main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didnt Obi Wan(BEN KENOBI) Keep Luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alessandro Sanfilippo, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tylaron Starturner

Tylaron Starturner Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2013
    I believe that during this time, the empire was law. Jedi were thought of as evil (Rebels may change that).

The empire was actively hunting down and killing any remaining Jedi they could find.

Why would Obi-wan risk Luke's life by keeping Luke with him?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That eventually got an explanation (and not "the speed of light is vastly faster in the SW galaxy") - specifically - the Falcon has a backup hyperdrive - albeit an incomplete one that requires parts from the main hyperdrive - since Han doesn't have enough bits to go round.

That's why he only turned to cannibalizing the main one to fix the backup - when he was certain the main one itself couldn't be fixed with the tools he had.

timmoishere likes this.
  3. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    That may be so, but in a movie whose Falcon story revolves around damaged hyperdrive and the Empire that chases them, bringing another hyperdrive explanation (not seen in the movie) seems rather far-fetched.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True. My guess is that the explanation was primarily because people didn't want to go with something more radical- like a vastly higher Speed Of Light.

It was codified in its most recent form, in Millennium Falcon Owners Workshop Manual.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Well since there's no other way for a ship to travel interstellar distances without a hyperdrive, the backup hyperdrive explanation is the only one that makes sense.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It should be noted that in the older Star Wars Marvel comics- we actually do see them pass through several systems, before "cutting to hyperspace"

New Planets, New Perils (October 1977)

Han: "Get a smuggling czar on your tail, ol' buddy, and even a galactic war won't save you! As soon as the craters cooled, Jabba'd have us both zapped by one of his blaster-happy bongos!"
    Chewie: "Urk!"
    Han: "Yeah, I thought you'd see it my way. So set 'em for Tatooine … Next stop, Mos Eisley spaceport … though we've a few more light-years to go before we even cut to hyper-space!"

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I could not care less what you think of me. I'm not here to justify myself to you.

8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's because it's not a true part of the story. Empire tells us a very clear story, the Falcon is stranded because they don't have a working hyperdrive. It's a point driven home over and over. Star Wars is not hard Sci Fi, it doesn't need to be accurate scientifically, that isn't the point.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yes, the backup hyperdrive is a true part of the story. Your denying it doesn't make it untrue.

Star Wars may not be hard sci-fi, but it still follows an internal logic of its own. And that logic says that without a working hyperdrive of some sort, a ship cannot travel interstellar distances in the time shown in the movie. That's why the backup hyperdrive is the only explanation that makes sense.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    This thread's done. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.