main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT New Release of the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lego Thrawn, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2013

I hope it will... I don't want to pay that much, since I have no use for the BD discs. I'm a DVD-only guy. I switched format when DVD replaced VHS, I'm not about to switch again.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a PS3 with me at college, so I've been taking advantage of its blu-ray capabilities.

3. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Remember that it's not just the ability to read and transmit the media, but also having a tv or monitor with the capabilities of displaying that level of detail and quality...

4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Pfft I care not about such things.

5. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I purchased the entire 9 disc set (I-VI) for $69.99 (USD) at Best Buy.

6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I alradey have the Blu-Ray set from 2011, the most perfect set.

7. Nighthawkaba14

Nighthawkaba14 Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    I agree that the Blu-Ray set with the awesome artwork and bonus discs are the best releases of Star Wars to date. Not necessarily the best versions of the films, but quality wise the picture and sound are stunning, but no amount of shinny remastering can fix Greedo shooting first!

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Blu Ray >>> DVD

So much better :)

9. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, besides making the prequels, Lucas had the gall to disfigure the originals as well.

Horrible.

10. Number_5

Number_5 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2013

Lol! What about the dozens of people who so caringly worked their butts off with no time, not enough money, etc, inventing new special effects technology in order to give us the original trilogy in the first place? Those same people that Lucas so carelessly insulted and brushed aside by replacing all their work with CGI because their efforts apparently weren't good enough. These people were pioneers as much as Lucas, but hey, we have computers now, so screw em. We'll lock away their hard work and hopefully it is never seen again.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Most of the miniature and model work in the OT still exists in the Blu-Ray cut. If Lucas had really intended to stab those who helped him in the back, he'd have gone extreme, like replacing every character in Jabba's palace with CGI instead of just a few.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Lucas didn't make as many changes for the Blu-Ray editions as he did the earlier ones. The only one that connects to the PT is Vader's "NOOOO!" in ROTJ, when he saves Luke. Everything else that was done to the OT, was mere cosmetic changes that he wanted to change for whatever reason. The exact number of changes is very, very small compared to the earlier ones.

Indeed. The only old effects Lucas removed was two of the aliens in the cantina, the old woman with monkey eyes that was Palpatine, the shoddy take off from Docking Bay 94, the barely visible taking off from the Grand Temple, the approach to the Death Star as it was and the original Sy Snootles puppet. Everything else was the same, only given more texture. Hell, people complained about not fixing the Lightsabers to match the PT, but Lucas left them as is, only adding in more rotoscoping for a couple of shots in ANH. Some of the original effects team, like Dennis Murren, worked on the SE's.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. Number_5

Jan 25, 2013

Removed and changed carry equal wait methinks. Don't forget certain shots of the dogfight in the death star run, taking off from Yavin (sure, original was bad here), the cloud cars, the explosions.

Although I'm beginning to see that yes, most were left alone.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ah look we have another person who just emerged from carbonite

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Insulted an brushed away? So he replaced the stop motion AT-AT's? He replaced puppet Yoda? He replaced 90% of the cantina aliens in ANH? He replaced all the ewoks with CGI?
    Until I see all of that happening, there's no "insulting" or "brushing away" of any kind going on.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Iron_lord like this.
  16. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    I think people don't realise that the whole reason why these sets became available is due to loss of finances after the backlash of the 2011 Blu-Ray box sets and mass clearance of already burned (but not printed) disc manufacturing from the late Summer of 2011. Inadequate changes once again and people were still clammering (not the hardcore modern fans - but nostalgists of what started this franchise and ended it in 1983 to some) for those original cuts.

Fox were losing money on them thanks to the new changes - MASSIVE backlash on the Fox/LFL partnership, further financial loss for both, the hardcore complaints from countless fans and one other reason why George sold up - the hate machine got thicker with the 2011 editions.

No more cash until the Mouse and Fox delivers a full 4k transfer of the OOT.

17. Number_5

Jan 25, 2013

Do you have a source for all this backlash and money lost from the 2011 set? I admit, it's music to my ears (or eyes, I guess).

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

They were. The stuff that Lucas altered was stuff that the ILM staff back in the day said was the limit of what they could do. The few items that he outright replaced were shots that were passable, but with the budget and deadline, had to stand as is. When he changed those shots, he was keeping the basic principles in tact. The stuff that was added like Mos Eisely and the open viewports in Cloud City, those weren't alterations to the existing effects shots. Mos Eisely was mostly made up of blank space in the background, with some buildings in the foreground. Cloud City was realized by the production designer, set designer and the carpenters who built everything physically. The ILM team of the 1990's made those changes. The original team had nothing to do with them.

The fact is that every two years or so, a product has to be repacked in order to keep it on shelves and keep it competitive with other DVD/Blu-Ray sets. This is why we see different packaging and addition of material not included earlier. Not to mention newer technology to view these with. Take the Paramount "Friday The 13th" films, one of the best examples of repackaging. The original DVD's were released between 1999 and 2002. They were they were then repackaged in a box set, in time for the release of "Freddy Vs Jason". The first two films were re-released again in 07 and 08, as part of two different Paramount gimmick releases. The first one was disc one of the 03 set and the second release was the original releases, individually. Then in 09, a new set was released with all kinds of bonus material that was not included earlier, in time for the remake film. Now they're on Blu-Ray, so that's another release.

If the home video market had been what it was in the 90's, back in the early 80's, you'd see multiple releases of the OT with different packaging. Individually, a two film box set and then a three film box set.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Number_5

Jan 25, 2013

So...no.

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    darth-sinister Actually, I've read that an unspecified number of the original special effects team returned to work on at least the '97 SE's.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've been hearing conflicting reports, but are we actually getting 3D re-releases or not?

22. Number_5

Jan 25, 2013

I think we were--but now we're not. It's been what, like, 3 years since Episode I 3D?

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    In February it'll be two years.

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but as I understand it, AOTC in 3-D was completed (wasn't it actually screened somewhere?), and possibly ROTS. Can't imagine they wouldn't see the light of day eventually.
    No idea if any work was done on the OT, though.

I'm not a big fan of 3-D anyway, so not holding my breath either way.

25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I heard that they'd screened what they'd already completed, which wasn't the entire film, at a convention last year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.