main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Death Star and Superweapons

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Although my thought process has generally been devoted to weather Palpatine and the Sith have survived, lately I have been thinking about the Technological Terror known as the Death Star, and wondering what its role may be in the sequel trilogy. Death Stars have been a feature in four of the six movies thus far... And I don't believe we have seen the last of them (or at least not the end of their planet shattering technology).
    Star Wars is a modern myth and the Death Star represents the modern exestentionalism of Nuclear War. I do not think this is about to be dropped from the narrative at the midpoint. I don't believe it will be dealt with in the same way as the OT... After all the nature of nuclear threat has changed in our era. I believe it will deal with proliferation and miniaturization of the tech... Everybody has there hands on cheep, dirty bomb style, planet destroyers.... And
    he tech is in the hands of hutts, terrorists, or other undesirables....

2. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I sincerely hope it has no role in the new trilogy. It was bad enough that they recycled the concept for ROTJ.

3. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I think we've seen enough of The Death Star, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came back. It'd look pretty damn good with all of the CGI capabilities, these days.

I can do without it, though.

If anything, I'd rather see another giant space weapon, as opposed to the Death Star.

A_skywalker.sith likes this.
  4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    No more Death Stars, PLZ!!!

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  5. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    The bad guys of the sequel trilogy will rip off the concept of the Death Star and build a new technological terror called "The Grim Reaper Moon"

6. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I seriously hope we won't see any. But that doesn't mean there will be no other sources of danger in the ST.

Dak Oolron and black_saber like this.
  7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The ragtag band of the Empire decides to build yet a third Death Star, but with no ventilation shaft or accessible superstructure. Since the nuclear exhaust can't escape, they all die on the station, making it literally a Death Star.

How's that sound?

Seriously though, no more DS's.

TK327, DarthIshyZ, sizziano and 8 others like this.
  8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I can seriously see JJ wanting to use it...

LunarMoth likes this.
  9. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Perhaps the Alliance will build a Happy Fun Star that shoots rainbows and gold coins at the poor and destitute outer-rim planets.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, no Death Stars in any way, shape or form.

11. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    The new DS will be powered by strange red matter that creates a black hole when the new republic destroys it, sucking in everything around it, except our heroes, who narrowly escape.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm not sure how relevant the Death Star is to a post-Cold War world. Nonetheless, I'm sure Michael Bay loves Death Stars.

13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, I'm against resurrections and this includes the Death Star. Cool concept but it's had its place in history. Let's move on to new stuff. With that I think we'll have to bear a resurrection of sorts with Palpatine as a Force Ghost, which I can live with so long as he isn't corporeal.

14. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    JJ sure likes to have sequences escaping gravity wells, doesn't he?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I'd be far happier seeing Ian McDiarmid being involved again- in any form- than another Death Star.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about a Life Sun that regurgitates planets and moons and ships?

Pax Sithus, Bob Octa and Darkslayer like this.
  17. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I'd rather not see a new Death Star. Seeing two in the films is enough. Another Death Star would be reusing the idea way too many times.

18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    How about some big mama-jamma starship just bristling with weapons, like the Malevolence from TCW?

19. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I think in the ST the galaxy should be fragmented and every third rate planet should have or be trying to build a Death Star.

purplerain likes this.
  20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The ST needs to be ethreal, not material.

The Death Star personifies Palpatine's philosophy of power and it's defeat. Realpolitck. Faith in the material. Vader was right about that technological terror and the Force. Insignificant. Now I want to see how the Dark Side show us why the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant.

I think Plagueis might be able to deliver.[face_devil]

21. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The Death Star has been done to death [face_dancing] Seriously if you are going to go for the super weapon angle again come up with something else or borrow the sun crusher from the EU. I'm personally hoping the bad guy(s) don't have a super weapon at all and it's about the people.

22. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    If the Death Star was a large planetary threat, the writer should go for a small molecular threat (virus).

23. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Palps never struck me that way. To him, Death Stars are disposable.

Pax Sithus likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    He always seemed to be interested in material power, nothing more. A politician or Machiavellian, whose interests were always practical and secular. A Sith who was overconfident in the end.

I've often speculated that Darth Vader had foreseen the destruction of the first Death Star and even set Tarkin up for a fall, not wanting him to be 'holding his leash'. If I recall, Tarkin mentions that he's 'taking an awful risk' and Vader replies that it will be 'a day long remembered'. Well, from a certain POV you might argue that Vader allowed the Rebels a great victory, but destroyed an important political rival. He also believed that he had avenged himself by destroying Obi-Wan. I wonder what Vader thought when Kenobi claimed that he would be stronger, if he struck him down, and when he did, Kenobi's remains disappeared. Wouldn't he have run to the Emperor and said, 'Ding, dang, yo! That brother was stone-cold outta heya!'?

25. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I can't imagine that the galaxy would just forget about the moon which blew up a planet. Even if the DS isn't seen, I'd like to see the impact such a thing leaves on the galaxy. Do planets build their own planet destroyers as a deterrent, breeding mistrust and dividing the galaxy even further? There is a lot of places to go with this.

That being said, I don't want a superweapon to be the focus of VII. Been there, done that.

Darkslayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.