main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A Perspective on How Rumours Play Out

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AL, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I meant more the Skywalker/Solo story (as told through them or their heirs) as opposed to Luke or Han actually leading all 3 films.

Diggs likes this.
  2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Ah, I thought you meant Han's story would be more expanded than Luke's story. I figured Luke's story would still be important as Uncle Luke, but I think this shift sounds like a good move.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Arndt's answer to the Skywalker Saga? Make it the Solo Saga.

;)

4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think in order for all those possible scenarios we've discussed to play out... be it the new Jedi order, the prophecy of chosen one or even the potential for Darth Plageuis and or Palps, it has to be seen through the eyes of a Skywalker - be that Luke or his direct offspring.

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. I'm sure the Solo approach could have been fantastic, but I feel Star Wars needs a Skywalker driving it.

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Wouldn't one of Leia's kids be a Skywalker in all but name?

7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Technically yes, but I still think there's a difference. And Luke's (onscreen) relationship with the Sith is vastly different from Leia's.

Pro Scoundrel , T-R-, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  8. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    Star Wars OT Disney Edition: Alec Guinness now digitally replaced by Ewan McGregor!!

9. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    It's a blessing that Lucas casted Alec Guinnes in the role....a lesser actor... like Sebastien Shaw.....would had been easily replace throughout the OT.

Disney will never mess with Alec Guinness's legacy.

10. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I think that would be a step too far. That's it's almost less distracting to find a way (line of dialogue or something) to have him coming back in a more youthful mode. I think ageing Ewan might be more distracting than just having his appearance be younger. That said, it wasn't an issue when they recast Harris with Gambon in Potter so who knows?

11. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    This makes a lot of sense. I can see JJ wanting to push Luke up front and centre as opposed to the Solo clan which would feel very much like a prequel apology tour IMO.

T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  12. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Speak for yourself. I've never been able to see Gambon as Dumbledore. But I digress.

Thank you for this thread, AL. It does make me feel better knowing that J.J.'s approach has G.L.'s blessing, regardless of his level of involvement. I'm still not crazy about the notion of Luke having children if that's the case, but I can see both sides of the argument. It seems that some people here forget that Solo kids would be direct descendants of Anakin Skywalker as well, and personally I don't think it would be too difficult to contrive a reason for them to take the Skywalker name if it's that important. However I suppose there is something to be said for following a direct lineage of characters through each trilogy, but the notion of Luke having his own children at this point just seems to come out of nowhere, with nothing in previous films setting up that possibility. Although Luke as a central mentor figure, either to Leia's children or a new generation of Jedi makes a lot of sense to me, particularly when you consider that to rebuild the Jedi Order he would have to start taking small children from their homes and essentially raising them as his own. Would he then give them his name? Perhaps the first batch, especially if he changes the Jedi Order into more of a family structure than the previous incarnation allowed for.

StoneRiver likes this.
  13. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, there's 30 years for Luke to have met someone and had kids. It's pretty easily dealt with. It doesn't directly contradict anything we've seen film yet (Luke might well have a different approach to the force than the rigid code they followed in the PT).

14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah as I was just saying in that other thread where we were discussing this, I don't have any problem with that in theory. My only issue comes from the fact that having something like that happen offscreen between movies just goes against the method of storytelling that these movies have employed so far, which is the only reason why it rubs me the wrong way.

Bob Octa likes this.
  15. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not sure I agree fully with that ( a lot happens off screen between each of the movies), but I admit it would be something that would need to be dealt with (although I think that would be fairly easy - no more tricky than showing any couple/ family unit onscreen for the first time).

Pro Scoundrel and Dra--- like this.
  16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    A lot happens off screen between movies, but there's actually very little of any real significance that isn't a direct logical extrapolation of what has come before.

Bob Octa likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It's not as if Ep VII is likely to take place directly after ROTJ... the characters will have had a lifetime of experiences and relationships between the events of Episodes VI and VII. It's not a stretch to believe, in those intervening years, that a Republic has been restored and that Luke fell in love and had children etc. I wouldn't expect Luke, Leia and Han to have fundamentally changed their personalities/principles, but I would expect them to have lived a life and 'done stuff'. :)

18. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. I really don't see it as a stretch.

