main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I am curious about that old Troop Transport that got hit by the Galaxy Gun. That thing looked big.

Also, it said that it needed a half hour to enter hyperspace because of its age - given that even KOTOR era craft seem to be able to enter hyperspace on short notice, I have to wonder: how old is it exactly?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the steampunk look of the Robida Colossus.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It might be really old compared to KOTOR or its hyperdrive has never been changed and it's difficult to replace, so they're using it until it finally breaks down. They were sending the troops and armor to a remote battle on the edge of the galactic disk, I assume they didn't have the best gear.

4. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Very apt to bring this ship up with the somewhat similar tumblehome-hulled Zumwalt being launched soon.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    LOL, I was just thinking of posting the same thing. Speaking of the Zumwalt, take a look at these awesome shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is one lovely beast. And she is coming in UNDER budget and on time. A rare thing in shipbuilding these days. I hear that the US Navy is impressed and may consider using the hull for additional new destroyers, but with an anti-air/BMD focus. I wish the USN would reclassify her as a cruiser, cause she sure fits the size, plus she has some wicked guns to boot!

--Adm. Nick

6. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

Again, I wonder if that came out of the Tapani Sector - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pelagia_Star

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    Did you mean meters and not kilometers? LOL

8. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    interesting comparison on Tapani-class, hower acc to WP this class has a "tower raised above the docking deck at the aft of the vessel that housed service bays", whereas Vindicator seems to have a structure to the side of the docking deck. If it is this class, it must be a modified example.

Pelagia does have some similarities to Vindicator in design, and I can see them being from same manufacturer. I like the idea they are both Tapani designs, perhaps related to Tapani-class, though I don't think the same. For one thing, Pelagia carries far more passengers than Tapani-class. However, I don't think Pelagia is intended to be identical to Pelagia Star.

BTW, going off a 1.7m height of an individual represented by an action figure, I'm thinking the AST-5 armored sentinel transport must be somewhere between 2.2m and 2.6m. Unless I'm wrong, this makes it the smallest-known manned space vehicle in Star Wars, right (discounting escape pods and droid "vehicles")? Smaller even than the Poranji Orbital Jumper.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes- sorry about that.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow. Good memory there, I would have never got that connection.

What about those space use speeder bikes we see in the KOTOR comics?

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How many explorer and pioneer/settler ships have we seen?

12. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    That actually hit me well after reading Empire's End; some years back I was looking into Tapani Sector background material for a fanfic, came across the entry for the Pelagia Star/Pelagia's Moon; and made the connection back to the ancient, gigantic troopship from EE. If not the same ship, it's possible Pelagia was of the same make.

As far as the Vindicator/Tapani carrier connection, I though about the placement of the superstructure. The description does state it's at the aft of the vessel; Vindicator's "island" is on the portside but is located aft of midships according to the depiction. It may be possible to reconcile the descriptions, or say Vindicator is a modified variant (perhaps reconfigured with a larger internal hangar to support New Republic fighters). If nothing else, I'm trying to think of what other major starship manufacturer would have such a bizarre design; for the Tapani it makes sense because their Manta-class fighters are designed to link up to docking ports.

jSarek likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Would Outbound Flight count as a colony ship? Though that was a pretty unusual concept, with the central core and six Dreadnaughts attached to it.

15. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I suppose one could call it a colony fleet more than a ship in this case. It may have been one construct, but each of those Dread's was fully capable of operating independently.

Force Smuggler and Zeta1127 like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any clipper 'ships? And if not, how do you think they would look like?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Clipper as in looks, or as in role?

The Millennium Falcon, despite looking to outsiders such as Luke, like "a piece of junk", may be similar in role- superfast transport.

The Imperial military tends to monopolise fast hyperdrives- so it's only the smugglers that achieve comparable speeds to warships.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The way I was thinking was: We already have some spaceships named after sea ships, why not clipper

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't think of any transports or light freighters called "clippers" in-universe, but it would be an interesting idea, for the designers to name some that.

20. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
  21. madmanslitany

madmanslitany Jedi Master

Aug 17, 2006
    A random thought I had, triggered by something I read in this thread a few pages back. Jason Fry mentioned in his EaW end notes that he originally wanted the Republic-class Star Destroyer and MC80B Star Cruiser to be retconned into one ship, but the idea was dropped. Still, a few New Republic capital ship designs post-Endor have been lumped together with the New-class and Defender program ships as part of the New Republic's standardization and modernization drive.

Do you think it would make sense for the Dauntless-class Heavy Cruiser from Rebellion to be explained as being SoroSuub's bid for the same request for proposal/mission profile that spawned the MC80B and Republic-class Star Destroyer? The only named Dauntless-class Heavy Cruiser appeared in a New Republic era comic, and if we interpret Rebellion's research timelines as extending into the early New Republic era, I think it fits, as the Dauntless has roughly the same combat capability as a Republic or MC80B.

Alternatively, since they're both SoroSuub products, the Dauntless and Liberator-class cruisers could have been SoroSuub's attempt to grab the Defender program contract, with the Dauntless and Liberator mirroring what became the Defender/Nebula-class Star Destroyer and the rarely seen Defender-class Assault Carrier.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The Dauntless started as a civilian liner design, and besides the much smaller Liberator Cruiser, may have been Sorosuub's attempt to get some market share in the NR- by following the tactics of the Mon Cals and refitting a civilian ship.

The Liberator cruiser in my opinion is merely an update of the Liberator Troopship from the Clone wars- a competitor to the Acclamator, with the Liberator Cruiser being analogous to the Acclamator II- troop capacity pulled out for heavier guns and fighter capacity.

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: RepStar and MC80B cruiser being the same, that was originally proposed by Thrawn McEwok (Paul Urquart), but rejected by Jason. I loved the retcon that made the RepStar a Mon Cal design, but I am happy they left the MC80B alone. That particular class of Star Cruiser is one of my favorites and it has a very unique, streamlined hull form.

As Wes points out above, the Dauntless-class is simply a retrofitted civilian vessel, ala the early MC80's. From that perspective, I find the vessel rather unremarkable. The Liberator-class cruiser, on the other hand, is of incredible interest to me. While game stats from Rebellion are not perfect, it is clear that this cruiser/carrier hybrid is a smaller hull that is both tough AND packs a large number of fighters. It also appears to be a true military design from SoroSuub, which makes it all the more interesting. In my mind, these cruisers were probably an early addition to the NRDF, either as a class of ships built specifically for the new government or as donations to it from the existing Sullustan Home Guard.

--Adm. Nick

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see some comic ships updated to the modern, Fractalsponge-ish style. Not necessarily by Fractalsponge (he's probably too busy already with other stuff) - but the style is a good one.

Republic class Star Destroyer springs to mind. The most recent version of it is in the Invasion comics- but it would be nice to see a clearer one.

Perhaps some of the Marvel battlecruisers - pick the best-looking one and make it be an example of the 4km Praetor class, maybe.

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It would be nice to see the entire range of ships from Rebellion get modern renderings, or at least new art and references. Bulwark and Dauntless are starting to show up more, but what about the CC series, the Liberator, and the Rebellion version of the Assaut Transport?