main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOB: Save Our Ben, Ben Skywalker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THE EVIL CLIFFIE, Oct 4, 2013.

1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    What happened on Mimban, stays on Mimban.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    but what really happen on Mimban ? ;)

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Vestara killed 25,000 innocent people.

4. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    what the hell for?

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Does it matter?

6. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    i mean she is a sith but from what i read she wasn't exactly your typical sith.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but you're assuming a level of thought that doesn't seem to be in evidence.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    She killed them because her bosses wanted to buy Lando Calrissian's business, and he wouldn't sell it, so she started sabotaging parts of his business, at one point bringing down an orbital drill to kill 25,000 people, and remove Han Solo's left eye. Why the Qreph brothers assumed said sabotage would make Lando want to sell, I do not know.

I wish I was lying about that. I'm not.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Crucible was all time horrible novel. What a bad way to send off the big three. It should have been more like Vecter Prime where they were glorified for all their sacrifices for the galaxy. Instead they were punished

10. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    Han's missing an Eye? jeez.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Not anymore, he got a replacement. He said its sees better than his old one.

12. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    But it is true. Ben doe snot have any friends, not like Jacen, Jaina, and even Anakin had. Ben did not get a young glory year period where he got to have fun and go on adventures. He did not have a childhood.

14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    It really is sad. It's because of the stupid five-year jump from NJO to DNT, and again from DNT to LOTF. Why was that necessary...at all? Those were the prime years to be using Jacen and Jaina and they wasted ten of them! Ten!

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah and now everything we hold dear is being thrown out. They are not using the eu at all. They are starting from scratch. What a waste!! Ben, Jaina, Jacen will not exist in the new st.

16. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Isn't there another thread we hyperventilate about the ST in?

Anyways, my two creds on this: Ben's character does indeed suffer from a lack of people his own age to interact with, but that's just symptomatic of a bigger issue: they don't write stories like YJK anymore because developing character isn't one of their goals anymore. Why should they, when the already-developed Big Three and sometimes Jaina do so much of the heavy lifting? It's been said plenty of times before, but it bears repeating: the post-NJO EU was written hastily and hyper-conservatively, cashing in on the characters and story archetypes that had been proven to work and put onto the market as quickly as possible. Things like character development or even original characters are sacrificed for the sake of the story, which it seems to me is a choice writers only make for terrible stories. That's no coincidence, of course; what good story elevates plot to the point where character means literally nothing? As things stand, Ben's even being alive still is something we probably owe to the Legacy comics. Giving him an interesting character, though, that's a bridge too far.

V-2 likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    his character was very interesting in novels like Backlash. They just need to keep with his investigative background.

JediFan215 and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    I kinda wanna do a story where there is a third Galactic Civil War and the Sith are finally at a point where they can be a very real threat to the galaxy and Ben and Vestara have one final confrontation where he pleads for her to return to the light and they either duel in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant or on Korriban where the sith have established a New Sith Temple of sorts.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Bump. Ben deserves some attention. Poor kid was neglected by his parents, aunt and uncle, cousins, and even the Jedi Temple kids his age! We can't abandon him too. :p

Given the Essential Characters was cancelled, I guess we'll never see Ben drawn in EGTC form. :(

JediFan215 likes this.
  20. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Do we even know if we're ever going to see Ben again? Isn't the EU on some kind of hold until Episode VII comes out?

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    It seems to be on hold for the time being, but that doesn't mean they won't continue to release it as AU material after VII is released. Of course, post-VII EU will probably be ST continuity, though.

22. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Ben is my favorite EU character that is surviving as of Crucible. Shame that we won't get to see his story's conclusion

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I love Ben's character. Too bad the EU most likely won't be happening, I would've loved to have seen his relationship with Allana.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I forgot how much I loved this thread title.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeeeeeeah. *facepalm* :oops:[face_blush]:p[face_laugh]