronoun.

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    He saw the trailer and thought the guy who caught Captain America's shield was a girl. I had to spend 5 minutes convincing him otherwise.

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The preview that played before Thor 2 was pretty great.

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    And spoiled the whole Winter Soldier thing. If you didn't know who the Winter Soldier was before you do now.

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah. I was impressed that they masked him in the trailer. I expected the same when they started to show the arm. But I guess they've decided it's not a spoiler. Which I can sort of understand given the casting was never secret or anything.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't think the focus was ever on there being a mystery on who the Winter Soldier is. I don't see that being an effective tool of creating hype.

20. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think a large portion of the audience will currently be thinking the winter soldier somehow refers to captain america.

21. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm reading the comic now, although I realize that the film is not based off this...

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Black Widow has the magical ability to change her hairstyle. I hope this is addressed because it's very important.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  23. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Magical because women are normally unable to change their hair style over time?

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it comes down to "Cap vs his friend" being a more marketable angle than "Who is the Winter Soldier?" cone time for the final trailer and marketing push.

Penguinator and Draconarius like this.
  25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Unlike a JJ Abrams movie, there is a plot in the "Rebirth" comics arc beyond the mystery of who Winter Soldier is.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.