main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I did get a holiday to Venice out of AC2, was walking round San Marco Piazza and had the oddest sense of deja vu!

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Jedi Ben 13. What are your favorite SW novels and short stories?

14. What do you like and dislike about The Clone Wars?

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    13. What are your favorite SW novels and short stories?

It really boils down to sets of books by authors:

Zahn: TTT, HoT, SQ/OF, even A/CoO are fun reads if you don't expect a big 3 story.
    Stackpole: X-Wing 1-4, 8
    Luceno: TUF, CoD, LoE, DL, DP
    Reaves: DM:SH, Medstar, CN1-4, SG, DS
    Miller: KE, Kenobi
    Allston: X-Wing 5-7, 9, Mercy Kill
    Stover: Shatterpoint, ROTS, Mindor

For short stories the 5 Tales books are very hard to beat, but the recent Lost Tribe omnibus is a worthy addition. The 6 books do an excellent job of expanding the universe. It may be said that the stories are not needed, but this misses the point of an EU, which is to expand the story.

14. What do you like and dislike about The Clone Wars?

I love the idea of the Clone Wars being a dual purpose super-trap.

The assumption is that it's a trap for the Jedi, which it is - it's a way to whittle their numbers down, turn some to the dark side and then place the remainder in spread out, isolated positions for the final slaughter of Order 66.

But there's far more to it, as of the end of AOTC, it is not enough to simply have the galaxy convinced of the need to both have an army and use it in warfare, the galaxy, used to a millennium of peace, must reacquire a more militaristic outlook, it must view the state as superior to the individuals who pledge to serve it - and the Clone Wars are the mechanism by which this is done. So successful is it, that by the time of ROTS, when Sidious declares the Galactic Empire it is but practically a formality. The Empire has already existed for some time!

There's little I dislike although Ventress really should be dead. What I don't care for is the way the first set of material basically got steam-rollered for a re-do, sure you might be able to fix the chronology creatively but should you have to? I think not.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Jedi Ben I meant the series, not the conflict itself. We'll make your opinion on that question 14. b.

15. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be quite honest, there's little point asking me about the The Clone Wars series 2008-2013, I haven't watched it nor do I have any interest in doing so!

Zeta1127 likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Now just hold your otter-obsessed-horses a moment: Did you, at the very least, watch the original 2003-2005 run? Because if not, we're through, Jedi Ben. Through, I tell you. I will take all your comic-aficionado advice and toss it to the winds, since it would be clear to me you're nothing more than an uncultured fiend.

instantdeath likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    One need not watch something to have an opinion on it, or at least it's effect on SW canon. ;) [face_whistling]

But whatever, it's up to you whether you want to answer Q 14. b. or not. Or, as BC so pointedly stated, talk about the Genndy series instead. Otherwise feel free to skip to Q 15.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That one - I do happen to have....Very well, that'll be the answer for 14b.

(That the DVD was cheap and easily obtainable helped too.)

That particular series was short 'n' sweet, some found the Jedi to be ludicrously over-powered, for myself it's one of the times where my interest in continuity has its limits, namely I don't really care about trying to reconcile the cartoon with the comics. Where the series really interested me was in the economy of the story-telling. Remember, stories like Judge Dredd work in 6-page episodes, for stories like Charley's War it's 3 pages - you can do a lot with very little. These Clone Wars cartoons were the animation example of that.

Next Q15....

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The same goes for me and Umbara. Get on it, Ben.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, I guess I am uncultured, Coop. I don't care how good any of the stories are if TCW itself screws with the rest of the Clone Wars EU.

11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I have nothing but the highest respect for anyone who made it through all five seasons of TCW. (And the largest amount of sympathy humanely possible.)

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Coop, Barriss, it's entirely academic now, but whether threat or promise, it's a lousy one as the loss is yours! :)

And Coop? Do try reading the posts before replying dear fellow! ;)

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Bear in mind Zeta they're referring to something quite different than the infamous later Clone Wars cartoons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars_(2003_TV_series)

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Coop was referring to the Umbara arc from TCW, which is supposed to be good, and that is what I was commenting on. I actually like GTCW, my acronym for the old Clone Wars series. Though I don't think I really got to see GTCW beyond in passing until I found it on YouTube, and I would try and find it if it was still readily available. I am all too familiar with the differences between the two cartoons.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oho? Well since he neglected to give any context to render it meaningful, the term went right by me! :)

Zeta1127 likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Can't believe I've saying this, but Zeta's right.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The only reason I even know about what Coop was referring to with Umbara is, because I was on the TV forums for a time, before everyone who had a negative opinion of TCW was drove out of there.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sadly - or rather the opposite - there is more good stuff to experience in the world than anyone could manage in one lifetime, therefore we do have to choose some things over others!

Gamiel and CooperTFN like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You get points for being an adaptive interviewer! Q15 will be tomorrow though!

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Just leaving this here.

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Even i'm going to admit, as someone who didn't like the series, that the Umbara episodes are awesome. Krell and the clones are all portrayed wonderfully.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have a response to that, but I think I will save it for if I am ever interviewed.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You don't need to save it, we all know it already.

instantdeath likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeesh, I don't read the thread for a couple of days and we've almost finished another interview! Guess I've missed most of the fun, but I have two comments.

Will also second Coop re: Umbara. TCW's a bizarre show in that it had very high highs and very low lows... and pretty much nothing else. It was either awesome or it sucked. And Umbara was one of the times that it was awesome: it was the portrayal of war the way the show had been desperately trying to do and not quite succeeding in.

Well, the reason Brohood is my favorite AC game is the Eternal City. As someone who is in complete love with that city, seeing it rendered with historical fidelity is remarkable. From the accurate layout of the 3rd century Aurelian Walls -- which continued to be the largest extent of the city up until the capture in 1870 by the Italians -- to the fact that the ancient historic city center became a bunch of pastures and farms amidst hilly cliffs (lined with tufa!) and ruins.

But best of all was the Pantheon -- and not just that it was there, like most reviewers gushed about -- no, that it was there and done right. Not only did they get the sense of celestial majesty right (it's my favorite building in the world and I spent like an hour in there just soaking up the atmosphere... I'd have been there all day if my family hadn't gotten impatient), but it was historically accurate. Look at any picture of the Pantheon, and you'll see at the mid-level a series of false windows with ornamental pediments over them. Well, those ornamental pediments aren't original to the building: they were added in the 19th century by neoclassicists in an act of architectural vandalism, because those monumental fools were offended that the layout of the building didn't conform to neoclassical orders (despite it being a classical -- and therefore what they were trying to imitate -- building!). So if you go inside the Pantheon in AC:B, you won't see those little pediments.

It's a tiny, tiny little detail that most people playing don't even know about and would've never noticed. But the game designers got it right anyway. That's why AC:B is my favorite. Venice and Florence are nice, and Constantinople is neat, but AC:B was the height of their historical reconstructionism. It's the best, even beyond my love affair with Roma.

jSarek likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    15. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

Tempting as it would be to choke a fool or fry their arse with lightning, there really is only one to go for: Enhanced speed and reflexes!

I am a master at falling over, while 100% stone cold sober, on a perfectly flat surface, stairs? Ah, my old enemy! Well, not quite that bad and not as bad as escalators either. Hint: Falling down one, even a small one, ain't fun - got a colourful ankle from that one.

It is, all things considered, a pain in the arse, so yeah, not having to worry about this would be cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.