main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Episode VII coming out in Dec 2015?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

The deadline for the theatrical release is May.

They aren't shooting for the home video deadline.

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    except Iger said summer 2015. Iger publicly said he wanted Summer (read May) 2015. All references to December are speculation. As is KK wanting 2016.

3. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    As I have said before, I have a hard time believing the Dennis Barbie was referring to the DVD/BD release in his response to me.

Diggs and Momotaros like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey I liked Avatar just fine as a fun sci-fi epic that wasn't entirely original but very easy on the eyes.

5. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

I can't imagine it would be in September, especially with all the kids in school. Thanksgiving weekend or sometime in December makes more sense.

6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I have a hard time believing Iger said summer 2015 but Dennis Barbie knows the real date.

ManaByte likes this.
  7. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008

Honestly, I just hope we find out today so this can all be put to rest.

T-R- likes this.
  8. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Based on what? No where in the article does it say May. The tight time frame he's talking about could still be Dec. Remeber KK and others wanted 2016. Also Dennis Barbie works for Disney. Well he did before he blabed info. I'm sorry,but him going oh I'm guessing after he was caught in the cookie jar. Doesn't change the words he said. It wasn't based on DVD/BD either. That's a cop out. He was told the info by Disney thinking he keep quiet. He blabed and got in trouble for it.

Corax78 likes this.
  9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I don't remember KK and the others wanted 2016. That's never been proven.

What has been proven is KK knew about the ST prior to 10/2012 when it was announced as 2015. She was hired to make it happen.

Iger has stated publicly summer 2015.

We only know what Dennis Barbie said he saw. That doesn't mean he interpreted it correctly.

10. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    KK and the writers wanting 2016 was just posted a week ago by Hollywood Reporter. Maybe you were away when it was posted I don't know,but THR did post it. Also Iger is entitled to change his mind. What he said a month ago. Doesn't mean he thinks the same way now.

11. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Pablo's response to that article is perfect:

Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
    @Momotaros_KP People will believe anything. Unless, of course, it is explained plainly and attributed through an official source. :)

12. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Jesus, EVRY Star Wars film has had bad reviews, what part of that do you not get. So now you have gone to the quintessential move of anyone losing an argument, strawmen, and moving the goal post of the argument. Did I ever say TPM was universally praised and received no negative reviews? No, what I pointed out were a few things:

1) As the previous Rotten Tomatoes editorial said which I linked to, that at the times of their respective releases (mening in the first 1-2 months of release), using established media/newspaper critics (not the reviewer from Joblo.com, AICN, or any number of "film fan" and sci-fi blogs) that TPM was better reviewed than TESB or ROTJ. I also pointed out that Cinemascore (meaning filmgoers) gave the film an A rating. That does not comport with your assertion that the reviews for TPM were bad and audiences didn't like it.

2) Mr. Rob's chart while a noble effort is a little bit of a farce because of a number of factors:

a) When studios adjust for inflation they use average ticker prices for the year. An average ticket price is a formula which adjust for varying ticket prices throughout the country, for percentage of tickets sold at matinées that year, AND percentage of tickets sold to children in that year. So trying to guesstimate how many children's seats are sold vs. full price adult tickets is incredibly difficult. So the way we figure butts in seats is:

Gross/ticket price That gives us our average number of viewers. So in 1977 and average admission was $2.23 so divide that number by $216 million, which was how much money ANH took in before it's Summer 78 re-release, which gives us a total of 96.8 million people more or less... With matinées and children's admissions the number is probably higher, but those kinds of numbers are not available. In 1999 Phantom Menace made $431 million with an average ticket price of $5.08. So again using the formula roughly 84.8 million people saw TPM, a number which exceeds both ROTJ and TESB during their original release.

b) This one I'm really stunned with. I'm sure you really thought you got me with Mr. Rob's total number of viewers. I'm sure you were super excited and thought, "Man, this guy is an idiot, I'm going to lay some education down on his Prequel loving behind!" Look at these numbers!!!!:

13 100.8 Star Wars Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) (Fox) George Lucas M
    14 100.4 Star Wars Ep. V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (Fox) George Lucas M
    15 98.9 The Exorcist (1973) (WB) William Friedkin n M
    16 96.0 Star Wars Ep. I: The Phantom Menace (1999) (Fox) George Lucas

But did you bother to even look at the footnote indicated by the M???

