main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Quick question about Luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Revan., Nov 3, 2013.

1. Lord Revan.

Lord Revan. Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2013
    Was Luke, like Anakin, also good at working with machines and fixing things? There is a deleted scene in ROTJ where he is building his own lightsaber. I don't know if this means anything. But was he?

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Every source I know of says yes. Someone had to maintain his T-16 back home, the ANH novelization says Luke is an engine jockey and the in the radio drama Luke can easily see the similarities between a T-16 and an X-Wing. In the movies he's plenty handy with an X-Wing.

3. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    All jedi's were required to construct their own lightsabers, so I'm not sure that deleted scene in-and-of itself would convince me that Luke is handy with mechanical items... or a gear head.....

4. Lord Revan.

Lord Revan. Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2013
    Yeah, that's what i was thinking. But there's any other evidence about this? Maybe something with droids?

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Like CT said, the ANH novelization shows that Luke loved tinkering with the Lars family vehicles. The Black Fleet Crisis confirms this, when Luke is performing maintenance on the Mud Sloth and he's remembering some of his childhood tinkering.

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    When we're introduced to Luke, his main concern is getting hardware from Tosche Station, so I'd say yes. Don't forget, he spent a great deal of his youth at Tosche Station- so much so it became the hangout spot for him and his buddies.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He's a farmboy. Farmboys fix tractors and combines, and droids and vaporators.

8. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Excellent point Mr. K... Although it's circumstantial, it certainly is the strongest circumstantial evidence...

And Sarge, just cuz he can clean some carbon scoring off some droids don't make him no mechanic.... ;)

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yep, and Owen & Beru counted on Luke to keep everything running:

Plus the original (as shot) introduction to Luke was in the deleted scene where he's fixing a moisture vaporator.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Luke was as good as Anakin at being a gearhead, though, he would have just flat-out built a droid that understood Bochee and moisture vaporators and then uncle Owen doesn't buy C-3PO and gets to live his life as a non-burned corpse husk. Great job, Luke!

11. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

In all fairness, Anakin didn't create Threepio from scratch. He found the used skeleton in Watto's junkyard and refurbished him.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

He is never really shown as a protigy that Anakin was, but I think its implied with him cleaning up the Droids, Owen needing him on the farm, etc... that he isn't unskilled either.

As for the lightsaber thing... we dunno how hard is it to build a lightsaber. Might not be that tough.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As noted, all Jedi and Sith created their own Lightsabers. This is shown in detail when you watch "The Clone Wars" episodes which featured construction of a Lightsaber. The deleted scene in ROTJ, featured Luke making final adjustments to his saber. As to the broken down droid, that takes time to build and Owen didn't have time to waste on that, when he could rely on the Jawas to deliver. Also, Anakin had an advantage as he worked for a junk dealer. Luke was a farmer. Not as easy to get the kinds of supplies needed.

14. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Yes. I thought he was the Falcon's mechanic. Although so is Chewie. The Falcon needs like, a million mechanics.

Also building a lightsaber is not hard, it's a thing for the younglings to do in TCW.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Luke built his lightsaber based on instructions that Obi-Wan had left in his hut. It may not have been a difficult project in theory, but Luke double- and triple-checked every step to make sure he was doing everything exactly right. It probably took him much longer to make one than any prequel-era Jedi.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Also, Luke had no mentor looking over his shoulder to ensure he built it right. I'd be pretty paranoid about building and activating a weapon with the power of a lightsaber if I couldn't get an expert to check it over before I pushed the button. If it went wrong, he'd be lucky to only lose another hand.

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Luke inherited Ani's piloting skills, so why wouldn't he have at least some of his father's affinity for gadgets?

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Shadows of the Empire:

"Go back inside," he told Artoo.
    Artoo was not happy with that, and said so, ending in an air-forced-through-rubbery-lips noise.
    "Go on. If something happens, I need you to tell Leia."
    Yeah. Tell her Luke Skywalker, the galaxy's biggest idiot, flash-flamed himself into a black crisp because he couldn't follow an elementary circuit diagram.
    Artoo left, whistling his protest as he went.
    Luke let his breath out. He waited until Artoo was out of sight, then took another deep breath, held it, and pushed the control button
    The lightsaber glowed; the blade extruded to full length, just under a meter, and began to hum with power. It gave off a green gleam that was quite bright in the early night.
    Luke grinned and let his indrawn breath escape. Whew.
    Well, it wasn't like he really thought it was going to explode.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Luke was his Father's Son plus a dose of his mother's kindness. He's a great mechanic in addition to being a great pilot, but significantly less of a jerk than Anakin.
    The part about the galaxy's biggest idiot the only part of that book I remember.

20. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    All this thread reminds me of is the fact Anakin built 3PO....the worst bit about the entire Saga.

But getting back to Luke I'd think he'd have to be handy with tools because living on the farm so far from everything he'd have to be able to fix whatever needed fixing....I think old Uncle Owen's getting a raw deal here though because it would have been him and not any 'skills' handed down by Anakin that taught Luke his mechanical know how.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    This is how I feel about it too. Being able to fix things isn't hereditary, but is certainly the product of living in a harsh environment far away from any real civilization where things are always breaking down and there is very little by way of replacements and new parts.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Most times we see eye to eye, however I would suggest that being able to fix things is indicative of a person's aptitude to visualize and rationalize the mechanical/electrical nature of a component. That facet demonstrates mechanical ability and is most certainly hereditary... easily argued that it was inherited from a parent. Throughout history you have families that have passed along trades to offspring, or you have a family that all work in a specific set of occupations that demonstrate eye-hand acuity, or 3D visualization, etc.

I agree with the second point you make in the latter section of your statement that the other 1/2 of a person's makeup comes from environment. Definitely environmental conditions help mold a person into whomever they become.

23. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I was actually going to make a comment that general intelligence is hereditary, and higher intelligence certainly leads to higher aptitudes with regards to visualization and understanding how things work. So while I wouldn't consider "mechanical ability" to be hereditary, I do consider intelligence to be a factor which improves mechanical ability, and intelligence is hereditary. So there is certainly a connection, albeit IMHO not a direct one.

24. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Oct 22, 2013
    Wait... uh did you agree or disagree with me?!?! [face_laugh] I need an extra dollop of that hereditary higher intelligence...

25. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    The way I see it, we 75% agree - which is about 75% more agreement than I am used to on these forums. ;)