main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Batman in print and animation

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    yeah I don't like that either. Dick is a great Robin, but Tim? Bruce held the view that Tim could be a better detective than him one day. High praise, considering. But yeah, I felt that was a bad decision, esp. given Damian's polarising personality. Did anyone dislike Tim, ever?

2. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    And the fact that every Robin has apparently only been Robin for about one year. I thought Tim had been Robin? In one issue didnt they show all the Robins in it?

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Hell, Ra's called Tim "Detective." The highest of praise.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Can't say I did. As far as Robins go, there's Dick and there's Tim and as far as my head canon is concerned, that should've been it, with Jason Todd staying dead, Dead, DEAD. This Red Robin retcon is a load of bullcrap.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm okay with it, I just think it really does a disservice to A Lonely Place of Dying (I think that's its name), the story that introduced Tim and made him Robin. Also, Steph Brown being Robin was totally fine. Damian was an awesome Robin, but he only worked with Dick as Batman, because it was an inversion of the usual relationship - a lighthearted, smiling Batman and a grim, scowling Robin.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Erm, Red Hood? Red Robin = Tim, Red Hood = Jason

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Yes, it's what I meant, even though I guess I wasn't too clear with my posting. Just stating (again) my whole dislike of the Jason Todd resurrection in the discussion. But I know that Tim is now Red Robin.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I was tempted to end that post with that but since 1) I've never eaten there and didn't want to make a liar of myself and 2) gods what a sucky name it is, I opted for restraint. :p

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

In 2008, Barry Allen returned from the Speed Force in "Final Crisis". In 2009-2010, "Blackest Night" happened and at the end, his old foe Eobard Thawne, the Reverse Flash had come back from the dead. Thawne then went back in time and killed Barry's mother and framing his father for the murder. Barry learned of this and fought his old foe in the present. Later on in "Flashpoint", Barry went back in time to try and prevent his mother's death, but in the process of doing this, seriously damaged the time stream, resulting in a new timeline coming into existence. Barry had temporary forgotten that he did this and once he regained his memories, had to go back and fix things. But in the process, history shifted again and while some things went back to normal, other things wound up changing.

In Superman's new origin, for instance, he didn't have a traditional costume right away. He wore a t-shirt with the S-Shield on it, his blanket which doubled as his cape, a pair of jeans and work boots. When Brainiac came to Earth, Clark went aboard his ship and discovered both Kandor and an old Kryptonian armor that when he put it on, would adapt itself into a costume that would become his new suit.

The story "Grounded" had ended in 2011 as Clark resolved the issues that lead to his journey. Then he was dragged into a confrontation with Lex Luthor at the end of his story, "The Black Rings". From there, Clark went to rejoin Steel, Supergirl, the Eradicator, the Cyborg and Superboy in battling an offshoot of Doomsday that Lex had a hand in creating. After that story concluded, everything lead into "Flashpoint".

I concur. It's one reason why I stopped reading new material. The justification that Tim didn't want to sully the Robin name was stupid. Especially when you read "A Lonely Place Of Dying". That and cramming four Robins in five years.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

In 2008, Barry Allen returned from the Speed Force in "Final Crisis". In 2009-2010, "Blackest Night" happened and at the end, his old foe Eobard Thawne, the Reverse Flash had come back from the dead. Thawne then went back in time and killed Barry's mother and framing his father for the murder. Barry learned of this and fought his old foe in the present. Later on in "Flashpoint", Barry went back in time to try and prevent his mother's death, but in the process of doing this, seriously damaged the time stream, resulting in a new timeline coming into existence. Barry had temporary forgotten that he did this and once he regained his memories, had to go back and fix things. But in the process, history shifted again and while some things went back to normal, other things wound up changing.

In Superman's new origin, for instance, he didn't have a traditional costume right away. He wore a t-shirt with the S-Shield on it, his blanket which doubled as his cape, a pair of jeans and work boots. When Brainiac came to Earth, Clark went aboard his ship and discovered both Kandor and an old Kryptonian armor that when he put it on, would adapt itself into a costume that would become his new suit.

The story "Grounded" had ended in 2011 as Clark resolved the issues that lead to his journey. Then he was dragged into a confrontation with Lex Luthor at the end of his story, "The Black Rings". From there, Clark went to rejoin Steel, Supergirl, the Eradicator, the Cyborg and Superboy in battling an offshoot of Doomsday that Lex had a hand in creating. After that story concluded, everything lead into "Flashpoint".