M: This film has been released more than once (or has been showing every year since its release, in the case of Rocky Horror); the admission total shown here is the total for all release years. In all such cases, the box office for each year was adjusted for inflation separately before adding the years together.

He's included every release, including the Special Edition re-releases in this total. So the "universally" praised Empire Strikes Back managed to ONLY muster a whopping 4 million more viewers after you include the 1982 summer re-release, the 1983 end of year re-release AND the Special Edition. =D=

Bravo!!!

Yancy

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Exactly. THR can post that the moon is made or real cheese, but that doesn't mean it is.

Pablo basically said people believe a BS report in THR but refuse to believe the only official statement of summer 2015.

14. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Did you even read my tweet right. I asked Pablo about the conflict between KK and Iger. He was addressing that. It had nothing to do with the release date.

Here my tweet..

Momotaros@Momotaros_KP 31 Oct
    @infinata So what do you think of THR story of in fighting between KK and Iger?

See no mention of a release date.

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    And the article from THR talking about conflict between KK and Iger was centered on the release date.

16. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    No it was centered on the scripted problems. Yes the released date was mention in the article,but the center of the story was about the script. Honestly,It seems ManaByte and you wont even allow for a dicussion on another possible released date. Like some how if it doesn't come out in May. Your summer is ruined.

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    the story said the sript drama was JJ and Arndt and the release date was KK and Iger.

18. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

If think TPM was well recieved by fans and critics at the time, you clearly weren't around at the time, and are just refusing to accept the evidence (such as Smith addresses the issues people had with the movie at hte time).

1) I'm not old enough to remember of ESB and RotJ was positively or negatively reviewed when they were released. Regardless, it dosn't change that TPM recieved mixed, at best, reviews when it was released, from both fan and critics. We also know that ESB and RotJ are now more favorably viewed by fans and critics.

Normally, when someone has to ignore all other info and "ONLY THIS ONE THING that proves my point is right", they're wrong and clinging to the one thing they have. However, even if I give you TPM being the 2nd most successful movie in the series, that is in no way proof of its quality, and the fact that neither of the follow 2 movies did as well would indicate that at least some people who went to see TPM didn't go to see the others.

19. LordGarthNader

LordGarthNader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
  20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Well there you have it. Time to start the countdown.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  22. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    So it's December 18th of 2015. Well the fall of 2015 will be packed with Episode VII merchandize.

Momotaros likes this.
  23. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    It's funny how everyone on the Star Wars facebook page is flipping out - DECEMBER RELEASE?? WHY NOT MAY??? DISNEY IS RUINING STAR WARS.

Many people actually said this release date is "ruining" the franchise. Several said they would rather wait an additional 5 months to release it in May 2016.

I get the May thing is a tradition, but does it really matter that much? When I was 7 and I fell in love with Star Wars watching the original trilogy VHSs, not once did I ever think "I love Star Wars because all the movies were released in the same month." It probably wasn't until Episode II or III came out when I even realized "Hey, all the prequels were released around the same time" and then looked up the originals and noticed the trend. It's funny how people react to news.

24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To hell with the "holy" May release date. That's one of the more absurd complaints.
    Closely behind the one that the franchise is doomed because there won't be a 20th Century Fox fanfare at the begining.

DowClimber and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A new era deserves a new tradition. Maybe they'll start releasing them in December now. I can't think of a better Christmas present than a new SW movie. :D

Diggs and The Hellhammer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.