main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Here you go.

DigitalMessiah and Gorefiend like this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My obligatory "I really need to play the Assassin's Creed games past the first one" post.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd post a Homer "woo hoo!" video but I'm on a phone.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe it'll work better coming from someone else.

You really need to play the Assassin's Creed games past the first one.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Allow me to add an obligatory "I really need to finish Brotherhood after getting ten percent into it six months ago" post.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    You started Brotherhood and didn't finish it? Heathen.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My obligatory "I really need to play more games over all" post

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not out of disinterest--I'm a very important man.

Also, I'm the kind of person who has to stop and read the bios of every building I walk by and person I meet, which is awesome, but slows. Things. Down.

9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  10. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Book sales are significantly greater than I would've expected. Are comics counted under "other," I wonder?

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I did start ACII back when it first came out, and remember thinking it was an incredible improvement over the original (and I really enjoyed the original), but it was one of those things I lost track of. Now that IV is out I'll probably play them all. Are any of the handhelds worth anything?

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That graph is a nice thing to keep in mind, but I would note that a big part of that toy number is margin, as opposed to the sheer reach of the product.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Liberation's supposed to be great, but it's coming out next Jan in an HD remake for PC, 360, and PS3 so I'd just wait for that. I'm more interested in that one than AC4, personally.

14. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    As a historian of the American Revolution, ACIII was not anywhere near as interesting as it could have been.

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    It never ceases to amaze me how, in comparison to previous games, it was missing so many historical figures.

16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

That bit didn't bother me so much. We did get some pretty obscure figures - William Johnson, Benjamin Tallmadge, Dr. Benjamin Rush. I thought Franklin was an interesting addition to the world. My complaint is that the Iroquois occupy a fascinating middle ground in the Revolution, where an alliance with the British offers a better chance at preserving their liberties. Instead, the game has William Johnson take an unnecessary heel turn and dodges over the most interest years of the war.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Isn't a fairly common complaint of the Assassin's Creed games that your protagonist almost seems to have a checklist of historical figures to run into? I can't say that's the type of thing that I mind; I've never been a stickler for realism, particularly in video games, and I don't have a problem with using the setting you're working with.

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I can't say I've ever heard that particular complaint: it's the high point of the series, for me.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Could just be people who hate fun and actively look for things to complain about. The internet is full of them.

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Unless he is running in to Christopher Walker[face_skull] I am not interested

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

See: r/totalwar.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    You get to play fisticuffs with Alexander VI. It's quite respectful.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Everyone needs to play all the AC games. Now.

ACIII was best classified as a missed opportunity. It's still underrated -- it's got great gameplay, and the complaints over Connor's character are misguided. Most of the whining done about it is off-base. But the story was lacking -- it skipped around too much, and just didn't make the most of its setting, the way previous games did. The Revolution is such an insanely rich setting, and ACIII just kind of skimmed the top of it. What it really needed was about three more sequences -- Saratoga, something actually handling Connor's friendship with Washington and Lafayette (work in Trenton?), and another sequence set in New York (really, that fire/Nathan Hale idea should have happened). Maybe even something else late-war -- and some beefed-up sidequests (missions in the Frontier for his tribe would have been a good way of working them more thoroughly into the story). That would have gone a long way to solving most of the missed-opportunity problems.

Gorefiend and TheRedBlade like this.
  24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would if the only copy of the original Assassin's Creed available to me hadn't been commandeered before I had even gotten close to finishing it and my brother is the only one I know with any of the other games.

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Escalation towards the climax would have helped, instead of a winding an needlessly bloody cutscene.

The "Vhat a tvist!" bit with the daddy is brilliant - unfortunately it remains the game's high point.

Haven't played the inter II -- III ones yet. Look forward to it, especially after being disappointed that we only got a piecemeal Vatican for II.