main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If Luke is married, what 50-60 year old actress would you cast?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by T-R-, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Somebody being gay isn't a damn socio-political statement.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No, but putting it in a movie might be interpreted as such.
    I do not feel that adding such a relationship would necessarily add anything to the story. Everything that happens in a movie should be there for a reason, adding stuff just for the sake of adding stuff is not the way to go. This applies to anything and everything, not just character relationships and sexuality.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Too young. She's only 38. Hot, but too young.

And to others, please get the conversation back on topic, i.e. casting an ACTRESS as Luke's wife.

Echo-07 and Ryus like this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Aw, come on, don't be that way. I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I just don't think it works or makes the same kind of sense as it would with a new character, but YMMV.

I do agree Star Trek has a history of showcasing the "better future" (I'm sure there's a term Trekkies have for it) as a part of it's mission statement as a production. I don't know much about the franchise, but I've an older friend who's been into ST since TOS, and we've spoken about it. I know I've seen Roddenberry address this, too.

My apologies to T-R-. I just wanted Downunder to know there are no hard feelings. :)

Back on topic, I think Julianne Moore is pretty fantastic, but doesn't feel like a perfect fit to me. Same issue with Sigourney Weaver.

Out of all of the great suggestions so far, Connie Nielsen, of Gladiator fame, rings the truest for me.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hi. :) We have a wonderful forum called the Senate where debating socio-econo-political-enviro-nomic issues is most welcome. This particular forum happens to not be the Senate. Luke being gay as a possibility is a wonderful topic for this thread... debating homosexuality as a sociopolitical point... not so much. Kthanxbye

6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    There are parts of the story where ethnicity and sexual preference don't really matter and there are parts that require specifics of both. For example, if the PT gave us two black gay men as both being Luke and Leia's biological parents, the question of how that is possible would be too distracting to fully credit it. However, it doesn't matter in the least what ethnicity or sexual preference Leia's adoptive father is. In fact, if Bail had said "My husband and I have always talked of adopting a baby girl" it would have been even more unquestionable why he's adopting.

Darth Raiden and Count Yubnub like this.
  7. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012

I'm starting a petition for the 50th anniversary Ultra Special Editions to feature this.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Wait though- Luke's sexual identity really hasn't been established, aside from references in the novelization of ANH about him being enamored with Leia (I read it before ROTJ came out, I don't know if they changed those passages in the new release of the novels), but that would establish him more as someone with the sexuality of a hillbilly in a small town in back woods of Texas....

I've got it- they could say Luke was a cross-dresser, and have a female character from another SW movie actually turn out to be Luke in drag- that would be a bigger shock than the "I am your father" line!

9. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    [​IMG]

Susanna Thompson - Age 55

I was watching an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine last night in which she guest starred and thought she was very good. She also plays a Borg Queen in a couple Voyager episodes, and currently portrays Moira Queen in the Arrow tv series, so she is no stranger to genre productions.

Hogsquattle likes this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Here's a serious idea (but I doubt he'll be married):

[​IMG]

Michelle Yeoh.

Darth_Pevra and Count Yubnub like this.
  11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
  12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Yoish! That was sobering [face_sick]

plaidphoenix and The Hellhammer like this.
  13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

DL44Jo and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Lando's sister.

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    She looks at Luke "Hello, what have we here?"

Trebor Sabreon and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    She also has a moustache.
    It's a Calrissian family trait.

Ryus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Luke is a furry?

18. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
  19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Nah. Leia, though...

[​IMG]

TKT likes this.
  20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I know it's a reflection of our society, but I would be impressed if they married Luke to someone who was just fairly average looking. Even the EU is guilty of this, marrying Luke to the gorgeous redhead Mara Jade. As a Jedi, I would imagine that Luke would choose a partner (assuming he's changing Jedi marriage rules at all) who is compatible with him on an understanding of the Force and the galaxy, not necessarily the hottest woman in town. But it's Hollywood, and we as people often prefer the good-looking people over the average looking ones regardless of their other traits, so his wife will probably be some gorgeous graying actress like Rene Russo, or whoever =P

leiamoody and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

What? She's a frakkin' toaster, she doesn't age!

Ryus and TKT like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    She's not that old is she?

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Erm, yes and no. If you're counting when she popped outta her Cylon rebirthing thingie, that varies from dozens or hundreds of years to a few years to days to weeks to hours. (Them Cylons have a high turnover rate. Also there's a lot of her. Which all look alike.) If you're talking her "soul", it's a 10,000 years old at least. Maybe a millennia or more if you take the final scene of the series into account. Gal gets around!

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What? No I meant the actress obviously.

25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Not to reopen the she's taller then Mark discussion, but how about Jamie Lee Curtis?

[​IMG]

DarthRelaxus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.