main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    That's the problem with democracy.

Two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Homosexual marriage is an issue that I think, like the civil rights movement of the '60s and the suffragettes, future generations will look back on and wonder why it took us all so long to come to allow them to be.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, I had a rather interesting experience last night. I have been dating this girl (yes, even online admirals have personal lives!) for the past 3-4 weeks and last night we stayed in and cooked dinner & watched a movie. She had been to my house once before the prior week, so she has seen my living room bookshelves, which are littered with history books, biographies, and of course Star Wars books. Anyways, last night she noticed that WAY at the very bottom of the shelf that there were sourcebooks. She was curious to learn that Star Wars has literally dozens and dozens of sourcebooks, plus a little amused. She decided she wanted to grab one and see what they were all about.

She grabbed the Essential Guide to Warfare. 8-}[face_dunno]

I love that she isn't scared or put off by my geeky side, but sweet Jesus it will take at least a few more dates before I am all like "Hey, I know both the authors and proofed the manuscript. Oh, did I mention that I have a character named after me?" :-B

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben, Ulicus , Havac and 16 others like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Dude, that's the first thing I'd mention. I stick the acknowledgement page of the Atlas in people's faces whenever I get a chance, and I'm not even sure why I'm in there. :p

Ulicus , jSarek, Bib Fartuna and 2 others like this.
  6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah your just that much of a presence on the board. ;)

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Will it make you feel better if I told you my 13 year old son thought it was the height of cool when I pointed to your name in Warfare (and Havac et al) and said that I had online conversations with you? :p

Yeah, I didn't think so.

But anyone worth keeping will think it's awesome!

Havac and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    OMG, I forgot to mention the funniest part. As she was flipping through the book, she stopped and asked "Have you read this cover to cover?". I just laughed (somewhat dodging the question) and she literally flipped to the next page and said "What about this part?"

I swear by all that is holy in the universe, she pointed the ACKBAR profile page. [face_laugh][face_rofl][face_laugh]

Honest to God, if I could of recorded my reaction, I would have!

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben, Ulicus , TrakNar and 9 others like this.
  9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, Morrowind fans: Michael Kirkbride is doing an AMA over on r/teslore.

And if I'm reading one of his responses correctly, he was involved with TFU 1.

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Seriously, quit playing it so cool. You earned bragging rights on that one, my friend. Use them.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Who here has played The Last Of Us? I just finished the Pittsburgh section, the climax of which is right outside the building I work in. Let me say that again: I was just at work in a video game.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm sad I missed out on all the acknowledgements since that was a phase where I wasn't posting in Lit much -- it actually took the Atlas to bring me back here, and then I didn't post in the Warfare thread because I avoid threads of prerelease materials for spoiler reasons. Why I did that for an info book -- where there can't be spoilers -- is beyond me. :p

But Nick, man, you've got those acknowledgments and a couple of characters to talk about. That's quite some capital there -- glory once earned must be polished off every so often, lest it loss its luster! Maybe have a movie night at some point and put on RotJ just for kicks. Good avenue to introduce yourself with!

AdmiralNick22 and Bib Fartuna like this.
  13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I have. Speaking as someone who only moderately liked the Uncharted series, I consider TLOU a masterpiece.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I definitely love it so far, but I miss the platforming of Uncharted. LOU basically feels like Naughty Dog presents The Walking Dead.

15. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Climax + Work = NSFW :p

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm still hanging in suspense, Nick. What was your reaction?

(P.S. I'm hoping it was "**** YEAH ACKBAR.")

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm hoping he asked her if it was a trap.

Zeta1127 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  18. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    "Allahu Akbar"

Or alternatively, Nick could have quoted lyrics from "What does the Fox say?"

..."Fish goes Blub" :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Beat Pokemon X tonight, even though I'm sick. Caught Mewtwo, in the process of leveling him up. Started chasing Zapdos around and I need to go catch Zygarde. I also plan to continue cultivating my Pokerus plague and start some serious breeding.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I've told some of you this, already, but, on either Saturday night or Sunday morning:

(Drunk) Me: I'll have a bottle of the house red, please.

Barmaid: Okay. Do you need glasses?

AN UNCOMFORTABLY LONG AND VERY CONFUSED PAUSE

(Drunk) Me: Um... no. I can see just fine.

:oops:

Havac , jSarek, RC-1991 and 5 others like this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So, as I was laughing, she said "Wait, you like the guy with the big fish eyes?" as she pointed to his picture. My response was simple. "In this house, we respect the admiral. He's kind of a big deal."

Like I said, she wasn't scared off and we had a great evening together, so all is well. GrandAdmiralJello, she did say she would watch a Star Wars movie, so she will be formally introduced to the admiral at one point. :p

--Adm. Nick

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    You could just show her this and save some time

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    She also needs the Endor briefing. :p

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Right, she would need some context to fully appreciate the scene.

Wait. It's exactly the same in context :p

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Twice wrong, that scene is nothing without "All craft, prepare to jump to hyperspace on my command".

Or just show this.

instantdeath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.