I concur. It's one reason why I stopped reading new material. The justification that Tim didn't want to sully the Robin name was stupid. Especially when you read "A Lonely Place Of Dying". That and cramming four Robins in five years.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Huh wow you must read a lot of comics.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Between 1984 to 1991, I was collecting off and on with DC and Marvel. The most I did get was "Real Ghostbusters", "The Transformers" and "Robocop" between 87-91. Between 87-90, my mom would order out of the JC Penny catalog, a box of twenty five Marvel comics, picked up randomly by the company and then would be delivered. I was mostly reading the Spider-Man titles, "The Incredible Hulk" and the two latter Marvel titles I listed above. Occasionally I would pick up one of the Spider-Man books, outside of the Holidays, same with Superman and Batman books. Then in 1991, I started picking up DC and Marvel books on a semi regular basis. I was able to go full time in 1993. By which point I was getting the Superman titles, the Batman titles, the Spider-Man books, Hulk and occasionally the Punisher and Green Lantern. Plus spin off books, annuals and mini-series, with a few trades here and there.

Starting in 1997, I had to cut back on the number of books that I was collecting because of financial difficulties. Namely that I was finishing high school, but didn't start college right away and didn't work at the time. It's a long story there, so I won't go into that. But by June of 98, I was pretty much done collecting as I had found suitable jump off points. Though I was able to get a few in October of that same year, but that would be pretty much it until 2006, when I was able to start affording comics again and found a nice jump on point. Thanks to comic book stores have sales on Black Friday, Free Comic Book Day, sidewalk sales and the recent Halloween Comicfest, along with a local comic and sci-fi convention in June of 2011, I've been able to fill in my collection with stuff that I missed out when I had stopped. Along with before I started full time and with certain titles that I couldn't get at the time, but can now. Plus, since about 2007, I've been using the Half Price Books store that opened up in my area, which is supplied by the comic stores own stock that they cannot move and from regional collectors.

So my collection has increased greatly since 2006. Before it was about eleven boxes worth of stuff. It's increased since then.

14. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Aww, no more Tim was Robin? That's sad, he was always my favorite. Maybe next time Superboy Prime punches a hole in reality that can be reversed.
    I must say I'm in great awe of some of my fellow JCCers' comic reading. I'm so bogged down in struggling to keep up with Marvel that I've barely touched DC (or at least, that's how it feels given the plethora of material).

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I have never touched a superhero comic in my life I'm sad to say.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's really a stupid decision there to retcon it that way.

Well, my only struggle these days is that I find more to distract me than I used to have. And getting so many comics in short periods of time, only tends to add to it. Not that I'm complaining. Time was, I could get through a month's worth of new comics in one afternoon. And that was while I was going in and out of stores, on shopping days. Reading as soon as I got into the car, between each trip to the next location and then the trip back home. I can't really do that nowadays.

Nothing wrong with that. And you don't have to read superhero material. There's plenty of other stuff out there that's just as interesting to read, that doesn't involve tights and spandex.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I was a late bloomer and did all of my collecting between '87 and '06. Mostly X-Men stuff, peppered with a bit of Batman, random DCs, Dark Horse (SW and Frank Miller stuff before he went completely insane) and, regrettably, Image crap. Money issues and married life put an end to that but I love and respect the genre. I can't say how many comics I owned but, between regular issues and TPBs, I suspect it came close to 10 or so standard boxes. That collection I pretty much gave or threw away and now only own 6 or 7 TPBs. :(

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I would like to read some of the really good Batman graphic novels, but a lot of them at Barnes and Noble are expensive.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, they're going to be expensive as trade paperbacks and hardcovers cost anywhere between $12.95 to almost $50.00. The latter being hardcovers, especially the Absolute Editions. Those are larger books with the pages enlarged. I take it there are no comic book stores in your area? The only other options I can think of is to either go online and try to get them at discount. There are comic book stores online that will give you good discounts. The other one is check with your local library and see if they have any comic trades available for check out.

Ouch. I take it this was the result of not having a lot of space in your home, or apartment? That's sometimes the bane of long term relationships.

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

That, as well as having a non-geek wife wary of my stacking large piles of printed paper in a corner somewhere. Marriage, eh?

But the way I see it, I got the enjoyment of most of what I had read and whether or not what I had would be worth something in the future (odds are it wouldn't) wasn't much of a consideration back then. As it happens, that corner in the particular room I had in mind eventually suffered flood damage. So one way or another, that collection was going to be trashed. Hopefully, someone somewhere will get some enjoyment of what I lost.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I can imagine that. I watched an episode of "Collection Intervention" with a guy who had a significant collection, which was cluttering up the living room and the dining room area. I could see both sides of the argument of keeping versus getting rid of something. There's always using a tablet or your home computer and downloading via comixology.

Double ouch with the flooding. I live in tornado country, so I have to worry about that and living in an apartment building, there's always the risk of fire. Back in late September, the smoke alarms went off at five in the morning. No fire, just a problem with the alarm box's battery. So I can definitely relate. If my collection were lost like that, I wouldn't go back and replace it.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If anyone sold my Calvin and Hobbes comics, there would be hell to pay.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The latest Fatman on Batman podcast is a joy to listen to; highly recommend it.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Reading the Dark Knight Returns. Finished Part 1. I like it. I like it a lot.

25. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Gooood. Goooooooooooood.