Pro Scoundrel , Dra--- and Ryus like this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't buy that argument. A lot of time also passes between Episode III and IV, and yet there is almost nothing of story relevance whatsoever that has occurred before Episode IV which doesn't logically follow suit from where Episode III left off. Lucas designed Episode III very carefully to be that way.

I'm not saying that major things can't happen or changes can't occur in peoples lives during that time. I'm saying that anything of major story importance should have at least had the seeds planted in the previous film so that it doesn't just come out of nowhere, simply because that's the way this story has been told so far. That's the difference between continuing a story and starting a new one, and presumably this is supposed to be the former situation.

That said, I suppose there is one glimmer of a seed planted in ROTJ for Luke to have children in Episode VII, and that would be Yoda's line, "pass on what you have learned." I guess I could maybe latch onto a rather literal interpretation of that if I had to.

Bob Octa likes this.
  20. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Well, now it's JJ's toy.

Episode III was designed carefully to be that way because he knew what Episodes 4-5-6 would bring to the story.

Episodes 7-8-9 are unknown territories.

Anyway, while great, the ending of Episode III is a bit of mess......an ending a la ROTK where they want to tie all the loose ends nicely.

Sometime...some things are better left untold...even though we know it happened. We don't need to be told everything in a postcards kind of way.

I prefer ROTJ ending.....where everything is possible......and 20-30 years later....we visit the characters again and they had a life of their own.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well having read the book (where the "ending" occurs halfway through), I never had a problem with ROTK's ending, especially given that it wasn't just the ending to a 3 hour movie, but a 9 hour epic... 12 if you're watching the EEs (and even longer if you factor in The Hobbit now). In that context the ending works just fine for me. As for ROTS's ending, it is a bit drawn out for where it takes place in the saga, but I can't think of a thing I would lose.

22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think you can compare the intervening years between III and IV and VI and VII... the main protagonists (Luke and Leia) are basically growing up - there's no story to be had until they come of age. We can assume fairly easily I think that there plenty of stuff going on directly after the events of ROTJ... I don't think we can expect that they've lived in a vacuum for circa 30 years. :)

Diggs, Dra--- and Ryus like this.
  23. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I agree but my point is that while major events are obviously likely to occur in the wake of ROTJ, we should be able to extrapolate from that movie what they would be, or at the very least they will have all made sense in the context of ROTJ once we get to Episode VII.

I can see I'm not going to get much support on this. I'm only saying how I'm reasonably certain Lucas would have done it were he writing these films himself, and I suppose slightly lamenting the diminishment of his perspective, which I feel I understand pretty well and have a great affinity for. But all in all I'm sure learn to accept it in the end. And if not then I can always just go back to being a I-VI purist with no skin off my back.

Bob Octa likes this.
  24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree 100%.

If there has been any marked change in direction, and if this change signals a shift from the Solos to the Skywalkers, then I'm on board with JJ, along with every one here who thinks this is the best route. Not only simply because of my love of Luke as a character (and I've dreamed since 1983 of having more films told through his perspective), but also because the story of I-VI has run from Anakin through Luke, and it makes sense to me to stay with Luke, and, now hopefully, through to his child(ren).

I don't mean to dismiss or disparage the Solos, as having Leia, Han and their children play a vital role is something I always imagined, too, but (and I know that other's mileage may vary) if it's a question of one or the other, with this particular storyline, hands-down (and by a very wide margin, indeed), it's Luke and his lineage which interests me the most.

That said, I certainly wouldn't balk at a stand-alone film (or even a new trilogy), with it's own storyline, and which offers us the Solo perspective. Maybe tie it in with the rumored Han Solo origin piece, somehow.

This has been my position from the very start. As I see it, the final missing piece of the saga, as presented thus far, is a story centered around Luke and an actual healthy relationship with his son. It would fulfill, I think, the final chapter of the tale in a very natural way, given the themes and storyline we've seen up to this point. It's very much the story I want to see.

That said, I've no doubt, even if Abrams and Kasdan have shifted the focus from the Solos back to the Skywalkers, that they understand just as well as anybody that Leia and Han are instrumental, invaluable pieces of the equation, and any children they have together would be just as important. They would certainly play vital roles in the story.

25. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    I love ROTK ending......but scenes like the birth of Luke & Leia, Vader's coming to life, Obi-Wan's leaving the babies to Owen....in a 10-minute span felt rushed.

I would not lose anything....but I would have done Episode 3 ending differently.

ROTJ's ending is perfect as it is.

Bob Octa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.