main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If you could recommend one book and only one, what would it be?"

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Nov 4, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Rogue1-and-a-half - Oh man, I can't tell you where to start with Carlin; they're all good. I want ot go back and buy the archived ones on the Cold War. But I know the one you mean - quite damning to Teddy Roosevelt!

If I had to recommend any, it would be the 5 part "Wrath of the Khans" series.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Brilliant use of time, fantastic and cutting parody of war, shockingly effective swings between laugh-out-loud funny and darkly depressing realities. It's a rare read that's enjoyable, enlightening, and sobering all at once. And from a literary perspective it's a brilliant example of what you can do creatively with prose.

Frank T. and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Five parts?! And each part presumably super long, I bet. That sounds amazing.

By the by, I am about a week out from starting a thread on podcasts. We need one of those around here; I'll be posting little write-ups about a bunch of different ones (like a hosted discussion) and hopefully also people will be posting about the newest episodes of the ones they listen to, etc. (like a regular thread). Aren't you big into the Smodcasts too?

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ha, I actually spoke to a mod about that a while back but nothing came of it. Yeah, I catch the bus to work and cannot read on the bus without feeling profusely ill. So, I go all in for Podcasts - BBC History Hour; Smodcast - Fat Man on Batman; Smodcast - Hollywood Babble-On; BBC Five Live - The Chequered Flag (F1); Red Bull Racing; Sidepodcast; Freakonomics radio; Hardcore History. I used to listen to Reasonable Doubts but it ran out of interesting things to say.

And they're about 90mins a piece, those Khan ones.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

everybody watch Marjoe right now. academy award winning doc from teh 70s, and one of the great under-watched documentaries of all time. famed child preacher marjoe gortner grows up and decides to expose the scam tactics of evangelical preachers

EmpireForever likes this.
  6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I saw that on Youtube a while ago. Great stuff.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012