main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford Unsure about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sluggo1313., Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Maybe that's the problem. Given the recent reports, maybe the script isn't in a state where he can just read it and make a decision. They may need some more time until they reach the point where the actors can give it a glance over. Hench, a 'work in progress.'

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  2. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013

I've been critical of the idea that Ford didn't seem to just say "where do I sign" as well, given that Star Wars made him. But if what you are positing is true, and I'm kind of thinking it is, I have to grudgingly respect the fact - much as I'd like to see Han Solo again -- that an actor who has had script input and approval on his projects for a kajillion years now isn't just going to sign on without thinking it works. I know he's done some crap in the past ten years, but this year he's batting .667 with Ender and 42 and seems to have a little renaissance going on. I hope he's just pushing for quality.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I think Ford is at a point in both career and life where he's contemplating his legacy. Yeah, he really got going because of Star Wars, but it hasn't defined his career. He's done it all. At this point, I think he's willing to have another go if only to finish up some loose ends and finish what he started so to speak. He's a carpenter by trade, after all. ;)
    Same reason he's interested in an Indy 5. The last one didn't quite close the book, but I think he understands that a 5th and final one could...if done well. I tend to agree with him.

Echo-07, Gallandro and mcgo like this.
  4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Just got home from seeing Ender's Game. Loved it. Harrison was in top form too.

5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Even if he wants to do it and perhaps has informally agreed to do it I'm guessing no contract will be made until the script is near finished. It's a business at the end of the day and the studio won't want to book him for longer than necessary. Until that point he'll continue to to say it's up in the air.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He looks like a cranky old man in that.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Eh, he's more the ultra-strict military type. But yeah, he growls a lot.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He's kinda becoming the new Clint Eastwood.

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Ford was a perfect Graff. Gonna see it again. He's still got it.

10. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Graff was a cranky old man in the book too. Ford did a wonderful job bringing that character to the screen.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Doesn't Graff's weight in the book fluctuate greatly?

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    So does Ender's age - not really something you want to take the time to capture on a film of this nature.

13. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    About a week or so ago on On The Red Carpet (a tv show on ABC Sundays) Harrison Ford was shown being interviewed after having accepted some sort of legacy award. In that interview he stated that he feels like he's just getting started in his career, and about how he is just recently getting back to character acting which is something that he apparently wanted to do all along. Anyway, it was nice to hear him speaking about his ongoing passion for delivering performances on screen.

Personally, I'm revved up and ready to go to the nearest movie theatre when he *finger crossed* reprises his role as Han Solo. Who'd better survive the ST or else I'm picketing *grumble...grumble*

14. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

No, they can't. You jump out of a plane in a raft you die. Period.

Gallandro likes this.
  15. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

Follow that up with the drop from the cliff with the combined body weight of Indy, Willy and Short Round in the raft would also result in instant death as that much mass from that far a drop would be like slamming against concrete. Requires a massive suspension of disbelief.

16. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    No one is saying you can survive a Nuke blast in a fridge, just that it isn't out of place in the Indy movie series, thats all.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I jumped out of a plane with 37 people in a raft. They all died, and I'm currently paralyzed from the neck down.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But you DID survive, so the point has been proven.

19. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I have to say I'm excited for a Blade Runner movie, with or without Ford. There is just a whole universe to explore with it. I'm not saying I want someone else to play Deckard but we could have an entire new cast of characters and it would still work. Having said that, I hope that Ford does return as Deckard one last time!

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    After a voodoo priestess brought me back to life via alligator blood.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I am cautiously optimistic about another Blade Runner. I'd prefer it if Ford's role in it was a cameo and nothing more, though. His story is over.
    But it is a rich universe, and I think many good movies could take place in it - but they could also be stinkers. Just look at Soldier :p

22. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

To be fair, I think Indy did more to make Harrison Ford's career and establish him as a leading man then star wars, and he seems pretty high on doing another one of those.

I can see both sides of it, Star Wars did give him a huge boost in his career and got him Lucas's radar which got him in Indy, on the other hand if thats just not really his kind of role, his kind of movie, he did the first one because he wanted the work and obvisouly didn't expect it to be what it was, I can understand not being big on going back to it.

23. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't disagree with you about Indy really cementing him a a leading man.

As for the "not his kind of role," here's my thought, which means absolutely squat in the context of whatever's going on in Harrison Ford's head, but here goes:

Having now read both The Making of Star Wars and The Making of Empire Strikes Back (haven't read Jedi yet), it's impossible not to see how much he was committed to, and how invested he was in, this character at least during the making of the first two films. The pages about the discussions between Ford and Kersh regarding the carbon-freeze scene alone are really terrific and show a performer who cared a lot that this all played out as authentically as possible. Ford was doing, from my perspective, what all good actors do: keeping an eye out for the truth of their character, which is sometimes lost (and sometimes necessarily lost) by those who are looking at the big picture.

I know from all he's said over the years that he truly thought the character should die in Jedi, and I don't disagree that from an arc of Han Solo, or actor point-of-view, there's a whole lot that's dramatically right about that: character starts off as a mercenary who cares only about himself, character grows into someone who gives his life for the people he's come to love. But there's also something "big picture" wrong about that, if we're assuming that in Lucas' big picture, Han and Leia went on to have children who would become the next generation of Jedi. (and I guess I'm going to assume that unless and until there are no Solo kids in the ST, in which case I'll completely buy into the idea that Solo should have died in VI.)

So I don't think he disliked this character from the start. It seems to me he worked very hard on this character, came to dislike the way the character was written in VI, and has had Han-in-Jedi on the brain since then. (And he's also on record as hating the Ewoks.) IMHO Han didn't need to die, but I do think there was a lot more they could have done with the character, dramatically (which the film just gives you the tiniest hints of), and that he was written as an altogether person in VI than he was in IV and V. (And I don't mean different due to maturation of character. I mean different in the "where is Han Solo and does carbonite cause some mental impairment?" sort of way).

I hope he gives the new powers-that-be the chance to win him back to a character he did at one time seem to care very much about getting right.

On the other hand, Harrison Ford's issue could be fans like me who go around projecting their feelings about the OT onto him, which has to be annoying after 36 years. :)

24. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    I'm not suggesting he simply showed up for the pay cheque and thats it. I'm sure he was very committed to doing the best job he could, but that doesn't mean he enjoyed the movies, liked the movies, they were his kind of movies etc....He seems quite different then someone like Mark Hamill who just loves comics and sci-fi and pop culture etc... It might just be "I just the job to the best of my ability but its not something I want to revisit", as opposed to Indy which seems to be "I did the job to the best of my ability, and I'd love to do it again".

As for the Han dying, the idea that he thought it was better for the character arc etc... seems to be a pretty new idea out there. For years and years the story was, at the time he didn't know if Jedi was hte last one if Star Wars would become like James Bond they'd just keep making new ones every 2-3 years, and he wanted Han killed so he wouldn't have to keep coming back.

25. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    Ford's not a movie buff in general. But I take your point...not wanting to do it again is perfectly valid. Hey, it's just a movie, I say through gritted teeth :)

But the story arc rationale for the death of Han Solo was floating around pretty contemporaneously with the release of Jedi. I remember reading an unauthorized bio of Ford around the time of Witness (why do I remember these things from my childhood but couldn't tell you what I ate for dinner last night), that discussed his rationale for killing Solo with the "he's got no mama/he's got no papa...he needed a legacy" quote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.