main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clone wars Book versus Television question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DoubleGold, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleGold

DoubleGold Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    So a quick question. If I watch all 5 seasons of the clone wars, which books will it have covered? All of them, none of them? If there are specific ones in each thing, like 1 from clone wars gambit, 1 from clone wars series and 2 from republic commando, I need to know which ones. I want to get through all of the clone wars, but it takes me a while to read the books, so I thought the television show would be the easy way out so I can read only half or none of the clone wars books and still know everything that went on.

2. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The shows covers nothing from the books or the comics. They are completely separate.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Actually -- there was one comic. The arc Slaves of the Republic was adapted. If you can ignore the fact the Zygerrians turned into cats.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wild Space has a reference to Anakin losing R2 in the first season. That and the Slaves comics are all I can think of.

5. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    Okay, but how similar are season 1 and wild space? Is there a replacement droid that works for grievous in wild space? And how much would I miss out on skipping that one book, just using season 1 instead?
    Also, I said I want to know all of clone wars but I don't read comics. I don't like e-books either, so I'm glad there are no clone wars e-books only.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh, you can skip Wild Space, unless you're interested in The Adventures of Obi-Wan and Bail, a couple of training scenes in which Anakin is an absolute jackass to Ahsoka, and a couple of good A/P romance scenes. Oh, and a Palpatine who is both deliciously evil and humorous.

I liked the book, but a lot of people didn't, and it's not at all necessary to the show.

Iron_lord and Sable_Hart like this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Given it's disjointed story telling most of the show is not necessary to the show. ;)

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    True, but the OP was asking about the books. :p

9. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    Okay, I know I might regret asking for the spoiler, and I'll probably find out in 2 months anyway which is about how long it would take me to read 9 clone wars books, but what happens to Ahsoka in the books, now that I know she is also in the book series? Something has to happen to her, whether she dies or leaves the Jedi council or something before Episode 3 begins.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, nothing happens to her in the books, not as far as a "final fate", and I don't think anything does in the comics either.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The Clone Wars series and its novel spinoffs were pretty separated--I don't know of any situations where one deliberately advanced plot threads from the other. To say nothing of the myriad Clone Wars stories that pre-date the TV show and tell a completely unrelated version of the war.

Short answer--it's all far less coordinated than you'd like to think, and there are a lot of plots that were left unresolved by the end of the show, and even more unresolved inconsistencies between the show and the books.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Ashoka's story in the clone wars era has been (seemingly) resolved, but that's in the television show. If we see her again in the future, it'll likely be on television again, but not in Clone Wars.

Until that day, we probably won't see her much in book/comic form since her fate is still somewhat up in the air.

13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    There is a novelization and a young adult adaptation of the 2008 Clone Wars movie by Karen Traviss and Tracey West, respectively. There is also a series of five YA books that adapt random episodes of the show: Grievous Attacks!, Bounty Hunter: Boba Fett, Defenders of the Republic, Warriors of the Deep, and Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy. Other than that (and the Slaves of the Republic comic mentioned above), all the TV episodes, novels, and comics tell original and independent stories.

If all you care about is the version of the wars presented in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, you can just watch the movie and the five seasons of that show and you won't miss anything. If you want to get all the best Clone Wars stories, though, you'll have to read these novels

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and these comics

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

and maybe watch the original (and much better) Clone Wars cartoon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then if any of those stories pique your interest, there are a lot, lot more to choose from.

14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Catharine Just laid out the Clone Wars bible! The combined stories of everything above weave an in-depth story outlining Anakin's growth/corruption, the suffering that the Jedi go through, the true intentions of Count Dooku, the tragedy of Ventress and much more. I just pretend TCW show doesn't exist.

When Anakin refuses to leave Obi-Wan for dead on Grievous' ship I always imagine him remembering his friends he left for dead on Jabiim at the Chancellor's orders, this time he will NOT make the same mistake.

Zeta1127 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.