main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Episode VII coming out in Dec 2015?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Eh, I understand some fans don't mind Episode VII coming out later than previously thought so that the product can be fine-tuned n' all, but at the same time I know some people who can't afford to go to theaters--nor can they afford the price of the DVD/Blu-ray when it's first released--and those people have to wait years for the movie price to drop significantly just to see it for the first time. That said, I feel bad for those people as the date is possibly pushed back even further for them to be able to see Star Wars, and as such I'd much rather J. J. and Disney stick with the original date they'd implied Episode VII would be released on.

2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Huh? Won't it cost the same whenever it's coming out?

3. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Star Wars Ep. 7 will SLAUGHTER Avatar at the box office, I guarantee it. Guarantee it.

It's the Wars, man. You've got OT fans AND prequel fans that are going to go see it. Now take into account, the OT fans are in their 30s-60s, the PT fans are from their teens to late 20s. So now all of the late 20s PT fans are going to be taking their young children to see it, as well. It's going to do MONSTER numbers.

The only film that really has a chance to outdo SW Ep 7 is Avengers 2, and since they're both Disney-owned properties, they're going to space them out a good bit.

Avatar got so much hype, because there was nothing else coming out at that time, to hold a candle to it. You put Ep. 7 vs Avatar 2, and I GUARANTEE, that SW will dominate. Quote me on it.

4. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Diggs

No. DVD's usually cost around $20 when first released--Blu-Ray is even higher--and it takes over half a year to a year for it to go on sale (which also depends as some movies don't go on sale for even longer periods). I was referring to how some people can't afford theater tickets or the film itself until it arrives on sale, which takes quite awhile.

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I've been thinking about this and it could be problematic. I work at a place where we do not have Christmas off. (It's a union job which i won't even get into.) IF this comes out on Christmas then I could be screwed. Course, I do have a good two years to get outta that hellhole. :p

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I dunno times have changed.

7. markdeez33

Jan 25, 2013
    Times haven't changed, my friend. Star Wars fans are forever. Avatar was cool and all, for what it was, but it doesn't hold a candle to Star Wars.

Adjusted for Inflation, the original 1977 Star Wars is the 2nd highest grossing film of ALL-TIME, behind only Gone With The Wind.

Empire Strikes Back is also ranked higher than Avatar, adjusted for inflation.

Avatar ranks slightly above The Phantom Menace & Return of The Jedi, though.

I'm telling you, Star Wars Ep. 7 will beat it.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  8. markdeez33

Jan 25, 2013
    Hopefully you can use a sick day or something!

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    No. But I'll call out anyway. See all the senior workers get the holiday off. But I may have enough seniority in two years time. Either way I am NOT going to work on the day E7 comes out, nor the days following. I plan on spending those days watching the new gift -- Midnight showig included of course. :p[face_laugh]

markdeez33 likes this.
  10. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    I hate to burst bubbles here, but Star Wars being included for the Infinity game line up isn't a rumor, it's a fact. This was talked about back in April, in fact don't be too shocked if Infinity uses characters and vehicles from the upcoming Rebels show for the game. Will there be a big push of Episode VII products for the game? Of course there will be, Disney owns Star Wars, why wouldn't they use it?

The whole 1313 front? I was the one that reported about the game still being in development when that video dropped about post production work for movies. BTW that part of the article was retracted after I posted the story. Now if you really want something that will blow your mind think about this. They were asking what type of characters fans would want to see star in the game right? Well the description of 'Rachel' would work quite well in a game like 1313.

Artoo-Dion and Diggs like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Christmas will be really awesome/horrible for toys that year.

12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Let me tell you something..... anyone whom you know who can't afford $10 to go see a movie or buy an $18 DVD when released and has "to wait years for the movie price to drop significantly just to see it for the first time" has got much bigger problems than when the release date of E7 is.

13. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

You're using bad numbers. Adjusted for inflation is fine, but you simply cannot use the numbers for the 78, 79, 82, 83 and SE re-releases to buttress your argument. You have to use the numbers from the original runs of ANH, TESB and ROTJ for your argument... and in all of those cases they made the following:

Unadjusted (Initial Run):

ANH - 216 million ($260 after rereleases in 78 and 79)
    TESB - 209 million
    ROTJ - 252 million
    TPM - 431 million

Box Office Adjusted (Initial run):

ANH - 758 million
    TESB - 619 million
    ROTJ - 644 million
    TPM - 676 million

Total tickets sold (Initial run):

ANH - 94 million
    TESB - 77 million
    ROTJ - 80 million
    TPM - 84 million

Avatar made $749 million in its initial run unadjusted, that's $803 million adjusted for inflation. Star Wars is NEVER going to approach that number. Frankly the results of Phantom Menace are a best case scenario, with Episode VII selling around 80 million tickets... but that's a big if. There's simply way too much box office competition these days with big budget action adventure special effects extravaganzas. Frankly I expect Episode VII to do Avengers like numbers, making somewhere around $1.4 to 1.5 billion internationally.

Yancy

14. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    So is December all but confirmed then?... I find this really quite a surprise if it is.

15. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

No, it's not.

16. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I always see a movie for my birthday in December (the 19th - right when they release those Christmas-slot movies.) I can't think of a better present!

17. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    No, December 2015, or Sumner 2016 may be dates that Lucasfilm wants, but once George signed on the line that is dotted those decisions were taken out of Lucasfilm's hands. These are Disney decisions now, and Bob Iger and company are going to do what they view as best for their stock holders.

Yancy

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What else is coming out December 2015?

19. sigur

sigur Jedi Knight

Sep 16, 2013
    Interesting discussion regarding the box office for Avatar but I suspect the figures are artificially high due to the cost of 3d tickets.

sethg and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  20. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    True, but the fact remains, the number of ticks sold for the OT and PT do not spell some $800 million blockbuster in the US. Mid 400-500 is far more realistic for a franchise which will be on its 7th movie.

Yancy

21. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Not sure how I feel about this. Sorry if I am repeating some points here (only read through a few pages) but Star Wars is an event I always tie to having a May release with. I definitely want it done right though, so December would be ok just... weird. At that point I'd almost just as soon wait 5 more months for a May 2016 release date.

Then again who am I kidding, I'd watch production sketches being flipped page by page by a Disney/Lucasfilm intern right now as they did the music and sound effects with their mouth. Love me some Star Wars!

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Bond films used to be summer ordeals until Goldeneye came along and was released November '95. Likewise with Trek until recently.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I vote a Spring/Summer release date for VII. To me Star Wars and a winter release date just don't seem to work well...

24. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Winter is the new Summer :cool:

25. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I can't imagine Avatar 2 will do anything at all close to the first. There seems to be very little buzz about it so far and other than effects, the first wasn't exactly well-loved.

That said, I would prefer SW sticks to the May releases. It won't kill me if it changes or anything, but I would like it to remain a May event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.