main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why people admire this much the Mandos (in universe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I just offered it as a suggestion for why the Mandalorians might use Nukes in a practical sense. If Turbolasers at the time weren't strong enough to flatten cities, but nukes could, then they would be the obvious choice.

I believe in the latter for atmospheric turbolaser shots. One star destroyer taking out the entire surface of a planet in an hour not only makes the concept of the Base Delta Zero pointless, but it also goes against what Han says in A New Hope about how destroying Alderaan would take more than half the Imperial Starfleet and more firepower than he'd ever seen.

It ain't like Star Trek where you can melt a planet down to its mantle in a couple hours of Phaser volleys.

2. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I don't think they're really being used as a central focus most of the time. They're omnipresent, sure, but they aren't often the main focus, unless the work is specific to them. They make cameos in The Old Republic and in Legacy, but they are there more as window dressing than as major players.

I'd actually argue that with how many different variations of Mandalorians we've seen over the course of EU material, they are probably the most culturally diverse nation in all of Star Wars. The warrior culture is their motif, but how that is interpreted and what life is like for the people is vastly different depending on what you're reading. It really works in keeping with their multicultural heritage.

I'd rather have the Mandalorians as a common threat than the fifty thousand Sith uprisings we're treated to nowadays.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed.

The Victory Star Destroyer's speciality is planetary bombardment- and what it has over ships like the Venator, is a large number of missile tubes. Implying that missiles for planetary bombardments were normal as late as the Clone Wars.

4. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    It's also why they have dedicated siege ships such as Torpedo spheres.

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I agree. The Sith are being used too much as well.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Weren't they more for destroying shields, than planetary bombardment? With it weakening the shield- sending beams through the weak spot to destroy the generator- and the rest of the fleet moving in to attack the planet? I would think shield-buster torps are expensive enough that they'd be used only on shields, not the planet's surface itself.

7. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Ah, you're right. I just checked. But Base Delta Zero attacks were common as late as the Clone Wars, backing up your assertion about the VSD1s.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Tricky question is how severe they were- were they meltings, or just scorchings?

Raising the air temperature at ground level to about 400 degrees C, would rapidly kill everything on the surface. If the ground was that warm as well- seeds might crack and die.

9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I agree with everything you said, except I was never a fan of them. lol But, you got my thoughts down pretty well. Unless he had a mental defect, Bardan Jusik's defection to the Mandalorians was one of the most unbelievable things I've ever read in an EU work.
    It's kinda funny, though, how for being such great warriors they ultimately lose pretty much every conflict they get into.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How often do we here people admiring, fearing or respecting Mandos in ABY time? And what part/s of mandolorian culture/history/life stile/technology/warfare is it they usual are admiring/fearing/respecting? I am a bit behind in the EU so I don't really know

12. DarthSanctimonious

DarthSanctimonious Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    Precisely as often as Karen Traviss is permitted to write books set in the ABY period.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Stover seemed to portray Leia (and even Han, though with extreme reluctance) admiring Fenn Shysa- and this was after Revelation was published (before 501st was, though).

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah but was more because he was essentially so Anti-Mando he got annoying. ;)

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well they did manage to hold the Jedi in their own temple by order of Daala. They bring fear and respect being talented warriors. Out of universe, I have never cared much about mando's. To me they lost their charm when Traviss over glorified them, and trashed the Jedi

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    As would a squad of Alliance Troopers, but they would have questioned the sheer insanity of it.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But how feared and respect are they in the modern era? And what is it that folk respect?

18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The history.

The Mandalorians under the Empire- hell, probably since the Mandalorian Excision of the 730s- were a shadow of their former strength, but were still highly effective mercenaries. And they had the better part of four thousand years of terrorizing the Republic to back up their reputation. They were still the culture that had rode with Exar Kun, glassed Serroco, burned Duro, exterminated countless species on the Rim, slew the Dark Underlord, and in the distant past had been the primordial enemy of humanity itself on ancient Notron. In the modern era they were as much a cultural bogeyman as anything else- they were the Gauls to the Republic's Rome, an ancient adversary who had never quite been defeated, and who could conceivably come back at any time to wreak havoc. Another comparison might be with the Ironborn of A Song of Ice and Fire- regardless of whether or not the modern Ironborn are particularly effective fighters, and regardless of what a pathetic failure Balon's Rebellion was, they're still the Ironborn who once ruled half of the Seven Kingdoms with an iron fist, and once mercilessly reaved the shores of Westeros. Harren the Black's kingdom was annihilated by Aegon the Conqueror three centuries ago, but his legacy is still felt at the time of the War of the Five Kings.

Compound that with the exploits of prominent armor-wearing figures- Jango Fett, the subject of numerous holothrillers, was clearly reasonably well-known- and the name is sufficiently infused with menace in the modern era.

19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    To use real-life expamples the appeal is a mixture of the "awe" (for lack of a better word) inspired by the likes of Huns, Mongols and Nazi-Germany (they Nazi's might have been genocidal maniacs, but they had Tiger-tanks and wore uniforms by Hugo Boss) for the ancient Mandaloriens and - for the modern-day Mandos - the admiration and high regard devoted to members of the SpecialForces like Navy Seals, SAS or GSG9.

20. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 24, 2013
    He's basically got a Mandalorian name anyway.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This made me think, we have seen jedi joining the mandos for different reasons but have we seen any mando abandoning parts of their culture and joining the jedi/Republic?

22. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I see a bit of appeal.
    The armor is awesome
    They're pretty good at fighting.
    But they're over-liked, and they just always lose.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    They did a lot of damage 3-5 thousand years ago. They were feared Mercenaries, and when they get togather for an all out war, the casulaties were huge. The mandos that joined the anceint sith nearly wiped out the Republic. Only Reven saved the republic from exctinction.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there anything they have done after the Russan reform that deserves respect?

25. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    They came to the laudable realization that pacifism is the wiser path, of course. ;)

Gamiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.