main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Crusader Kings II/III

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    And there will be a bigger, ToG-sized DLC after that.

I'm so glad we're getting expanded heresies. An Ibadi caliphate and a Cathar Pope sound awesome.

Ulicus likes this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    How I imagined you saying that:

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    You imagined correctly.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've played Europa Universalis 3 and 4 and love those games. I've not played any other Paradox Interactive games and so recently downloaded demos for some of their other titles, including CK2 and Victoria 2. Either I've just gotten so used to Europa's learning curve (which was steep as is), or CK2 and Victoria (especially Victoria) are even more complicated. Played through all the tutorials and still feel clueless when I try to begin a single player game.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Victoria is insanely hard to grasp. CK 2 is actually pretty easy though after you have clocked some 3-4 hours, or just watch a good let's play that explains the game.

This one was pretty good from what I recall.

TaradosGon likes this.
  8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Been strongly considering picking this game up when I have the chance but I'm a bit hesitant because I've heard it has a large learning curve and I've never played a grand strategy game before (unless you count Total War games, and I don't). I was wondering if it might be better for me to start with something simpler, and if so, what? Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Crusader Kings II is more or less the simplest game Paradox has put out, and definitely the most entertaining. There's no other strategy game quite like it, and the learning curve isn't really that bad.

10. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    So just suck it up and buy it, then?:p

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Protip: ignore the tutorial altogether, it's less than helpful. A good place to start is as a count in Ireland on the 1066 start (it's often referred to as Tutorial Island), though if you have The Old Gods then Ivar the Boneless of Sudreyjar has an insanely easy start, and can control half of Britannia within 25 years if played right. Don't start off as a full-on king or emperor, your vassals will eat you alive.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I found Halfdan Whiteshirt to be easier than Ivar for controlling England

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Fair enough. The key with Ivar is to occupy as much of Northumbria as possible while also taking Kent or whatever that petty kingdom in the south is, take ambition "become king of Scotland" to get some CBs against Malcolm of Scotland, and meanwhile conquer Ireland county by county through subjugation CBs. It's been a month or two since I did a Sudreyjar game, so I might be misremembering which ambition to take.

Pagans are pretty broken in vanilla on the 867 start. CKII+ and its continuations massively nerfed them.

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  17. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    So I still haven't bought it (bought Civ IV Complete Edition instead because it was cheaper and could be found offline), but I did download the demo and spent more or less the entire weekend playing it (seriously! A demo! Crazy!). So far it hasn't been that bad; most of it is fairly intuitive if you pay attention to the directions at the beginning, and it helped that I've seen some LPs. There are a few areas where I'm still confused, mostly having to do with technology and religion. I don't understand how they work much at all; especially technology. And since I've only played Bohemia and Poland demos so far I haven't tried out the navy yet, but I imagine that won't be too different from land armies.

Anyway it'll be a bit before I get it since I did just spend $20 on Civ and that's a whole lot of gameplay right there anyway (having a lot of fun in that as well, and I haven't even started playing the expansions yet). But I'll definitely have to get this soon no matter what. Also thinking about EUIV/Victoria II/HoI III sometime later, both for their own sake and to do a mega campaign.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    As if marriage alliances weren't ridiculously unstable and short-lived enough already. :p

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    That's a big one, particularly on Crusades. I can't do my D-day invasions :(

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The biggest is the fact that non-theocratic rulers can no longer create archbishops, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Oh, but this is sweet:

- If there has only been a single ruler by a certain first name, the regnal number is no longer shown

Woohoo!
    Ah, and I see that they've given Anglo-Saxon England feudal elective. Nice.

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    My favorite highlights:

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Second Video Diary

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The expansion isn't out just yet... but here's the SoA manual.