main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Geez, that's all it takes for him?

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Locked & Merged w/ RQT.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Current question: Why did the poor moisture farmers Lars who had just suffered a traumatic loss (and one of manpower as well since Shimi isn't around to help anymore) and Clieg is missing a freakin leg, allow the all-powerful Jedi Anakin Skywalker and the rich Naboo senator in her shiny silver ship steal Threepio? Was the droid just really bad at his job? Did Anakin truly have that much of a claim over it? Did Anakin even say anything or just go "My droid. Yonik!"

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    If I recall correctly, per movie only, once they heard the message from Obi-Wan, they pretty much take off with whomever/whatever is on board without so much as a fare thee well.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Perhaps Owen told Anakin he could keep Threepio prior to that scene? I haven't read the AOTC novelization in ages, so I can't recall if it is in there or not.

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    This trooper is a total badass:
    [​IMG]
    Does he have an identity/backstory yet?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahaha, so they just flat-out bounced and Threepio had wandered his way onto the ship. Poor Lars'. "Hey, where'd the droid go?" *Phhooowowwwwwshhhh* ".....dammit."

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    What were the Lars going to do?
    Tell him he couldn't take back what he made? Or, that he couldn't have the only thing that belonged to his mother?

Threepio belonged to Anakin who gave the droid to his Mother.... when Shmi died, ownership transferred to her sole heir.
    Notice how Golden Rod didn't say a peep about not being able to leave with them in AOTC, but during Star Wars, he was very concerned about what his new masters thought. He left Tatooine without any fuss because he was with his proper owner.

9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The official explanation in the third draft of the script was that Owen gave 3PO to Padmé after she went through the trouble of finishing him. Though with all the re-writes, it remains somewhat of a plot hole, as an explanation was not given in its place. Either way, I'd bet it was still through Owen that they were given 3PO.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's in the AoTC novelisation:

p273:

"Well, Padme," Owen said, and when she turned to regard him, Padme saw that he was grinning widely. "I'm returning this droid to Anakin. I know that's what my mom would want."

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Nice touch, calling Shmi "my mom"... I prolly shouldn't have skipped that Novel. :p
    (Only film novelization I haven't read)

12. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    Yoda was nearly killed. Obi Wan would have in a heartbeat...

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd say Lucas's intention was that Mace, Yoda and Sidious exceeded all others. Obiwan, Anakin and Dooku a little way back. Based on that, the answer to the OP's question is obvious. Net result: two OT characters dead by the end of the PT.

14. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Obi-Wan would die, but Yoda would kill Anakin Skywalker, if it came to that. Then, Yoda would have taken Luke to Dagobah, and trained him as a boy. Then Yoda and Luke would defeat the Empire together, Yoda acting more as a Guru than a warrior.

15. laserbrain

laserbrain Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2013
    I can't remember the answer to this question but did Palpatine engineer the entire conflict with the republic and the droid army (by making deals with the TF) to create a reason for drumming up fear to create an even bigger army that he planned to control?

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  17. laserbrain

laserbrain Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2013
    ha...i knew it!! thank you

18. laserbrain

laserbrain Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2013
    Ok and so the whole Clone from Jango Fett thing......I don't remember that part of the story...execute order 66 and all. Could someone please fill me in on that backstory or link me to it?

19. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Well, ya see, there was this kid called Boba, and he had a brother who was more like his father (don't worry, they don't end up kissing at any point) and they were scoundrels,
    so the sith wanted to use them to create the Grand Army of the Republic, so that they could start a war, and then, through some round about means, blame it all on the jedi.

War broke out, and the sith, who happened to control both sides of the war, set things up so that the clones would kill the jedi at the appointed time. The sith invoked order 66,
    and the rest is history!

Well, it's all history, since it was a long time ago.

Just in case I missed something, here's a link that MIGHT offer more detail. No promises though <_<

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66

20. laserbrain

laserbrain Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2013
    Thanks Aegon. But is this explained in the movie? See I have recently just revisited the PT and this is probably only the second time I've watch each one. So maybe I missed something or I just forget....? I'll check the link in the meantime. Thanks again

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  21. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Haha. Don't mind my posting style. I just like to have a little fun when I can. You asked a perfectly valid question. The prequels can be kind of confusing, and it's easy to miss details, because a lot of them aren't explained outright. A lot of them are hinted at, and alluded to, or sometimes momentarily glossed over.

The part about the sith setting up the clone army is mentioned when Jango Fett claims that he was hired by a man called Tyranus, who is a sith lord, and is also known as Count Dooku in many circles.
    Of course, you know that Senator Palpatine was actually the sith lord, Darth Sidious, who both leader of the Republic, and Master to Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus. Once the end of the war was near, Palpatine/Sidious, as the leader of the Republic had grabbed enough political authority to order the clones to execute the jedi.

cohanratt likes this.
  22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The prequels suffer a bit from not explaining a lot of background stuff clearly. The whole Sifo-Dyas mess easily comes to mind. Thankfully, the EU has filled in those gaps and the background of the Clone Wars makes a lot more sense now.

Circa TPM, Sifo-Dyas was a Jedi who perceived that the day would soon come that the Republic would need an army. He contacted the Kaminoans and inquired what it would take to create a clone army. Palpatine found out about this and ordered his new apprentice Dooku to murder Sifo-Dyas and erase Kamino from the Jedi Archives. Dooku then proceeded to recruit Jango Fett to be the clone template, and Dooku's immense wealth helped fund the army. Then Dooku publicly announced his departure from the Jedi Order and began inspiring systems to leave the Republic. He built up his own following with the various big corporations as well as the bitter Trade Federation.

Palpatine and Dooku were in league the entire time, each knowing what moves the other side was planning to make. Once the "cold war" part of the conflict reached the boiling point, hostilities began on Geonosis and the war began in earnest. Palpatine and Dooku carefully orchestrated the war, ensuring that neither side got many decisive victories. The Jedi became overstretched and overwhelmed by the vastness of the war. Palpatine even planted the seeds to make the general public belief that the Jedi were the instigators of the war and were involved in prolonging the fighting. After that, it was easy to make the Jedi seem like villains once Order 66 was issued. And that made it all that much easier for Palpatine to seize complete control and declare himself Emperor.

Iron_lord and laserbrain like this.
  23. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The short answer is that Palpatine planned everything -- or noted it and turned it to his advantage.

It's what all greedy, power-obsessed people tend to do: engineer demand and discord when they can and profit from it the rest of the time.

Two good interlinkings on this level:

1) Palpatine, transforming into Sidious, flicking his eyes back and forth as Anakin and Mace argue over what's to be done with him.

2) Qui-Gon, at the dinner table in the Shmi Skywalker household, watching Anakin and his mother argue over podracing.

The second example is quite brief and less villainous than the first (Qui-Gon seems to genuinely relent: "Your mother's right"), but there is something to be said for a powerful authority figure watching the commoners argue.

Especially in their own home.

There are many strands of genius here.

24. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Cryogenic, you never stop being genius, yourself.
    Seems like you've been away a long time.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    We have a place for things like this....