main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The official Anakin's Spirit poll

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Nov 5, 2013.

?

When I picture Anakin's Ghost, I see...

1. Sebastian Shaw

115 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. Hayden Christensen

82 vote(s)
    41.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So I've seen a lot of debate being brought back from the grave lately about Anakin and his otherworldly appearance in ROTJ.

This thread isn't for arguing your point over which incarnation you prefer, this is simply collecting data to see what our own JCF has a consensus on. Feel free to post like "I picked Shaw/Christensen!" but please really try to filter the arguments to the thread for that purpose ^_^

(FYI - I go with Hayden)

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  3. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I picture Hayden Cristensen.

I don't like the actor and think he should be replaced, but I've never seen the unedited movies, so he's the only human version of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader I can visualize. Also, as far as I'm concerned Han Solo can magically ricochet back Greedo's shot. Story-wise, it makes more sense to me that the ghost would have appear in young Jedi form. That would be the best that Luke Skywalker would recognize, the adventurous padawan that Obi-wan talked about, and it wouldn't be disturbing like burned Sebastian Shaw.

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I've argued this a million times but by putting a young Hayden in the force ghost scene contradicts EVERYTHING in ROTJ. The whole point of ROTJ is that there is some little ounce of good left in Darth Vader, so it was the OLDER version of Anakin that was conflicted throughout the movie, it was the OLDER version of Anakin that saved his son and threw the Emperor down the shaft at the end of the movie. So it is only fitting that the OLDER version of Anakin be shown as a force ghost. By putting young Anakin there in the force ghost scene, you are saying that this was the last time he was good, and it misses the point that his ultimate act of good was done when he was OLDER Anakin.

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Shaw. Putting Christensen in seemed like a desperate attempt at connecting the OT to the PT, with an even more desperate excuse of "Well, a Jedi should look like how he does before he falls to the Dark Side." In either depiction (Shaw or Christensen), the character is being portrayed as Anakin Skywalker, and I personally always enjoyed the portrayal of "Anakin had he never fallen" as a more intriguing "What-If" visual. As in, so this is how Anakin Skywalker would have looked had he never become Darth Vader.

Abadacus, DL44Jo, TaradosGon and 3 others like this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hayden.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  7. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Sebastian.... It was like that for years and years.... I guess it's just ingrained in me, and I understand but cannot agree with the logic on how Hayden should be in his place in that scene.

DL44Jo, Ganger, TX-20 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    It seems like a mute point if you like Shaw watch his version but if you like Hayden watch his?!

When I saw they had changed Anakin to Hayden in the Special editions I was quite happy because after watching Episodes II and III he was Anakin to me....Sebastian just wasn't in Jedi long enough for me to see him as Vader.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I am going through the ROTJ BluRay version and I don't see Shaw in there, only Hayden. So I guess Shaw fans can't watch him on BluRay. ;)

10. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I sorta was meaning the original version....but thanks now I want the original on blu-ray haha

Carbon1985 likes this.
  11. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Guess I'll have to break out my VCR.... ;)

Carbon1985 likes this.
  12. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    although I was roughtup with the 97 SE, I was surprised but satisfied with the Hayden change... So yeah I'm gonna go with Hayden

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There needs to be an apathy option.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't care one way or another.

I picture Shaw because I pictured Shaw for 20 years before the OT came out on DVD, but I'm not upset about the Hayden change either.

15. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Shaw is the guy who dies in Luke's arms in ROTJ. If you've watched that movie you've seen him. Visualization not really needed.

Andy Wylde, Abadacus, DL44Jo and 4 others like this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Shaw

17. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Sebastian is a better name, but Anakin is Hayden in my mind.

18. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Sebastian, he's the real deal. It was like that most of the time, so...
    can't really picture Hayden there.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    From a kid's point of view, Hayden. I only say that out of my own experiences; as a kid, I didn't immediately recognize Sebastian Shaw as the actor who played Vader unmasked. It took some more viewings for it to really sink in (and even reading up). If a kid were to watch the Saga, Hayden's appearance as Anakin is unmistakable, and would leave no doubt.

Though I still voted for Shaw because I still believe in the original interpretation of the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. They had all the means to have a young Anakin, but they chose Shaw with a purpose. I believe that each Star Wars film can stand alone as an outstanding movie, and this is one change that would detract from the standalone appeal.

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    There is no debate to be had here. As far as I'm concerned you aren't a Star Wars fan if you don't vote for Shaw

Ganger likes this.
  21. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

[face_not_talking]

22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    OK, let's not slag off other opinions, this is just a poll thread.

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Hayden's the only one that makes sense to my mind.

24. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    To be fair, I guess the other Force Ghosts look like the person they were when they died. To a certain extent, Shaw makes sense, as that's Anakin when he dies, but Yoda said Anakin died when he turned to the Dark Side. It really comes down to a matter of opinion.

25. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Shawly it has to be Shaw ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.