main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the young Palpatine in Darth Plagueis?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, de gustibus et coloribus non disputandum. ;)

Sable_Hart likes this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    In a twisted way, Palpatine really did think he was doing what was best for the galaxy. Unfortunately, his idea of utopia was one in which every living being was nothing more than a mindless drone serving as a psychic extension of his omnipotent will. After all, who wouldn't love living in a galaxy where it's all Palpatine, all the time?

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Re-reading Darth Plagueis for the 3rd time now. I love this book so much. I don't thing young Palpatine could have been written any better in this book.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i like the book very much, and i thought Palpatine was portrayed well. Yes he did have every political ability and was able to look like the peaceful politician, and fooled many people with his, i don't want the power, but i will take it for the good of the republic crap. But inside he was a monster though and through. Truly a psycho.

5. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    This is one reason why I love the Clone War duology Gambit. Though the usual characters in the books are predictable, Palpatine is so deliciously evil. Just check out the scenes where he wants Padme and Bail to vote on some new security measure they were against, by taking them from bombing scene to bombing scene and Palpatine's thoughts. Bail is "that dolt" and Padme is his favorite tool, whom he has some small bit of affection for.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not in the Gambit duology itself though- but in their immediate predecessor by the same author: The Clone Wars: Wild Space.

7. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    But there is no contradiction there, since Palpatine and the universe were one and the same. Or would be one day, if his ultimate plans would have come true.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed the portrayal of Palpatine in Plagueis. Repeating what has already been said, I never expected Palpatine to be some sort of fallen hero. From the beginning he wanted "UNLIMITED POWAAHHH!" and planned to seek it; Plagueis just gave him the opportunity. They used each other, as Plagueis' intention was to use Palpatine's political skills to infiltrate the government himself.

Maybe I missed something but I never saw Cosinga as "abusive". Both of Palpatine's parents seemed exasperated by their sociopathic son.

As far as the mad scientist stuff: maybe some ROTS questions are still unanswered but I'm fine with less of that in the novel, as I prefer to pretend "midichlorians" are something to get vaccinated against.

Plagueis still being alive during TPM was a little weird, but worthwhile just for his reaction to Anakin's discovery. It adds something to Qui-Gon's death when one thinks he was ordered to die for finding Anakin.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Boy, I was going to post in this thread to signal my distaste for Palpatine's portrayal (which only grows by the day) only to find that I'd already done so last year. Heh.

As far as I'm concerned, Robot Chicken has the definitive young Palpatine.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well I just checked and Palpatine is 23 in that, so it's 59 BBY, when he and that banker were busy making plans. He was struggling to come up with a way to unite the galaxy under him, when someone pointed out that "You should consider a career in politics" and the rest is history.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd love to see Seth MacFarlane do a reading from Darth Plagueis. I always love his Palpatine (though it started to get overboard by the third RC SW special), and him doing that voice for, say, the final speech as Palps kills Plagueis would be hilariously awesome. :D

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The ending (while he was killing his master) made it seem like that he was playing Plagueis for a fool since the day they met.

13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    The novel's one major flaw in my opinion.

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    You don't believe he was? Or you think it was a flaw to say it?

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I like to imagine Palpatine was majorly insulted when Plagueis essentially tried to buy his loyalty with that coin. I mean imagine if some old creepster came to your school and tried to buy you with a fancy coin. Let alone Palps was a rich brat anyway. He was probably plotting Plagueis's demise from the getgo.

Arawn_Fenn and Chewbacca89 like this.
  16. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I agree. I think Palpatine was playing him from the start. He let Plagueis see what he wanted him to see.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh yeah. I think Palpatine was always playing Plagueis, whereas Plagueis was trying to play Palpatine.

18. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I do think its interesting that, as far as we know, he was training Palpatine to be an equal.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wouldn't say he was training him to be an equal. He knew that Palpatine had political skills that he himself did not have, so he used Palpatine and his ambition to achieve his primary goal--infiltrating the Republic government and achieving power in that subversive way, unlike fighting for it openly, as the Sith had done in the past and as the Jedi would expect. He planned to have Palpatine appoint him Vice Chancellor so that he could rule behind the scenes--always as Palpatine's Master, telling him what to do.

20. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    In the novel he claims he isn't looking for an apprentice, but an equal.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Are you going to believe anything Plagueis says?

22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I wonder if Palpatine wasn't just Plagueis' Dooku?

23. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I think that's part of the irony of the Palpatine/Plagueis relationship and Plagueis as a whole. He does indeed seek an equal: someone powerful and intelligent enough to conduct business and further the Grand Plan while Plagueis can engage in more esoteric pursuits.

But at the end of the day, the sort of "partner" and "equal" he wants is one who, in case of a disagreement or conflict, does what he's told. ;)

Which isn't a partner at all.

24. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I would tend to agree with you, but he doesn't say this. He thinks it. I don't think he is lying to himself.

25. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

No I don't think he was at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.