main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yep and it is the Literature Forum in general :) just a lot more SW Fiction Lit out there than RL books.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If there isn't an existing thread on it you should be OK starting one. I know there's a thread on the 'making of' books in general but I didn't see one in the search results specifically for Jedi. If the forum mods know otherwise they would probably merge your thread with an existing thread.

3. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    Saboteur is a good read, it shows more of Palpatine's behind the scenes manipulation and the how he slowly and surely destabilized the galaxy.

A Practical Man is one of Traviss's better books, shows more of Nom Anor's scheming, and his preparation for the Vong Invasion. It also has more Goran Beviin, which is awesome.

I have not read The Hive

4. Ordo N-11

Sep 28, 2013
    I enjoyed Allegiance but thought that while it was good, it wasn't as good as most of Zahn's other books. But yes, Choices of One is much, much better.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Even Nom Anor is way better in other stuff and the rest was just o_O out there

6. Ordo N-11

Sep 28, 2013

True, Nom Anor is better in some books,but still, he was pretty good. I personally enjoyed how Traviss showed that 10+ years in the galaxy had slowly begun to erode his faith in the Vong gods and leadership.

7. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I'm almost finished with Rebel Stand, and boy, this duology (Enemy Lines) is great. Alston is doing a great job, every character have something important to do (even the droids in one point), something that was lacking in previous books. I hope further books of the NJO keeps that quality level.
    Also, both Jaina and Kyp are, finally, no longer annoying the hell out of me. They're back to being likeable characters again.

JackG, Gorefiend and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Question, one of my favorite SW pics is the Han and Chewie get arrested pic. Does anyone know who did this painting? If so, is there any more pics from this artist?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Are you talking about this one?
    [​IMG]

It's by Chris Trevas and it's from the Essential Atlas. Trevas has done a lot of great artwork in the past few years, mostly in the Essential Guides, like the Atlas, Warfare, and the Reader's Companion.

timmoishere likes this.
  10. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Yes thats it!

11. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008

I took a look at his website and there's a ton of cool SW pictures on there! But this one in particular didn't show up. But thanks for the info!

12. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    100 pagens into Traitor. You can't go wrong with Stover :)

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Part of the Falcon's wall, I guess.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Emergency light or alarm fixture? Just a guess..

15. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Master Agoraphobia

[​IMG]

Trolling. These books are the Star Wars equivalent to the Shadowlands in Lion King, you must never read them.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

They're not.

18. Master Corran Horn

Master Corran Horn Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    Instead of Reading the books, I listened to the Audiobook versions...and listened to them in Chronological Order, This was 4 years ago. Some of them were good, and some weren't. This is mostly because almost all of them were abridged, meaning they were between 4-7 hours long instead of 10-12 hours. This meant that there were a lot of elements that I probably missed, especially when reading the NJO, and the LotF. I was glad when FotJ, and all subsequent Audiobook releases were unabridged, which all most all of them done by Marc Thompson. Now if they would go back and re-record NJO unabridged, then I would be happy.

19. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    I'm about to finish Heir to the Empire which I must say is a fantastic book!
    I have read some books here and there. But I actually want to read a series through the way it was intended. I need some help on starting points?

I would really like to start reading more on Palpatine/Sidious. But also am very interested in after ROTG. Any suggestions?

20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm blanking out. What does ROTG stand for? I am an EU fanatic and have read tons of the books.
    I haven't read it myself, but I've heard that Darth Plageuis is a good read, if you are interested in Palpatine.
    If you've read Heir to the Empire, then next you should read Dark Force Rising and then Last Command. Both of those are really good reads and I've read the whole series twice. I think I am due to read it again.

Master Fisto likes this.
  21. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    I didn't mean to type ROTG. I meant ROTJ, Return of the Jedi... typo! Lol.
    I think I am going with Dark Force Rising next. From what I hear its also a great read.

22. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Definitely, all of Zahn's books are excellent :)

23. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Does anyone have recommendations for good Leia-centric books? The only ones I've read that could be considered Leia-centric are Tatooine Ghost and Razor's Edge.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Callista Trilogy (in particular, Children of the Jedi, and Planet of Twilight) seem to focus on Leia's character arc. She even gets a "Dark Cave" style confrontation with herself in Planet of Twilight. Two selves, in fact.

The Crystal Star focuses heavily on Leia's quest to rescue her children.

The Black Fleet Crisis focuses on the issue of what Leia's to do about wars taking place outside the Republic's borders.

And so forth. Admittedly a lot of fans dislike these- but I found much of interest in them.

Captive of Evil, a younger-age book, is basically Leia's diary during the events of A New Hope. Is interesting to see all those events from her point of view.

25. Surfcaster

Surfcaster Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2013
    Just posting to say I just finished the Dark Lord Trilogy and really enjoyed it! Just started Cloak of Deception!