main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT That Old Man Anakin

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhinyLuke, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    So if he had never be in the dark side, would he have never aged? His aging is normal, that's why he turned into an old guy when he came back as one with the Force, minus all the scars, balding etc. which was caused by the Dark Side corruption.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The aging that Yoda and Obi-wan did was on their own, through the natural course of their lives. Anakin's aging was enhanced by the dark side twisting and consuming him. Had he not turned, he would have aged, but he would look 46 instead of 77. It is worth noting that Lucas had intended Palpatine's visage to be the result of the dark side twisting him, along with his being alive a long time. This is why his head looks like it does, why he has so many wrinkles and other aspects of the character. This extends to Anakin.

3. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    That certainly is a very plausible theory... and despite the fact that I dislike inserting Christensen into that scene, I have an easier time accepting it acknowledging this argument.

4. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    ...but, it's an after-the-fact theory/rationalization*.

*also known as, 'harmonization'

5. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    I would say that this entire board is full of "after-the-fact theory/rationalization" otherwise we'd all be camping out infront of GL's estate somewhere with lists of questions...

#1 Doesn't mean it's wrong.
    #2 Is that not what the boards are designed to engage in?

6. LordThanatos

LordThanatos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 18, 2013
    I much preferred Hayden in the end of ROTJ. A young Anakin representing the good that he was before he turned to the dark side, just makes sense to me. Although it would've worked for me with Shaw.. it was much more rewarding and satisfying seeing a young Anakin there after watching the prequels and seeing all what he went through. It was an Anakin you could relate to as opposed to Shaw.

Darth Raiden and Vialco like this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It really depend on the view.

Hayden makes more sense because there is no reason Anakin would look even older than Obi Wan, especially without the Dark Side effect he would not look that old. With the prequel we knew he was only 46 at that time.

Also the emotions of the 2 versions are different, the original version was more focused on Luke, with his father smiled on him to admire his success, the 2004 version was more focused on Anakin, who redeemed himself and was still feel bad about what he has done. The Shaw version has better interaction with Luke and the Hayden version showed Anakin's hero circle completed and returned to his best time.

I like the Hayden version better. But still, the ending would have been even better if they add Qui Gon's ghost.

Darkslayer and Darth Raiden like this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    As for Dooku, Mace Windu wanted to do pretty much the same thing against Palpatine, in the novel he even mentioned Anakin killing Dooku to let Anakin step away, why is it an issue? Does anyone think the Master of the Order is evil?

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Qui-gon wasn't as good as Obi-wan and Yoda had become. That's why he was only a voice to them and not a physical representation, unless they meditated in the Force and saw him that way. Or when they were asleep. Because of the time Yoda and Obi-wan spent, they were able to help Anakin out.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Also Luke didn't know who Qui-Gon was. That would not have made sense for Luke to see him.
    Fans sure, but Luke no.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, he only had a voice by the time he started to communicate with them, by the time of RotJ, he had a shape.

[​IMG]

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's why in the video he showed up after Luke turned away.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not according to Lucas. That's why he didn't have him in ROTJ in 04.

"We never see the ghost of Qui-Gon; he's not that accomplished. He's able to retain his personality, but he's not able to become a corporeal ghost."

--George Lucas, page 40 of the Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's because Liam Neeson was injured at that time, could not appear in RotS so it forced him to change the idea. He was originally going to appear as a Jedi Force ghost in RotS.

He redeveloped the technique and he could communicate with Obi Wan and Yoda 13 years after his death, it makes little sense he wasn't able to show himself by the time of RotJ.

But this thread is not about him, let's stop here.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Wrong. Liam Nesson was not injured during the making of ROTS. He was during AOTC and that was in 2001. This prevented him from flying out to the ranch to record dialogue, which was then done over the phone. Lucas and Burtt then opted to use "Anakin!" from TPM and used a "NOOO" from someone else. Neeson was healthy and back to work by 2003. He was filming "Batman Begins" in 2004. Lucas never intended for Qui-gon to be seen, regardless of his motorcycle accident. As Lucas said, Qui-gon didn't have enough practice at it, but he could teach the others. It is even stated in the script itself that he couldn't do it.

Qui-gon: "Patience. You will have time. I did not. When I became one with the Force I made a great discovery. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will. Your physical self will fade away, but you will still retain consciousness."

Neeson was to come in and record his lines, but that didn't happen.

16. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Well - it wouldn't have had much relevance since Luke never had any contact with QuiGonn - and if I remember my facts correctly, QuiGonn at the time of his demise had not mastered retaining his individuality after joining the force, so he was only capable of verbalization, not full visual manifestations...

17. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Exactly. They never had any direct contact, it would be Luke seeing a random jedi he's never met before and he'd just be like

Who the heck is that guy with the ponytail?

18. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    I got an even better idea... let's bring all the Jedi back.... Fisto, Secura, Unduli... all their Force ghosts start to reappear around Kenobi, Anakin, and Yoda... eventually filling the forest with Force ghosts of Jedi long deceased.... quick send that to GL for the 2014 re-edited version of ROTJ.

19. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Lol, no all the force ghosts come, and say: execute order 67. They start beating the heck out of anakin, and say: Take that jedi killer. Then vanish.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's why in the video, he showed up after Luke turned away.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Also, Qui Gon did show up on Mortis, so this contradict the theory that he didn't have a corporeal form.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Those who become ghosts are one with the Force and since Mortis was a place that could focus the Force in a way that it couldn't be elsewhere, that is why he was seen. And it is not a theory, it is from Lucas himself. That's why he approved of it in the Mortis episodes.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Double post.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So he did retain a body to be seen, he had more than a voice or personality. Since he was keeping communication with Obi Wan and Yoda over the years, there is no reason that he didn't learn the advanced skill from them.

Also this is Lucas' reason in 2008's interview.

25. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You using quotes from Lucas all the time makes me shake my head, because for every quote you bring up, there is some old quote by Lucas that will contradict it. Just remember Lucas said in 2005 that the SW saga was over, and the Saga is the 'Tragedy of Darth Vader' that is meant to be watched 1-6.

The last time I checked, Lucas is an advisor on the Sequel Trilogy..... [face_laugh]

So you might want to put away all your Lucas quotes.... ;)

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.